Made in England

Caporegime
Some people already are paying their personal equivalent of that for such things, though. Others are racking up huge debts over multiple purchases through loan companies at over 1400%APR.
Cheaply made doesn't mean cheaply retailed, either. It wasn't so long ago the world was almost going to war with Nvidia over the price of their newest graphics cards... and yet a whole bunch of people still bought them.

Only because they’re weak willed, I am entirely fine with a 4 year old phone that still works, especially nowadays as the evolution of the phone has come to a crashing halt.

One cannot blame the excess of the individual on globalism. That’s for the individual to resolve. However a good regulation on usurious profiteering should be on the agenda. Clearly there is an appetite for it after the pay day loan rules.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only because they’re weak willed, I am entirely fine with a 4 year old phone that still works, especially nowadays as the evolution of the phone has come to a crashing halt.

One cannot blame the excess of the individual on globalism. That’s for the individual to resolve. However a good regulation on usurious profiteering should be on the agenda. Clearly there is an appetite for it after the pay day loan rules.

Pay day loans were targeting and exploiting individuals who were already in financial difficulties or who were vulnerable, banks and other financial institutions are highly regulated on who we lend money to, we have to do checks on customers and adhere to "TCF principles" (treating customers fairly), yet these places could sell a £500 sofa for £2000 over the course of the loan to anyone regardless of their situation. This is markedly different to Nvidia selling graphics cards at a high cost because of basically a lack of competition.

Caporegime
What a moronic post. I have nothing against goods made in other countries. It's obvious that cost of living prohibits us from manufacturing a lot of cheap goods here, I would just choose to buy British products where a suitable alternative exists.

On a side note I actually like other countries, I enjoy travelling, I make efforts to learn the local language (yes more than just Gracias), I like learning about other countries history, cultures and I respect local traditions when abroad.

Moronic statement will receive a moronic joke shocker. :p

What is moronic is to call people who want the best product regardless of origin "self hating apologist lefty".

Put 2 cars in front of me. One is a Vauxhall Astra, one is a BMW M5. I'd take the BMW thanks. There is nothing lefty about it.

If you put a Jag E-Type vs a Fiat Punto then I'll take the Jag. That isn't about wanting it made in England either. It's about wanting the better product regardless of origin. Out of all the criteria in a purchase, be it price, value, function, reliability etc etc etc, where it is made is very low on the list, like VERY low, right above whether the instruction is printed in new or recycled paper and right under if it comes with a plug.

p.s. I never questioned your will to travel…not sure how you made that leap, you compensating for something?

Associate
No, it's lefty to be against the promotion of British products because any hint of Patriotism or wanting to promote your own country is considered to be Far-right Nationalism.

Only in the internet bubble you seemingly live in, you're a textbook example of someone who needs to get out more and meet some people in real life who are left leaning and see that many peoples views are far more nuanced than you suggest. You seem to be too deeply entrenched in the internet 'culture wars' to realise this though, it's much easier to just make ridiculous generalisations about demographics of millions isn't it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll pay more for:
- better quality. If something is of a higher quality than a competitor
- preference. If something is specific to my own preference or is a niche product not made elsewhere
- convenience. If I need something urgently and it's possible to get it quicker than from a competitor

Within reason, of course.

Couldn't care less where it's made. Want me to buy British? Tick the above boxes and I'll do just that - but not because it's made in England.

Soldato
I know some people buy new phones within the same generation (ie, moving from say a samsung s10 to a pixel 3 then to something else when it's out)....same chipset lol

Smacks of someone not doing their homework and buying the wrong phone to start with

V F

V F

Soldato
I know some people buy new phones within the same generation (ie, moving from say a samsung s10 to a pixel 3 then to something else when it's out)....same chipset lol

Smacks of someone not doing their homework and buying the wrong phone to start with

More like trend followers.

Soldato
I have something "Made in London"! My Ni folding Brompton.
Proud of it? I couldn't care less to be honest but it's IMO the best of the folding bikes, if a little expensive. I paid extra to get a Nickel plated one with Titanium bits too. Good quality product although I won't say it's without fault, notably the gear change sometimes doesn#t always work smoothly but I put that down to the folding nature (cables stretching). Being a six speed working in a 3*2 setup (3 internal gears and then a high and low for each of those), the internal hub gears (sturmey archer) are fine and it's the two sprockets that sometimes not always smooth when changing between them.
Apart from that bought a few things made in France and Germany recently, notably Staub cookware(France).
It's nice to see stuff not always "Made in China" or other Asian countries. Nothing against those though as long as the quality is good which is not always the case (built down to a price for cheapness).

Last edited:
Soldato
Moronic statement will receive a moronic joke shocker. :p

What is moronic is to call people who want the best product regardless of origin "self hating apologist lefty".

This isn't what I said. What I said was that I was against people who dislike the idea of promoting British products in a positive way. The type of people who would see a Union Jack on a pack of meat and think that it was being marketed at the lowest common denominator Nationalist type. It feels unique to Britain that we would perceive negatively our own flag. A lot of people actually do feel like this.

Put 2 cars in front of me. One is a Vauxhall Astra, one is a BMW M5. I'd take the BMW thanks. There is nothing lefty about it.

They're not equivalent products, clearly. One is much higher end.

If you put a Jag E-Type vs a Fiat Punto then I'll take the Jag. That isn't about wanting it made in England either. It's about wanting the better product regardless of origin. Out of all the criteria in a purchase, be it price, value, function, reliability etc etc etc, where it is made is very low on the list, like VERY low, right above whether the instruction is printed in new or recycled paper and right under if it comes with a plug.

Again not equivalent products, one costs far more than the other and is at a different end of the market. You'd also probably not buy a car based on where it's from, I think we're discussing more every day sort of purchases, not big one off purchases with limited choices and specific criteria you're buying for.

p.s. I never questioned your will to travel…not sure how you made that leap, you compensating for something?

Compensating for the insinuation that was made that I'm xenophobic or something by stating that I dislike the idea of my phone being "made in China", it's an S9+ which is made in Vietnam apparently. Funnily enough a lot of Americans buy iPhone's because Apple is an American brand.

Caporegime
This isn't what I said. What I said was that I was against people who dislike the idea of promoting British products in a positive way. The type of people who would see a Union Jack on a pack of meat and think that it was being marketed at the lowest common denominator Nationalist type. It feels unique to Britain that we would perceive negatively our own flag. A lot of people actually do feel like this.

They're not equivalent products, clearly. One is much higher end.

Again not equivalent products, one costs far more than the other and is at a different end of the market. You'd also probably not buy a car based on where it's from, I think we're discussing more every day sort of purchases, not big one off purchases with limited choices and specific criteria you're buying for.

Compensating for the insinuation that was made that I'm xenophobic or something by stating that I dislike the idea of my phone being "made in China", it's an S9+ which is made in Vietnam apparently. Funnily enough a lot of Americans buy iPhone's because Apple is an American brand.

The car analogue isn't about higher end, it is about a better or worse car. Put 2 similar car in the same segment i would still pick the BMW M5 because there is no British made equivalent of a car in that segment that beats it IMO. That's my point. There are very few things that is identical to the nut and bolt for you to make that comparison.

Quality, value for money, does it do its job. That's what people think about.

And nobody thinks a butcher slapping a Union Jack on a piece of beef is about Nationalist, all I see is its source of origin, but you do, you somehow brought politics into this topic.

Where it is manufactured in isn't a criteria in my research when I buy something, not even in your everyday purchases. Like when i go buy my daily shopping. I want a banana....I pick a yellow one...I don't check where it is from. I want some Blueberries if its summer it will be sourced locally but if its winter then it won't. I will pick the one that looks the nicest. When i buy toilet roll I buy one that is softest on my bum...I have no clue where it is made. When I buy some olive oil, I buy the one that I like.

Even if you place 2 pieces of sirlion in front of me, I would pick the one I like the look of, one with the right fat content, the right marbling. There is no politics involved in shopping.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I'd pay more only if it were the same level of quality as I could get elsewhere. I see no point in buying British if it's worse quality and costs more. E.g., I'm not going to buy Hotpoint (I know they're not owned by a UK company anymore) when I can buy German for a similar price.

Food maybe, but only because conditions for animals are better here.

Heh as it happens I currently buy pet food from Zooplus, because I can buy products from German / Swedish manufactures who have a far higher level of quality standards for pet food than we do here, and it costs about the same price as buying from supermarkets.

.. it also means I can get random flavours like Elk :D

Back
Top Bottom