To remap, or not to remap...

Soldato
OP
I have been talking to work and I need to ensure that modifying my car and using for business, when I am likely to have clients in my car from time to time, is going to be ok. They are checking as they are unsure themselves right now. Could put a stop to me doing it.

Soldato
OP
Work have given the OK as long as any mods I do are not offensive to customers and my insurance is valid. Next task is to find out if my insurance company are willing to play ball.

Soldato
How does one approach the subject? Go to 'I have heard it gives better MPG' route, or, 'I have increased my power by XYZ' please charge me?

"I'm looking at getting my car remapped. The company I have contacted me have estimated to give me X more BHP, I would like a quote on adding this modification to my vehicle before I have it carried out."

Soldato
OP
"I'm looking at getting my car remapped. The company I have contacted me have estimated to give me X more BHP, I would like a quote on adding this modification to my vehicle before I have it carried out."

Sounds obvious...just didn't know if there were any trigger words that would flag stupid quotations needlessly.

I wouldn't have told them, its extremely unlikely anyone would find out.

Not worth the risk. Wouldn't want to put my family or myself at risk of anything happened and my insurance was found to be invalid.

Soldato
Just had my TTS remapped from 262 bhp 250ft lb to 354 bhp and 379ft lb.
People often use the words 'totally transforms the car' but I disagree... The driving characteristics are identical, it's just faster... And easier to drive fast.
Also, on the run back from the tuners I got the exact same 32mpg I got on the way there!

Soldato
People often use the words 'totally transforms the car' but I disagree... The driving characteristics are identical, it's just faster... And easier to drive fast.
Also, on the run back from the tuners I got the exact same 32mpg I got on the way there!
Got a Dyno print to show your gains?

I find them incredibly hard to believe

Associate
I’m not sure, but I know of a tuned A3 and crap that throws out is boarder line offensive. I’d imagine that will build up in the filter quickly.

It’s just something I’d look into before hand.

Usually just a different fuel regulator fitted that gives marginal gains due to higher fuel being pumped in but huge amounts of soot. Had the X6 40D remapped and there was no extra smoke at all.

Associate

Was that R-Tech?

Associate
is that the VAG AE888 engine? it seems to be a beast with a remap (or, more like, conservatively reduced for different car specs).
The mk3 Octavia VRS, whether it's the 220, 230 or 245bhp models all seem to remap to about 310bhp, which is a massive gain (at the expense of the stock clutch not lasting long).

Soldato
Gains can be had easily. On turbo cars especially diesels

X5 35d mapped last year at ecotune 286 standard ended up at 375bhp

Interestingly enough the. Current Mk5 mondeo and kugas can be changed from 150 to 180 with forscan and a change of one digit

Ecu contains both maps

Soldato
Was that R-Tech?

It was indeed. Had them walnut blast the intake, service the injectors and remap it.

is that the VAG AE888 engine? it seems to be a beast with a remap (or, more like, conservatively reduced for different car specs).
The mk3 Octavia VRS, whether it's the 220, 230 or 245bhp models all seem to remap to about 310bhp, which is a massive gain (at the expense of the stock clutch not lasting long).

No it's the predecessor, EA113.

Soldato

Yea I agree, although not even remotely in the same league, I did get my Volvo done in the end from 150 to 180 bhp and I can hardly tell.any difference on the road.

Soldato
I've recently had an mx5 remap which went from 158hp to 180hp and although the numbers aren't huge it has really woken up the engine.

It's not just about top end power, torque is up across the range, all gears are unlocked to 100% throttle, fuelling has been tweaked to use less fuel at idle but provide more when it's needed, flat foot shifting, rev matching, 4 switchable maps (tuned map, race rom, standard unleaded and valet) and the engine runs beautifully with not so much as a pop or bang.

£574 well spent.
Was this with a new manifold out of interest? I have a 2.0 NC and have considered it in the past but it's always needed a manifold to make the power.

Associate
Was this with a new manifold out of interest? I have a 2.0 NC and have considered it in the past but it's always needed a manifold to make the power.
I can't remember getting that much of a gain from my NC2 without a manifold (Racing Beat seems to ring a bell) - have to be aware it's technically a MOT fail tho, as you're removing your pre-cat (part of the reason for the decent gain). But, as it's hidden under a tray, it shouldn't be easy to spot and thus low risk (just have to be aware that it is a risk tho).

Back
Top Bottom