What is this, why is it there and why can’t I use it?

Associate
I’ve seen them on pumps for years and never worked out what they’re for. I thought they were for flicking back and keeping the pump engaged without holding it until it clicked but it doesn’t do it. So, anyone know? Help me out here.

J7OkQmR.jpg.png

Associate
It's exactly what you think it's for but AFAIK it's UK regs that don't allow it to be used. You can restore functionality by carrying a suitable pin to insert into the holes in the trigger.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
They can be used to hold the valve open, but as you can see there, there is no pin for it to latch on to, thus you having to hold the valve open manually.

Those three holes are where a pin would go, so you can latch the 'hold-open' clip.

Man of Honour
It's there to make filling with fuel far less tedious and annoying and it's ridiculous we are not allowed to use it.

They can in Germany.

Associate
Same in Cyprus, was shocked coming to the UK and realising that firstly I had to put fuel in my car myself?! And then, on top of that, I have to keep squeezing the trigger?! Monsters.:mad::mad::p

Associate
Many years ago, that did what it was supposed to do.
You clicked it into place, and used your free hands to light a cigarette as the car filled up.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Many years ago, that did what it was supposed to do.
You clicked it into place, and used your free hands to light a cigarette as the car filled up.
Now we simply put the petrol cap on the trigger and boom hands free once again to vape away

Soldato
Same in Cyprus, was shocked coming to the UK and realising that firstly I had to put fuel in my car myself?! And then, on top of that, I have to keep squeezing the trigger?! Monsters.:mad::mad::p

I miss that, and drive in oil changes, windscreen cleans, 1cyp£ for new wiper blades, oh and even when they are closed they all have credit card pumps to use.

Associate
On some cars the petrol filler cap can be removed and wedged in the handle for the same thing, tried it a couple of times and it works but safer to keep an eye on things.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I don't even want to have to get out of my car when getting fuel. I want someone to fill-up for me like those American stations.

Soldato
There is a small garage close to my parents where the one guy working there insists on filling it up for you.

I'm sure health and safety will ban people from filling up their own cars eventually :p

Back
Top Bottom