• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Permabanned
WOW think i will order a couple and hide them away for a few years!

What for? :confused: You know in a month or little more, you will get the upgraded Ryzen 3000, and these Ryzen 2000 will lose the value.
Look, if the launch hadn't been so soon, then some doubt would have been there but it isn't.

Associate
What for? :confused: You know in a month or little more, you will get the upgraded Ryzen 3000, and these Ryzen 2000 will lose the value.
Look, if the launch hadn't been so soon, then some doubt would have been there but it isn't.
was being a bit sarky lol ....these are pointless,should have had a preorder for zen3

Associate
4 core Zen 2 Engineering Samples have apparently been relatively widely distributed to partners, with all core boost set at 4.5Ghz.

That in mind, unless there's some kind of absolute frequency wall, we should be seeing 5Ghz at the very least on overclocks of more expensive better binned chips (likely on a newer or refined stepping too).

I wouldn't rule it out for stock boost on some higher bins.

With 15% IPC uplift and potentially better scaling in multi threading due to IF improvements, Intel could be in quite a bit of trouble.

Soldato
Actual pictures of the special edition Ryzen 7 2700X(not renders):
https://akiba-pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/news/1182783.html

ry2.jpg

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Very disappointing. Could have taken the oportunity to release a 'special' 2700X that had like a 4.4 boost or something. They already bin dies capable of that for the 2950X, divert a few to these 50th edition chips and you'd have a product worth a glance. But even then with the 3000's round the corner... it's bad timing.

Soldato
4 core Zen 2 Engineering Samples have apparently been relatively widely distributed to partners, with all core boost set at 4.5Ghz.

That in mind, unless there's some kind of absolute frequency wall, we should be seeing 5Ghz at the very least on overclocks of more expensive better binned chips (likely on a newer or refined stepping too).

I wouldn't rule it out for stock boost on some higher bins.

With 15% IPC uplift and potentially better scaling in multi threading due to IF improvements, Intel could be in quite a bit of trouble.
If true, that does suggest a rather good product. 4 cores boosting to 4.5 GHz on all cores means better binned parts should be capable of 4.6-4.7 GHz all core boost, which implies 4.8-5.0 GHz single core boost. If IPC uplift is the rumoured ~10% then that is huge for the market. (I know everyone is quoting 15% but you know, hype train, best case scenario, and all that).

What exactly is the 40 lanes of PCIe 4.0 news about? If it's provided by the chipset and there's still a bottleneck of 4 lanes between the CPU and chipset, it's not all that useful, surely?

Last edited:
Soldato
What exactly is the 40 lanes of PCIe 4.0 news about? If it's provided by the chipset and there's still a bottleneck of 4 lanes between the CPU and chipset, it's not all that useful, surely?

It's a curious choice if true, PCIe 4 being higher bandwidth and then adding more lanes. Surely increases complexity/costs of the chips and boards to break it out

Associate
Intel will probably be in as much trouble as they were when AMD released Athlon 64. There's enough Intel fanbois out there to keep buying there poducts regardless.

Far more trouble than then. Now:

They have numerous strikes against them with competition authorities already.

Their market cap and dominance recently has been much greater so they have far further to fall.

Good chance that AMD has Zen 3 on either 7nm EUV or 5nm EUV with AM4, TR4 & EPYC before Intel has 7nm / 10nm Enthusiast, HEDT or Server parts. That would be an absolute disaster for them, let alone the damage Zen 2 is going to do.

Soldato
They released PCI Express 4.0 in 2017. So we've got at least until 2021 for 5 I would have thought.

Incorrect, 4.0 devices were available 12 months after it was finalised, and the only delay was Intel/AMD on the CPU side for commercial and consumer applications. EPYC Milan will have PCI-E 5.0, and is being released to market next year.

Permabanned
They released (officially announced) PCI Express 4.0 in 2017. So we've got at least until 2021 for 5.0 I would have thought.

We have a problem right here. Should we buy boards with 4.0 which will become obsolete in only 2 years or should we wait 2 years, skip 4.0 and jump directly to 5.0.
What will happen to the 4.0 SSDs, will they be developed or the manufacturers like XPG will go straight 5.0?!

Soldato
Incorrect, 4.0 devices were available 12 months after it was finalised, and the only delay was Intel/AMD on the CPU side for commercial and consumer applications. EPYC Milan will have PCI-E 5.0, and is being released to market next year.

I suppose i was referring to consumer, rather than enterprise. But Intel's roadmap has doesn't have PCI-E 5.0 for enterprise until 2021, if AMD beat that then good for them, but can't find any info on that myself. Source?

We have a problem right here. Should we buy boards with 4.0 which will become obsolete in only 2 years or should we wait 2 years, skip 4.0 and jump directly to 5.0.
What will happen to the 4.0 SSDs, will they be developed or the manufacturers like XPG will go straight 5.0?!

As a consumer, they'll be obsolete in 2 years anyway, right? This is how technology evolves and PCI-e devices are backwards compatible. What's the problem?

Back
Top Bottom