Went over a pot hole and had a blowout - is my alloy wheel repairable?

Soldato
OP
It is worth doing if it's a more expensive repair - my father went over a pot hole and destroyed front and rear alloys and tyres. About £900 in repair, but got all of it back from the council. Though it took a while if I remember correctly...

Fantastic - I'll look more seriously into then.

I'm in the minority but if there is somewhere local I'd at least see how much it would be to have it repaired.

No guarantee that a used one from eBay isn't going to have issues that you later discover (e.g. invisible cracks, or needs huge amount of weights to balance)

From what I'm hearing you might as well use the cost of repair to contribute buying a new one, or one that's taken from a salvaged car / broken for parts.

Should be repairable.

But my question

How did you manage to hit a pothole so big to cause that? Too busy on your phone?

It wasn't a phone. It wasn't anything. I was driving down a country road, going around a bend, and suddenly a pot hole appeared. There's nothing sinister about it as you're implying.

The council didn’t ask me anything about insurance when I claimed (successfully). It’s worth putting in a claim after you’ve assessed the full extent of the damage and had it sorted; it’s not your fault the roads are in such poor condition.

This is good to hear - which council was it?

Not sure where the link between insurance and the council comes from. The process can take a while but they are both entirely independent.

I've read online some councils are asking if claimants have notified their insurers of damage. Technically it is damage, and technically if I am trying to recover losses I should notify my insurance company.

Soldato
Fantastic - I'll look more seriously into then.

From what I'm hearing you might as well use the cost of repair to contribute buying a new one, or one that's taken from a salvaged car / broken for parts.

It wasn't a phone. It wasn't anything. I was driving down a country road, going around a bend, and suddenly a pot hole appeared. There's nothing sinister about it as you're implying.

I've read online some councils are asking if claimants have notified their insurers of damage. Technically it is damage, and technically if I am trying to recover losses I should notify my insurance company.

Yea cause pot holes just jump out at you :p

Soldato
are you trolling or are you serious?
I'm quite serious.

I've only got two in my life, because I was distracted by something or someone.

I've seen people drive right at massive ones. Then look completely shocked at what happened.... Like.. where were they looking????

People are on auto pilot these days or distracted, only reason for hitting s pothole large enough to do serious damage imo.

Soldato

Surrey County Council.

I'm quite serious.

I've seen people drive right at massive ones. Then look completely shocked at what happened.... Like.. where were they looking????

People are on auto pilot these days or distracted, only reason for hitting s pothole large enough to do serious damage imo.

The one I hit was on a bend, on a narrow unlit road, in the pouring rain on a dark winter's evening. It's not always easy to avoid them in time.

Man of Honour
On an unlit road at night, potholes are not always clear. Also, on NSL roads they are often exactly on the line you are using - and at those speeds swerving is not always an option (particularly if the road is also narrow)

Same goes for on crests etc.

Soldato
Surrey County Council.

The one I hit was on a bend, on a narrow unlit road, in the pouring rain on a dark winter's evening. It's not always easy to avoid them in time.

How fast were you going?
Those conditions require a slower speed, a speed that should not have caused a massive dent in an alloy wheel.

Don
How fast were you going?
Those conditions require a slower speed, a speed that should not have caused a massive dent in an alloy wheel.

I think you've gone quite far enough with your interrogation...

I'm quite serious.

Oh so you must have been on the phone then?!?!?!?
[/accusation]

Soldato
How fast were you going?

Maybe 15mph? It was on a tight bend. Didn't trash the wheel, just burst a tyre. Council paid for 2 new tyres. Pothole was repaired a day later.

As Lopez said, not all potholes are clear until it's too late. Clearly not everybody has super speed reactions like you :p

Soldato
To be fair, if Diagro hit a polehole, he would fixing things from now till christmas :D

Last time I hit one was in my Clio 172.
Was actually forced off the road by a tractor coming the over way.
Alloy was fine, but bend the control arm and killed the steering rack.

Associate
Last time I hit one was in my Clio 172.
Was actually forced off the road by a tractor coming the over way.
Alloy was fine, but bend the control arm and killed the steering rack.
Did he put a gun to your head and "force you off the road"?
Or were you just going to fast to stop?
Or distracted by your phone?
Driving on country lanes with tractors on requires a slower speed.

Soldato
OP
Only Diagro is able to supply expert witness testimony concluding from 4 lines of a forum post that the driver must have been on his phone, or distracted, given that they damaged their wheel by driving over a pot hole.

Soldato
Did he put a gun to your head and "force you off the road"?
Or were you just going to fast to stop?
Or distracted by your phone?
Driving on country lanes with tractors on requires a slower speed.

Heh,

I was just tootling along.
He poos out of a field from behind a large hedge. He turned to face me. Then he just started driving at me.
Was a narrow road so all I could do was pull to the side, went down a ditch after hitting quite a large missing chunk of road.
That was a fun day.

Soldato
Only Diagro is able to supply expert witness testimony concluding from 4 lines of a forum post that the driver must have been on his phone, or distracted, given that they damaged their wheel by driving over a pot hole.

I gave my own opinion.
Don't like it? Don't read it ;)

Associate
Heh,

I was just tootling along.
He poos out of a field from behind a large hedge. He turned to face me. Then he just started driving at me.
Was a narrow road so all I could do was pull to the side, went down a ditch after hitting quite a large missing chunk of road.
That was a fun day.

How come you didn't just stop instead of pulling off the road?
Especially as you were only "tootling" along so surely plenty of time to press the brake pedal?

Soldato
Should be repairable.

But my question

How did you manage to hit a pothole so big to cause that? Too busy on your phone?

A bit sarky that - I wrecked a tyre and wheel before mobiles were invented - Hole just happened to be full of water.
Also got money back from council.

Soldato
How come you didn't just stop instead of pulling off the road?
Especially as you were only "tootling" along so surely plenty of time to press the brake pedal?
Then what?
Let him drive into me?

I moved over moments before he passed. He just barged on past

Back
Top Bottom