Nest Hello - Now available in UK

Soldato
I do kind of feel for those that have dropped a massive amount of money into the ecosystem if they felt they had more control over the hardware so they could control the products using the API. That guy that dropped nearly $3k in nest products is steaming!

Soldato
After setting up a motion zone (and turning off all other motion notifications) - I still get 2 random motion notifications through the night...

Caporegime
OP
After setting up a motion zone (and turning off all other motion notifications) - I still get 2 random motion notifications through the night...

it will likely be from a car driving by the headlights causing what looks like motion to appear in the main zone. or a bird flying past or even a bat maybe? i've had birds flying past set mine off.

Soldato
it will likely be from a car driving by the headlights causing what looks like motion to appear in the main zone. or a bird flying past or even a bat maybe? i've had birds flying past set mine off.

I've had a few birds trigger it before, which isn't too often - But the ones overnight appear to be; 1 when the night vision turns off, and the other looks like the camera dims very slightly and then back up again (almost like it was going to fall asleep or something :p).

Last night, I had just one motion trigger at 4:57 - No animals or cars around, just as if the camera has had to readjust to the light for some reason...

Caporegime
OP
I've had a few birds trigger it before, which isn't too often - But the ones overnight appear to be; 1 when the night vision turns off, and the other looks like the camera dims very slightly and then back up again (almost like it was going to fall asleep or something :p).

Last night, I had just one motion trigger at 4:57 - No animals or cars around, just as if the camera has had to readjust to the light for some reason...

if it's just 1 trigger then i wouldn't worry about it. probably an anomaly not worth worrying about.

Soldato
if it's just 1 trigger then i wouldn't worry about it. probably an anomaly not worth worrying about.

Every night though is a bit annoying...

Is there no way to turn down the sensitivity on the motion notifications? I'm also getting notifications throughout the day (2 already this morning) with nothing happening, apart from a cloud or leaf moving :p

Caporegime
OP
Every night though is a bit annoying...

Is there no way to turn down the sensitivity on the motion notifications? I'm also getting notifications throughout the day (2 already this morning) with nothing happening, apart from a cloud or leaf moving :p

i get them too. you could make the main activity zone smaller. i believe it may catch areas just outside the zone.

Soldato
Had mine running a few weeks off the TLC transformer and all is well. Actual output is around 16v, with no load, although nest only needs 12.

Already paid for itself... Caught kid stealing post from letterbox and tracked them back to their house.

Evidently it was only a leaflet for a curry house!

Soldato
I'm surprised more people on a fairly techie forum aren't annoyed by Google cutting off so much third party integration. I'm really glad I went with Hive (who are now selling TRVs) and Ring in my house now.

Already paid for itself... Caught kid stealing post from letterbox and tracked them back to their house.

Evidently it was only a leaflet for a curry house!
You must have valuable curry house leaflets if tracking down the kid who stole it paid for the cost of the Nest Hello. ;)

Soldato
Do you have a security system that shoots GPS darts at trespassers too?

Haha lucky enough I had his bike clocked... And saw direction he left. Guy was cycling around outside his house .. so paid his dad a visit and showed him footage!

We didn't know it was a leaflet until the end, thought he had stole a letter.

Soldato
Its had a firmware update to work off 12v now.

So long as its recent stock with latest firmware on it you will be fine.

If you buy old stock you may have issues.
Thanks, hopefully getting a new one won't be a problem. I'm more worried about the VA. I've read the Hello needs 0.8 amps and my transformer appears to be 0.6. I'd prefer not having to switch it out as it's in my hallway entrance and the uprated transformers appear to be DIN railed with large ugly enclosures.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks, hopefully getting a new one won't be a problem. I'm more worried about the VA. I've read the Hello needs 0.8 amps and my transformer appears to be 0.6. I'd prefer not having to switch it out as it's in my hallway entrance and the uprated transformers appear to be DIN railed with large ugly enclosures.

I bought a enclosure off screwfix but the sparky managed to install it in my fuse box.

So I have a spare one as I couldn't be bothered to return to screwfix as it isn't nearby.

Decided to keep it in case I need it in future. Likely won't but if you want to buy one trust message me.

Soldato
Decided to keep it in case I need it in future. Likely won't but if you want to buy one trust message me.
Cheers, I'm thinking I may need an electrician for all this in the end as I've got a fused switch next to the current doorbell transformer, which might be easier to convert to a normal socket and use one of those plug-in transformers.

Back
Top Bottom