Fire risks prompt tumble dryer recall - Now washing machines as well!

Soldato
Company is a disgrace.

I received my first email about the modification to the machine on 08/01/2016.

A service engineer visited on 20/01/2016 to fix an unrelated problem (The dryer would not shut off..... add that to the other problem and it was a disaster waiting to happen)....... But he would not also do the modification at the same time.

I never heard a single thing more from them and the repair estimate date kept getting put back constantly. It is at the point now where the link to the estimated repair date doesn't even work.

I had the sense to ditch the machine and buy a new one, raising a claim on my credit card to get a refund for the Hotpoint machine - They do not know that I no longer have it though.

It is a disgusting situation and I will never purchase another product from this group of companies again in future.

Caporegime
Out of interest in what way do they work that causes a fire that other dryers do not?

With ours it's the fact that lint and fluff gets dragged by the flow of air over the motor. This then causes it to overheat.
The modification is utter dog crap. The reason the lint ends up there is that the filter is badly designed and airflow can bypass it entirely.

Soldato
And I find it a chore cleaning the two filters mine has, one at the front of the door opening and over below that at the bottom of the machine.

Commissario
With ours it's the fact that lint and fluff gets dragged by the flow of air over the motor. This then causes it to overheat.
The modificat2 or ion is utter dog crap. The reason the lint ends up there is that the filter is badly designed and airflow can bypass it entirely.

Even with models that were "not affected" by the problem or "modified" to fix it there is still a problem.
We always cleaned the filter on our one (and below the filter slot) but it still built up to the point it would start to block the external vent flaps, our new one that was a replacement and not meant to have the fault has to be regularly cleaned under the filter slot because the fluff builds up visibly there

Permabanned
The modification is utter dog crap. The reason the lint ends up there is that the filter is badly designed and airflow can bypass it entirely.

That is absolutely not correct.

The problem is nothing to do with overheating at all.

Soldato
I've never seen a tumble dryer that doesn't have a load of built up fluff that has got past the second fine filter, I assumed it was sent straight out the ventilation pipe after that rather than being used to cool the motor. Surely the air leaving the tumble dryer will also contain the moisture removed from the clothing?

Soldato
That is absolutely not correct.
The problem is nothing to do with overheating at all.

well do tell us then ? because neither the government reports are not clear, the newspapers, nor inflammatory 'which',

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/whirlpool-tumble-dryer-review

afaik
What actually happens with most dryers is that these extremely fine particles of lint get passed the drum seals, drift back through the warm air supply holes and into the internal space, coating the motor and if not protected the heater. It is not possible to have an open fronted drum that will stay lint tight as the seals will have wear over time.

if they published the information people might be more warey ...

Soldato
Current "White Goods" are total crap anyway.

Best washing machine we ever had as a household was a Hoover Keymatic.

Bought in the mid 60's, we actually kept it going until the late 90's (Sadly at that time, the drum rusted out and there was no way to replace it, they didn't use SS back in the day)

It may have had only half the capacity of a modern machine, but it could also do a standard mixed wash in 45 minutes (Hot fill is your friend!)

Modern ones take hours to do the same job and dont get the clothes anywhere near as clean!

Currently I have a new Bosch, but if I have a dirty wash I now know that I have to add an extra gallon (Tipped into the detergent draw after the wash cycle has started) of water to actually get the clothes clean.

Recently I discovered this...

https://www.ebac.com/washing-machines/

(Of particular note is the ability to actually program the machine for personal cylcles very like the keymatic really. I recall my Mum getting updated program cards that allowed the old machine to operate with updated washing cycles. One day, all machines might be like this!)

Sadly, after I had already spent out on the damn Bosch.

I am almost tempted to sell the Bosch on while it still works and buy one.

(Friend of mine bought a new high end Bosch to replace her old 1980's Hotpoint (Back when they were good) about 7 years ago, It crapped out last year and they wanted more than the cost of a new machine just to look at it! She has bought another Bosch to replace it but is very disappointed in the wash quality. They just do not use enough water, even when one pushes the "Add Water" option.:( )

******* Green Nazis! :mad:

Soldato
Ours is going in the garage "just in case", though it's a Bosch so not affected by the recall but I'm assuming could be susceptible as could any dryer. What we really need is longer mandatory warranties in general as a lot of appliances now only have a 1 year warranty which is a joke.

Man of Honour
Can I just add that when all these products were manufactured at the Creda/Hotpoint/Ariston/Indesit factory in Blythe Bridge Stoke on Trent we never had these problems.
That may be because we had proper life testing and I was the Quality Audit Technician :)

Back
Top Bottom