To remap, or not to remap...

Soldato
Wow ok... I'll get it uploaded,

That's at the lower end too as I have a sports cat and stock back box.
380/400 isn't uncommon.
Don't get me wrong. Happy to be proven otherwise, but that is a very large gain and I can't believe it unless I see proof.

If it's true, then amazing, happy days, wish I had that engine.

For comparison my MPS can only gain 30hp from a basic map. And even that shouldn't be done without an updated HPFP as the stock pump is already at its limit stock heh
Then it's downpipes, intakes, intercoolers, turbos, exhausts to get more.

Soldato
Don't get me wrong. Happy to be proven otherwise, but that is a very large gain and I can't believe it unless I see proof.

For comparison my MPS can only gain 30hp from a basic map. And even that shouldn't be done without an updated HPFP as the stock pump is already at its limit stock heh

It’s the normal gain you can run them up to 380bhp on the stock turbo. VAG engines are generally running a conservative power output from the factory so respond well to a remap.

The newer version of the engine goes from 300-310bhp to 360-370bhp with just a remap and no other mods can push to 400bhp with some bolt ons.

The MPS sounds nearly maxed out from the factory.

Last edited:
Soldato

Can't find the paperwork so this will have to do.

5qCya0p.jpg

Man of Honour

I wouldn't call it amazing.

Plenty of cars see similar power gains from a tune

Lower powered (305hp) N55 BMW typically make 75-80hp with a tune - less on an M2 due to higher factory rating HPFP limit
S55 BMWs upto 80-120hp, higher figure comes from the M2 Comp with less from the factory
Early GTR typically 60hp or so

Associate
Lots of reasons why you see differing power outputs on cars with a remap.
Obvious one is NA cars only see small gains because there is no easy "boost" to turn up - i only got 15HP from my 5s remap but it gave me 600 more rpm and that made a very big difference.
I could get 20Hp from the 200sx free boost upgrade on my old s14 - that was simply 2psi on a removal of a brass bleed restrictor. Proper maps on that took it from 200 to 300hp but needed other items to really make it safe.

Soldato
Ah nice one. Stage two map?

Looks good, jelly :D

They call it a 2+ with the HPFP internals.
Crazy just how much it was overboosting before mapping.
As above, stock figures are around 262/250.

I wouldn't call it amazing.

Plenty of cars see similar power gains from a tune

Lower powered (305hp) N55 BMW typically make 75-80hp with a tune - less on an M2 due to higher factory rating HPFP limit
S55 BMWs upto 80-120hp, higher figure comes from the M2 Comp with less from the factory
Early GTR typically 60hp or so

I think Diagro has a point, it's gained as near as damn it 100 bhp and 130ft.lb. around 50% gains!

Fair more than any of the engines you've quoted.

Soldato
Was this with a new manifold out of interest? I have a 2.0 NC and have considered it in the past but it's always needed a manifold to make the power.

Yes I'd already replaced the standard maniverter with an il motorsport 4-1 manifold in preparation for the remap.

A couple of other incidental things:

Firstly I was sure the new manifold had already unlocked a couple of horses before the remap because the car definitely seemed quicker, however she measured 158bhp up on the dyno which is stock power. The remap guy said it would have felt quicker because the new manifold simply improved throttle response.

Secondly had I fitted a performance air filter, even just a panel filter rather than an induction kit, the remap guy said he could have given me more power. I'd always thought the oem nc intake was very good anyway but apparently gains can be made by upgrading the filter in conjunction with the exhaust.

Hope this helps

Caporegime
Soldato
Tuning and value is a wierd one. Adding a turbo will put most people off, but they will queue up for a V8 swap on some cars.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I’ve been considering a remap at some point, probably when my warranty expires next year.

VagTech are a 2 min drive from me and use Revo. Their stage one claims to take my A4 from 252 to as high as 316. I am just a little worried about the DSG dying because those aren’t cheap.

The engine is more than up for it being the EA888.

https://www.onlyrevo.com/product-details/software/audi/a4-b9-2015-/260/stage-1

Soldato
OP
Does anyone have any recommendations for Mercedes tuners? I have been googling about but just coming up with all my local ones and the bigger names. Really unsure what is good and bad.

Soldato
It’s the normal gain you can run them up to 380bhp on the stock turbo. VAG engines are generally running a conservative power output from the factory so respond well to a remap.

The newer version of the engine goes from 300-310bhp to 360-370bhp with just a remap and no other mods can push to 400bhp with some bolt ons.

The MPS sounds nearly maxed out from the factory.

No surprise that VAG get a lot of engine failures :/

In a survey a few years back it was less than 1 in 30 for Audi, compared to about 1 in 350 for Honda.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ve been considering a remap at some point, probably when my warranty expires next year.

VagTech are a 2 min drive from me and use Revo. Their stage one claims to take my A4 from 252 to as high as 316. I am just a little worried about the DSG dying because those aren’t cheap.

The engine is more than up for it being the EA888.

https://www.onlyrevo.com/product-details/software/audi/a4-b9-2015-/260/stage-1
As a 252, it'll be using the wet 6 or wet 7 box, which are generally considered more capable of handling remaps than the manuals, especially so if you get the box remapped too, increasing clamping pressures, reducing slip etc.

Associate
Does anyone have any recommendations for Mercedes tuners? I have been googling about but just coming up with all my local ones and the bigger names. Really unsure what is good and bad.

I'm looking at getting the Vito remapped so I'd be interested if you find anywhere.

I've seen DP Auto Services in Sharnford that seem to remap a lot of different vehicles including vans/commercial but they're lack of dyno concerns me a little.

Soldato
OP
I'm looking at getting the Vito remapped so I'd be interested if you find anywhere.

I've seen DP Auto Services in Sharnford that seem to remap a lot of different vehicles including vans/commercial but they're lack of dyno concerns me a little.

Yea I want someone with a Dyno to test the map after and look at anything that might be wrong post map.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
As a 252, it'll be using the wet 6 or wet 7 box, which are generally considered more capable of handling remaps than the manuals, especially so if you get the box remapped too, increasing clamping pressures, reducing slip etc.

Good to know. They did mention updating the clamping pressure.

Back
Top Bottom