alienware AW3418DW Availability in the UK?

Soldato
Been after a 34" UW to replace an aged crossover 27P-LED with a failing panel for a while now, Had my eye on the LG 34GK950F but it's pretty much out of stock everywhere and has risen in price a lot lately.

After HungryHippos posted the deal from Dell i've jumped on this and it should be arriving soon!

Hopefully i win the panel lottery and get no stuck/dead pixels and minimal backlight bleed!

Does anyone know how Dell are at swapping units if they have dead/stuck pixels or huge bleed?

Glad you got to take advantage of my post, sadly I have one already :D

Good price that, and even better if you could add the Amex/Cashback offers.

Soldato
Been after a 34" UW to replace an aged crossover 27P-LED with a failing panel for a while now, Had my eye on the LG 34GK950F but it's pretty much out of stock everywhere and has risen in price a lot lately.

After HungryHippos posted the deal from Dell i've jumped on this and it should be arriving soon!

Hopefully i win the panel lottery and get no stuck/dead pixels and minimal backlight bleed!

Does anyone know how Dell are at swapping units if they have dead/stuck pixels or huge bleed?

I'm dealing with them now for mine.

I have BLB in the left corner and small ammount in the right. Sadly I do sit quite close to the montior. if I sit about 10-15cm away it is quite minimal. Regardless, I asked for a replacement.
They're due to arrange a date to deliver with me via email today or tommorow. Whats nice is unlike Amazon, they haven't asked me to send the old one back yet.

I think the left BLB is just a fact of life though. Soooooooooooo many posts I've seen with the similar backlight bleed distribution but meh, all we can do is try.

I used AMEX so I can't do a return so will have to pick between which ever one of them they send.

The advantage with 21:9 is even if there is bleed in the corner, you're not going to see it much haha.

Caporegime
I'm dealing with them now for mine.

I have BLB in the left corner and small ammount in the right. Sadly I do sit quite close to the montior. if I sit about 10-15cm away it is quite minimal. Regardless, I asked for a replacement.
They're due to arrange a date to deliver with me via email today or tommorow. Whats nice is unlike Amazon, they haven't asked me to send the old one back yet.

I think the left BLB is just a fact of life though. Soooooooooooo many posts I've seen with the similar backlight bleed distribution but meh, all we can do is try.

I used AMEX so I can't do a return so will have to pick between which ever one of them they send.

The advantage with 21:9 is even if there is bleed in the corner, you're not going to see it much haha.

Mine has BLB in the bottom left but it's not terrible and hardly noticeable even on a black screen. I put up with it because of the price I paid and it wasn't from Amazon or Dell direct so a replacement wouldn't have been possible.

Soldato
Mine has BLB in the bottom left but it's not terrible and hardly noticeable even on a black screen. I put up with it because of the price I paid and it wasn't from Amazon or Dell direct so a replacement wouldn't have been possible.

care to show any photos if possible please boss?

ya i think the left blb is just life. i think tolerance to it is variable but im sure some are better than others.

Soldato
FYI at this current price discount, I struggle to see a better value ultrawide for the next 2 years.

This is coming from someone who initially wanted to get the x34a years ago but waited for a price drop.. which never really came.

Associate
I've had 3 of these screens and they all had BLB in the corners, with the bottom left being the most noticeable... so i don't think a return is going to achieve anything.

Soldato
I've had 3 of these screens and they all had BLB in the corners, with the bottom left being the most noticeable... so i don't think a return is going to achieve anything.

yup got my replacement in.

same stuff.

return didnt achieve anything.

i think ppl with these mythical perfect screens are taking pics from favourable distances/angles..

on the phone i was able to take a photo from a tidy little 10 degrees off which made it look like the whole backlight was blown lol.

Soldato
You are seriously wasting your time because they all have it! Just get one you are relatively happy with, or you will be returning them for eternity!

Soldato
You are seriously wasting your time because they all have it! Just get one you are relatively happy with, or you will be returning them for eternity!

wasted my time. compared 2 panels which had very identical BLB for 1 hour straight.

OCD level now reached at maximum.

Thank you, wish i took ur advise earlier..

Associate
Out of my 3 screens, number 2 was the best (it still had bleed though in left and right corners, so when i say it was the best i mean it was like 15% better than the others, so not by much) but annoyingly i had to return it as it had a couple of scratch marks on the screen which must have occured during packaging etc. So i think in summary if you find one with a normal amount of bleed (every screen has some bleed) and no other issues, then keep it.

On a final point - I agree that judging the seemingly "perfect" photos on here and comparing them to your own is pointless as i can take several different photos of my screen and make it look almost perfect or horrendous depending on numerous conditions and camera angles.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom