Playing Dirt Rally on 49" ultra widescreen

Soldato
I have been playing Dirt Rally on my 49" ultra widescreen for the past few days and I have come to the conclusion that the incar view is as good as playing in vr if you get the drivers seat in the correct position.

On my 27" I couldn't play using the incar view as I couldn't see enough what was going on. but with the ultrawide its ace as I can see as far as the side windows, so its very similar to vr accept you have a better resolution and doesn't make you feel sick after a few mins of playing.

IlBBxFA.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Looking around the car and the view outside is pretty cool in vr, but when your actually racing you dont look much further left and right then in my screenshot?

I cant really look all over the place in VR anyway as it makes me feel sick big time.

Associate
Hard to really tell from that screen shot , but he would have to position himself correctly and close enough to the screen to make good. I have considered those extra wide screens, but when I have seen them in the shops running things like Assetto Corsa on Demo or PC2 they are no where near as good as just running triples. If I was to upgrade my 5760x1080 setup 144hz, I would go triples again but higher Res. At the moment there is not the GPU grunt unless i drop down the FPS. I will wait another couple of years at least. Hopefully then we will have some super dupa VR options too.

Soldato
OP
Yeah my screen shot does look slightly odd and looks like your sitting quite a way back, but when you about 12-20 inches away from the monitor, it fills up your full view, its ace.

Hard to really tell from that screen shot , but he would have to position himself correctly and close enough to the screen to make good. I have considered those extra wide screens, but when I have seen them in the shops running things like Assetto Corsa on Demo or PC2 they are no where near as good as just running triples. If I was to upgrade my 5760x1080 setup 144hz, I would go triples again but higher Res. At the moment there is not the GPU grunt unless i drop down the FPS. I will wait another couple of years at least. Hopefully then we will have some super dupa VR options too.

I have never really figured out how to get games running on multiple screens, Im guessing only some games will run on multiple screens?. Also you can only play racing sims in the incar view at full resolution or you get the strechyness/fisheye effect going on, so I play all my other games at 21:9(2560x1080) and not at 32:9 (3840x1080), so the strectyness is not as noticeable.

Soldato
Whatever works for you really!

Just out of interest have you tried changing settings to see if it helps with sickness? Can’t remember if dirt has it but something like horizon lock might help, along with turning off G-force head movement etc.

I’ve also heard something as simple as a transducer setup can help, as it helps trick your brain into believing it’s in motion (plus it’s cool!).

Personally I don’t think you can beat the 6DOF and stereoscopic 3D for immersing you in the game... But hey, as long as you are happy and having fun that’s what matters right?

Soldato
OP
I dont know if the headset is anything todo with the sickness prob, as Im only using the DK2? Its the moving forward and looking around that gets me, but If I look around slowly its not as bad.

Associate
Yeah my screen shot does look slightly odd and looks like your sitting quite a way back, but when you about 12-20 inches away from the monitor, it fills up your full view, its ace.

I have never really figured out how to get games running on multiple screens, Im guessing only some games will run on multiple screens?. Also you can only play racing sims in the incar view at full resolution or you get the strechyness/fisheye effect going on, so I play all my other games at 21:9(2560x1080) and not at 32:9 (3840x1080), so the strectyness is not as noticeable.

It`s called Nvidia Surround or Eyefinity i think for AMD, in your Graphics settings. That will set your windows across three screens, if you choose the right wallpaper ie 5760x 1080 it will be the correct fit. Things look stretched if your try to fill a screen with say a 1280x 1080 window or wallpaper for example. Iracing has some of the best triple screen support. you put in your resolution and can even adjust for beasel correction and the angles at which you sit your side screens at. Not only that you can render each screen seperatly which most people i think prefer rather than one image.

Soldato
"The other big advantage Index has is of course the 120/144 Hz which makes everything a lot smoother, this is apparently a big deal in sims too, Jeremy from Tested mentioned how a racing game that usually makes him feel nauseous didn't have that effect at all on Index due to the higher refresh rate."

Quoted from a reddit post, but I believe ars technica mentioned it also.

Associate
I'd probably agree with that (haven't tried it but sounds reasonable) but the Vive (or a CV1) will be a big enough upgrade over the DK2 that the OP is currently using.

Back
Top Bottom