Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Soldato
Virtual Desktop now allows streaming of Steam VR games, like ALVR, but without the hassle of sideloading.

I don't have it on my Quest yet, but I tried it on my Go and it worked very well for Elite and IL2, no lag I could see when looking around and very clear crisp visuals - much better than my Rift. Again, as with ALVR, Project Cars 2 was quite blurry, which is a shame, as that's the one game I really could do with playing on a wireless headset as getting into and out of my Playseat Challenge is a hassle with the Rift wire.

Soldato
OP
hassle of sideloading

Oh the pain of attaching a cable and drag/drop a file....:p

Wonder if he let Oculus know about that little update I'm sure they'll be pleased as punch that an official app connects to a rival store.

Last edited:
Soldato
Virtual Desktop now allows streaming of Steam VR games, like ALVR, but without the hassle of sideloading.

I don't have it on my Quest yet, but I tried it on my Go and it worked very well for Elite and IL2, no lag I could see when looking around and very clear crisp visuals - much better than my Rift. Again, as with ALVR, Project Cars 2 was quite blurry, which is a shame, as that's the one game I really could do with playing on a wireless headset as getting into and out of my Playseat Challenge is a hassle with the Rift wire.
WTF???

Are you serious?

I can play my SteamVR games via virtual desktop now on the Quest?

Soldato
WTF???

Are you serious?

I can play my SteamVR games via virtual desktop now on the Quest?

Yep, and it actually works. It depends on the game as to how well it works, and really busy games might exhibit compression artifacts, but some games work great.

It's much easier to setup and use than ALVR. When in virtual desktop mode you just click on the Steam VR game and it'll seamlessly switch to VR mode.

Soldato
I know Carmack mentioned they were looking in to wifi tethering - I wonder if the availability of now several different wifi solutions will spur oculus to make it a reality themselves...

Seems a daft situation that you can wifi tether for steam games but not for oculus store games (well, not without the work around of revive), and perhaps oculus will be spurred to relase a wifi tether that will work natively with the PC oculus store, otherwise they are just waving goodbye to money that will go to more steam games instead.

Soldato
OP
I know Carmack mentioned they were looking in to wifi tethering - I wonder if the availability of now several different wifi solutions will spur oculus to make it a reality themselves...

Seems a daft situation that you can wifi tether for steam games but not for oculus store games (well, not without the work around of revive), and perhaps oculus will be spurred to relase a wifi tether that will work natively with the PC oculus store, otherwise they are just waving goodbye to money that will go to more steam games instead.

Don't forget the Quest, or so I have read, is being sold at a loss so they make money off people using their store and ecosystem like a console sales model. If that happened and they did lose noticeable amounts of money you really don't think they would block this?

Soldato
Well quite, but they faced a huge backlash when they blocked revive after the CV1 launch and relented... so whether they want to be seen blocking apps and limiting freedom again is perhaps up for debate.

If one assumes they don't want to block based on past experience, and indeed perhaps they realistically can't without blocking sideloading too, more of that money can be kept inside the oculus ecosystem if they offer an official wifi tethering solution that gives access to the PC oculus store.

So the money side of things was rather my point... the existence of these methods puts financial incentive on them to offer their own native solution.

Soldato
OP
Well quite, but they faced a huge backlash when they blocked revive after the CV1 launch and relented... so whether they want to be seen blocking apps and limiting freedom again is perhaps up for debate.

If one assumes they don't want to block based on past experience, and indeed perhaps they realistically can't without blocking sideloading too, more of that money can be kept inside the oculus ecosystem if they offer an official wifi tethering solution that gives access to the PC oculus store.
Not really Beat Saber, Moss etc people double dipping, double percentage cut.

There was a reason why they backed down on Revive ;)

Soldato
I’m not sure that applies particularly - where there is a native quest option I think most people would use that over tethering to the pc given the slightly less than ideal situation with compression, slight added latency, lack of portability etc.

I know that technically you can use 4G on some of these solutions with a WiFi hotspot but that would only exacerbate the negatives and use a lot of data allowance... so for a portable headset I don’t think you’d be replacing quest games with their PC version, you’d normally be using it to play games that aren’t available or are impossible on the quest.

We shall see I suppose, but if they don’t end up blocking it somehow then this does give them extra incentive for their own solution in my opinion.

Soldato
tp cast are going to release their tp air cast for the quest anyway which will probably be a rock solid stable option for wireless connection to the quest from pc.

its just annoying that oculus just don't want to support this natively or with a cheapish peripheral.

Soldato
Yeah, Oculus should really bring out their own wireless PC adapter for the Quest so it can emulate and run Oculus Rift games!

It seems like an easy win for them. Plus we really shouldn't have to buy one standalone headset and another PC one!

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Casting now working on Beat Sabre.

It gets out of sync quick (at leas on my 802.11ac network) then it has to pause for a couple of seconds to resync but it's a start.

Soldato
Echo arena and Arizona Sunshine have been announced for Quest. Fingers crossed they're cross-buy (Echo Arena should as it's Oculus published.)

Soldato
whats everyones fan noise like?

i have slight fan noise on one of my quests but it has less reflections so i wanna keep it.

It's noticeable when wearing the headset on quiet games but not too bad IMO. Likewise I seem to have a squeak coming from my right controller trigger though I can't really hear it in game.

My biggest gripe with the Quest though is the overall comfort. I just can't seem to find a sweetspot where it isn't resting too heavily on either my cheeks or forehead. It's bad enough that I'm wondering whether to return the device though I really don't want to as apart from the comfort it's amazing.....:(

I really wish they'd fitted it with an Oculus rift S / PSVR style halo band...

Last edited:
Soldato
whats everyones fan noise like?

Can't even hear my Quest's fan.

My biggest gripe with the Quest though is the overall comfort. I just can't seem to find a sweetspot where it isn't resting too heavily on either my cheeks or forehead. It's bad enough that I'm wondering whether to return the device though I really don't want to as apart from the comfort it's amazing.....:(

I really wish they'd fitted it with an Oculus rift S / PSVR style halo band...

A Halo band wouldn't be as portable. However you can make the Quest way more comfortable using a counterweight - I'm using 10,000 mAh battery attached to a cushion and it makes a big difference, as well as giving more play time. I've also added some padding to the top two straps using a modified removable headphone cushion.

Back
Top Bottom