Google apparently suspending some business with Huawei.

Associate
Will we ever get Emui 9.1 though?
Because that would be a Hauwei release and open source, with nothing to do with Google, then yes - along with any other security patches.

I definatly do not expect to get Android 10 on my device though. I expect my P30 Pro to remain the phone it is now until I decide I want an upgrade, perhaps I have low expectations but I am comfortable with that. It is without doubt the best phone I have ever had.

So there is me all settled on getting a new phone when Trump turns in to a usual ****. If i buy Huawei i know ill get security updates as per googles statements regarding phones already released but if they dont release new OSs if the ban stays in place can i just install them on the phone via the usual sites?

Soldato
So there is me all settled on getting a new phone when Trump turns in to a usual ****. If i buy Huawei i know ill get security updates as per googles statements regarding phones already released but if they dont release new OSs if the ban stays in place can i just install them on the phone via the usual sites?

Not sure what you mean by that

Soldato
If you read up on the Industrial espionage (drug companies etc.) that are attributed to Chinese state sponsored actors, then it seems pretty logical that handing control of the 5G network to the likes of Huawei is risky, albeit, we were already considering chinese reactor designs.

https://siliconangle.com/2018/05/06/winnti-umbrella-groups-linked-chinese-state-sponsored-hacking/

https://www.technadu.com/bayer-investigating-winnti-cyber-attack/63870/ april 2019

I was familiar with russian hackers - fancy bears ... but had not previously read about the chinese

Think i'll take a punt at a Mate 20 X, found a site where its bloody reasonable so it would be rude not to! Im thinking this whole thing will calm down when everyone realises how much money they will lose!

You won't regret it, best phone I've ever owned, it ticks so many boxes, I paid £700 for mine and don't regret it.

Soldato
My guess is we'll see an Android clone as Amazon did with FireOS except it will be for Chinese phone and tablet manufacturers to use on the international market. You'll probably be able to sideload the Google Play Store as you can on Amazon tablets.

Still very tempted by the 20x myself regardless of the garbage being pulled by the US. Just about ticks every one of my needs.

Seriously,

7.2" flat HDR OLED Display
Headphone jack
Stereo ATMOS speakers
Rear Fingerprint sensor (in screen FPS are hit-and-miss)
5000 mAh Battery!
Decent camera
Kirin980
World’s first liquid multi-dimensional cooling system with Vapour Chamber and Graphene Film.

The only real negative is the lower IP53 dust and water resistance rating, if this phone was IP67/68 rated it would be damn near perfect.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seriously,

7.2" flat HDR OLED Display
Headphone jack
Stereo ATMOS speakers
Rear Fingerprint sensor (in screen FPS are hit-and-miss)
5000 mAh Battery!
Decent camera
Kirin980
World’s first liquid multi-dimensional cooling system with Vapour Chamber and Graphene Film.

The only real negative is the lower IP53 dust and water resistance rating, if this phone was IP67/68 rated it would be damn near perfect.

Camera, screen size and Kirin 980, plus the fact its been out since last year so is allowed updates, its hard to find a better phone to be honest!

Well I ordered this morning, £599.99 from Amazon with the free M-Pen and Smart Cover, neither of which I'll use but they were free anyway.

Will not miss this god awful curved screen on this Samsung I have now.

Soldato
So lets say for example you get a P30 pro from o2 today as an upgrade... and in a years time you are no longer able to access the play store to get apps etc and your phone is effectively made unusable for its implied function ( yes you can argue that but not being able to install apps is pretty bad ) what is the situation with o2? i mean in effect the contract part still stands but surely you can argue that the handset ( you are still paying for ) is defective and no longer fit for use.
They will argue that its not because you used it for a year, and you will argue that due to this withdrawal of googleplay it is not longer able to function as implied at point of purchase.
I can see it being very hard to get any phone operator to help you out unless someone took it to court and made a stink.

Back
Top Bottom