Netflix subscription price rises announced

Soldato
It is a fact of life that things go up in cost. The advantage of Netflix and others is that once you start you are not tied in forever.

What I mean is anyone saying that they will cancel as the cost goes up just need to subscribe for a few months, cancel for a few months then repeat.

That's the point of 'no contract' tv.

When Disney comes along you could alternate between rather than have both 24/7.

That is until they tie you in longer. Obviously Prime can be a year at the moment.

Soldato
There is the risk that Netflix won't be around in 5 years, you know how people kick up a fuss about different game launchers ala Epic/Origin/Steam/Uplay/etc? Well streaming TV is going to the same way.

Netflix paved the way, but as more and more content gets locked exclusively in to certain streaming services, Netflix will struggle. The Disney streaming service alone eats up SO much content, both film and TV, from Marvel/Star Wars/Fox/Disney.

Kinda explains why they have been funding so many original series.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/3/15/18225269/streaming-future-cable-netflix-hulu-disney
I’m hoping for some sort of super subscription that will give us multiple services at a reduced rate otherwise we will be going backwards not forwards!

Soldato
The price for NowTV comparison on that link is wrong, Sky cinema is shown as £9.99 where in fact it is £11.99
They did recently increase their prices. I don't think I've ever paid much more than £4/month, and that's about what it's worth. Their last cancellation offer was 3 months for £10. If they decide to try and charge full rate I won't miss it too much.

Man of Honour
Netflix is still (currently) great value. But when it goes too high I will just cancel until there is sonething I actually want to watch.

Now TV is also good for me at the moment. But once I have finished watching the box sets I am interested in then it won't be worth the price so that will get cancelled.

That's the beauty of streaming services; only pay when they have something you want.

Soldato
Netflix is still (currently) great value. But when it goes too high I will just cancel until there is sonething I actually want to watch.

Now TV is also good for me at the moment. But once I have finished watching the box sets I am interested in then it won't be worth the price so that will get cancelled.

That's the beauty of streaming services; only pay when they have something you want.
Netflix may well introduce a minimum contract length to maximise there take everyone else is looking to tie people in and I suspect they will eventually!

Soldato
Similar but hopefully without the massive price gouging! The question is will somebody be able to negotiate a deal with all the major streaming services that brings the price down to a sensible level?

Probably not, because we're heading in the complete opposite direction to that. It was in their interests to do so when it came to regular TV/satellite because it wasn't practical for companies to each offer their own TV service requiring its own hardware, infrastructure etc. These days any of them can start a streaming service and have control over their own property rather than sell it off to other service providers.

Soldato
Eh, £2 is nothing for how much use I get out of it. For all the streaming service I have (A lot. NowTV Sports, Entertainment, Movies, Netflix 4K and Amazon Prime) Netflix is by far the best and worth the price of admission. Prime has good content but their awful app on Samsung TVs always having the audio out of sync means I never use it. Luckily I like their delivery

Soldato
Netflix may well introduce a minimum contract length to maximise there take everyone else is looking to tie people in and I suspect they will eventually!

I really don't think that will happen. I can understand why some companies do it like internet/phone providers, but a service that then relies on another service to work, not going to happen. what if I cancelled my internet provider. I would then need to phone netflix/prime/now tv/bbc iplayer to try and cancel them.

Soldato
Didn't realise this was a thing, but I sure have noticed it. although it doesn't always appear to be so.
Yeah it's a known issue. I am tempted to buy a Fire stick because I've heard great things about Bosch but I can never last more than 20 minutes without getting frustrated about the sound and video being out of sync. Annoying as they have quite a few good things on there now (I like American Gods, Jack Ryan and Man in the high Castle) but it's just not an enjoyable service, sadly.

Soldato
I'm still going to subscribe as Netflix has more for the kids but I actually watch a lot more on Prime than Netflix. Prime has so much more that I want to watch barring a few shows.

Soldato
I love the projections of how much it will cost. I googled for their (American) price increase history - https://www.vox.com/2019/1/16/18185...subscription-chart-original-content-streaming

It looks like April '14 is when they set out the tiered system. In 5 years Premium and Standard have gone up $4 (or 33% and around 44%) and basic just a $1 increase. That's not a lot really and when you consider how much content they're not making, it's way more then 33% or 44% more.

Man of Honour
Yeah it's a known issue. I am tempted to buy a Fire stick because I've heard great things about Bosch but I can never last more than 20 minutes without getting frustrated about the sound and video being out of sync. Annoying as they have quite a few good things on there now (I like American Gods, Jack Ryan and Man in the high Castle) but it's just not an enjoyable service, sadly.
It might also be worth looking at a Roku stick. It has an Amazon Video app so plays Prime content. But it also runs other things such as Now TV which aren't available on the Fire TV stick.

Soldato
It might also be worth looking at a Roku stick. It has an Amazon Video app so plays Prime content. But it also runs other things such as Now TV which aren't available on the Fire TV stick.

Thanks for the heads up I'll check it out! Hopefully can find a 4K one, everything else on my TV works perfectly fine just this one stupid app.

Back
Top Bottom