Netflix subscription price rises announced

Caporegime
Yeah, I’ll be paying £12 now. Still think it’s not too bad. There’s always something I wanna watch, unlike Prime. That’s a bit stagnant compared to Netflix, and they are pumping the money into production. Not like sky, who charge you for documentary channels, then show the same programme every day for 6 months.

Associate
I'll be paying the £12 subscription fee, I'm happy with how much content I get for that money. Also, they seem to be pumping money back into new shows, with new shows/films added regularly.

In comparison, I had watched all the shows that appealed to me on prime video within a month, nothing new seems to be added lately.

Soldato
I don't mind an increase, but in percentage terms it is unacceptable. At the moment it is low enough not to worry too much. In 5 years time when it is £50 a month... perhaps we'll have already reconsidered.

Soldato
Does seem Wierd the top tier has gone up more. Also I'm surprised there's 'only' 10 million viewers in the UK, I'd have thought It would be at least double that. I agree with the above, I had prime just to watch grand tour but there's not a lot of other stuff on there.

Soldato
I must be the only one that prefers Prime. Glad im only on the Standard package, more than £10 a month and its a no from me.

Soldato
Hmm will probably cancel prime and stick with Netflix then. Prime content isn’t really that great aside from a few shows and increasingly finding amazon not to be the cheapest online option for purchases.

Caporegime
I don't mind an increase, but in percentage terms it is unacceptable. At the moment it is low enough not to worry too much. In 5 years time when it is £50 a month... perhaps we'll have already reconsidered.

There is the risk that Netflix won't be around in 5 years, you know how people kick up a fuss about different game launchers ala Epic/Origin/Steam/Uplay/etc? Well streaming TV is going to the same way.

Netflix paved the way, but as more and more content gets locked exclusively in to certain streaming services, Netflix will struggle. The Disney streaming service alone eats up SO much content, both film and TV, from Marvel/Star Wars/Fox/Disney.

Kinda explains why they have been funding so many original series.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/3/15/18225269/streaming-future-cable-netflix-hulu-disney

Soldato
The whole point of these modern "internet based" companies such as Netflix, Uber, Dollar Shave Club etc is to sell cheaply, undercutting existing "legacy" companies forcing them to compete and eventually go broke whilst still taking a big loss yourself (covered by investors). Then once you have a monopoly you ramp up the prices allowing you to pay back all the investors + profit.

Netflix is just showing that the business model they've chosen is working, and in 5-10-15 years time when it costs £30, £40, £50 etc we'll be stuck because, without much competition, Netflix can do whatever the hell they like.

Caporegime
The whole point of these modern "internet based" companies such as Netflix, Uber, Dollar Shave Club etc is to sell cheaply, undercutting existing "legacy" companies forcing them to compete and eventually go broke whilst still taking a big loss yourself (covered by investors). Then once you have a monopoly you ramp up the prices allowing you to pay back all the investors + profit.

Netflix is just showing that the business model they've chosen is working, and in 5-10-15 years time when it costs £30, £40, £50 etc we'll be stuck because, without much competition, Netflix can do whatever the hell they like.

Did you not read my post at all? :p

Soldato
Also I'm surprised there's 'only' 10 million viewers in the UK, I'd have thought It would be at least double that.
There are only about 30 million households in the UK, and a big proportion of them are probably old people. Another sizeable proportion are living in poverty, so probably can't afford a broadband connection plus netflix.

Soldato
Still worth it imo considering the amount of hours I get out of it a month. Feels like Netflix getting the last price increase in before Disney launch their service and they get competition?

Back
Top Bottom