Poll: British Grand Prix 2019, Silverstone - Race 10/21

Rate the 2019 British Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
I'm looking forward to the next instalment of Netflix's Drive to Survive.

Unless they have contracts for next year/bring in money I can see a double driver change. I know the Haas car isn’t setting the world a light but I’m sure there will be a queue of power formula guys ready to jump in it.

Associate
Unless they have contracts for next year/bring in money I can see a double driver change. I know the Haas car isn’t setting the world a light but I’m sure there will be a queue of power formula guys ready to jump in it.
Although the infamous Magnussen to Hulkenberg retort was absolutely classic, I wouldn't miss either Magnussen or Grosjean if they were to leave F1.

Soldato
NSFW Jeremys take on F1 lol

Absolutely bang on.

When Silverstone was on, I watched the cricket. When there was a break I'd flip over to the tennis.

At half time I did watch a bit of the Fuel Ist race, when Finger ran into the back of Brat Boy, then switched back when the cricket came back on.

Couldn't even be bothered to watch the highlights.

I've been watching F1 from since the seventies, half a century ago when it used to be an incredible spectacle.

Now it's not. It's exactly the opposite, such a shame.

Man of Honour
Haha, I mean he’s a bit of a hypocrite since him and top gear never used to even talk about F1 until Hamilton came along. That said, he’s bang on about what needs to be done.

Caporegime
He's right about it being a health and safety exercise it's become the polar opposite of the Isle of Man TT in terms of safety, even though I'm not a huge motorbike fan I like to watch the TT just out of respect for drivers doing something dangerous out of the love of it. F1 used to be like that but they've become so obsessed with safety to the point of those stupid cockpit frames that nobody really respects what the drivers are doing any more and that's only made worse by so little wheel to wheel racing. I mean look at Silverstone, the stewards pretty much turned the race result upside down because they daren't remove a car sitting 20 yards off the track without a safety car because there's a 0.01% chance of a serious accident.

Man of Honour
He's right about it being a health and safety exercise it's become the polar opposite of the Isle of Man TT in terms of safety, even though I'm not a huge motorbike fan I like to watch the TT just out of respect for drivers doing something dangerous out of the love of it. F1 used to be like that but they've become so obsessed with safety to the point of those stupid cockpit frames that nobody really respects what the drivers are doing any more and that's only made worse by so little wheel to wheel racing. I mean look at Silverstone, the stewards pretty much turned the race result upside down because they daren't remove a car sitting 20 yards off the track without a safety car because there's a 0.01% chance of a serious accident.

The problem is that F1 has become too commercial for drivers to get killed.

Caporegime
I guess but it's gone too far, they're implementing safety rules around freak accidents that might happen once every 10-20 years at the detriment of the sport day in day out. It'd be like the football equivalent of making footballers wear padded body suits because every now and then someone breaks a leg. Okay so nobody in the Premier League breaks their leg anymore but the football is way worse and commercial value has plummeted as a result. Michael Schumacher had an amazing and long F1 career before half of this stuff was even brought in and more or less lost his life in a freak skiing accident, that's life. Put the FIA in charge of skiing and the slopes would be flat with people having to wear harnesses to stop them falling to the floor, yeah just take all of the fun out of it because of that one freak accident that one time.

Last edited:
Soldato
I mean look at Silverstone, the stewards pretty much turned the race result upside down because they daren't remove a car sitting 20 yards off the track without a safety car because there's a 0.01% chance of a serious accident.

The fourth anniversary of Jules Bianchi's death was just a few days after your post. Partly for that reason and the failure of proper controls to be enforced that contributed to his accident and ultimate death, I disagree with you.

Soldato
Back when I was a kid, i was excited to watch the race. Lap 1 was awesome, always enjoyed a good crash, and pit-stop and re-fuelling accidents added to the drama.

I agree it's got too safe in some regards, but lets face it, it will never go back. We can't have people getting injured or dying the entertainment.

We need to stick to original proper tracks. Walls, grass, gravel traps. Smaller run off areas, odd camber, bumpy sections etc. Let the drivers race, less intervention from the stewards.

Associate
The fourth anniversary of Jules Bianchi's death was just a few days after your post. Partly for that reason and the failure of proper controls to be enforced that contributed to his accident and ultimate death, I disagree with you.
Can't believe 4 years has already gone by. Very unfortunate incident.

Back
Top Bottom