Over 400 million people drink from their toilet everyday

Soldato
I understand in india there is a big push to increase the availability of toilets but many still prefer to defecate Al fresco which partially feeds it to the coubtries issues with sexual assaults.

Soldato
Many people in India simply don't have a choice tbh.. The rich and powerful there corruptly spend in areas where much of the country doesn't have electricity or fresh water.

They attract heavy industry as well as polluting factories to with low labour cost and relaxed disposal laws, knowing full well it will affect the poorest among them.

I think comparing the UK where people have the luxury of clean water and environmental education to India is a bit silly. Especially when we do stuff like ship much of our 'recycling' to be dumped into the sea across the world so we can fool ourselves into thinking we are environmentally friendly. God knows how much stuff we use that is made in india/china. Lets not pretend we are unaware of the low environmental standards - OP is as guilty as the factory workers, more so considering he has the choice.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Strangely worded OP - people doing butterfly stroke, dodging turds like the titanic dodged icebergs, and you managed to turn this back to yourself and it being ‘unfair’ :p

Caporegime
40% of India's population still openly defecates in the street. Good luck changing anything over there.

Their day to day hygiene habit is terrible, they would litter, they don’t care what the streets look like.

Until they change their mentality the country will never get cleaned.

I saw a piece on how when Indians move to the west and their little neighbourhood will slowly turn into something that resembles back home, it’s all in their behaviour even if the resources are there to keep clean.

I bet you if a bunch of Japanese moves into the neighbourhood next door it will be spotless.

Caporegime
When was the last time you went swimming in a river ?

Look at the state of most of the canals in city centres, they're almost as putrid as the ganges

Really we should be doing more, but I feel countries like India are holding us back because anything we do is going to be insignificant compared to whatever a country with over 20x our population does

Last Saturday I went swimming in a river. Was lush

Soldato
OP
Strangely worded OP - people doing butterfly stroke, dodging turds like the titanic dodged icebergs, and you managed to turn this back to yourself and it being ‘unfair’ :p

I'm not saying it's unfair I believe we should do all we can to take responsibility for cleaning up our own mess, but it's all for nothing when countries like India clearly don't give a ****

And yes, the Ganges is literally their toilet while also one of their sources of drinking water :)

Caporegime
What do you think a river outfall does? All the soap suds and road crap that finds it's way (usually through hosing) into the surface water drains - That system is designed to dilute pollutants to 'acceptable' parts-per-million before discharging back into the watercourses..

Slightly different scale..... Given the size / already massive flowrate of the ganges what additional water capacity do you think would be needed to dilute the huge amount of effluent they chuck into the thing daily, i imagine that quantity of water is simply no available, plus it would swell the river banks massively!

Commissario
40% of India's population still openly defecates in the street. Good luck changing anything over there.
Isn't that largely because there isn't the infrastructure for proper toilets in much of india, and in many areas that do have it, it's still new and facing the problem of changing the way people look at taking a poop inside.
Usually what happens is after someone realises that yes, the poop does go away when flushed, they start using the facilities where available.

Associate
So is OP an environmentalist or a racist.... can't decide, might have to check posting history.....
This post needs more love.

Having been to India and seeing both brand new swanky office buildings, the Taj Mahal and a grown man taking a crap in the a street slum - all in the same day - it really is a country of massive contrasts.

We cannot use their standards as a benchmark for our own. So no, we should be doing our bit to keep this world the right way and not just give up.

The romans brought us proper sanitation and the victorians reinvented it. Size, poverty and corruption is what stops India from doing it.

Back
Top Bottom