Poll: German Grand Prix 2019, Hockenheim - Race 11/21

Rate the 2019 German Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
Wait, the new classification has Hamilton finishing 9th. Lol. Crazy race still delivering :D. So he actually extends his lead! It also preserves his now 23 point scoring record race streak.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/points-for-hamilton-and-kubica-alfas-demoted/

Apologies if already posted.

Saw this posted online, can’t help but agree:

Hamilton’s penalty was rubbish; penalized for bringing a damaged car back to the pits instead of driving a whole lap potentially endangering other drivers. The “millisecond” Alfa penalties are equally pathetic. The sports needs more racing and less interference.

Last edited:
Soldato
How fickle so many of you voted, getting all excited by good luck, bad luck and chaos in the changing weather conditions... Yet when Bernie suggested random sprinklers it was poo-pooed.

Shows how dull a typical dry F1 race has become in the modern rule change eras of the last ~10 years.
It diddnt rain in Silverstone yet was probably the best dry race in the last 6 years

Associate
Surprised at votes for this one, it was mixed up a lot due to changing weather but there wasn’t much racing.

I agree, it wasn't a good race, just lots of incidents, excitement, mishaps, mistakes etc.
At least it was better than the races that have been bore fests we've had this year, so will take it over them.

I know Grosjean is a liability and I don't rate him but Magnussen didn't even attempt to reach the apex when going into the hairpin.
Maybe Rosberg had given him some lessons. (He admitted he ran Verstappen off the track because he'd annoyed him)

Soldato
To be fair Hamilton also saved himself a ton of time driving around a damp track without a nose that would take a very long time to get to the pits... Compared to that, what he did, even with the 5s penalty, was the best option.

Associate
thoroughly enjoyable, not enjoyed an F1 race like that for a long time (well, at least 2 weeks). watched the whole race on Sky then watched the infinitely better presentation on Channel 4 for the highlights.

Associate
So Hamilton crashed, had a 50 second pit-stop, a five second penalty, spun off again to finish out of the top 10 and still ends up increasing his championship lead maybe he really is #blessed

Caporegime
Gutted
Can't believe the hulk binned it. Probably a podium place lost.

Drivers who may have lost their drives
Bottas
Hulkenburg
Gasly (about time)

Big race good and bad for many drivers

Soldato
To be fair Hamilton also saved himself a ton of time driving around a damp track without a nose that would take a very long time to get to the pits... Compared to that, what he did, even with the 5s penalty, was the best option.

Indeed. Hamilton made the better choice, risking 5 second penalty and the mess in the box sorting it out. It would definitely have been better than going around slow with half a nose, which could have caused more damaged if the rest came off and also the risk of crashing.

Soldato
I don’t have a problem with the penalty for Hamilton. The rule is there for a reason, and will penalise a driver for making a later than normal decision to pit. He was still better off after the penalty as taken into account, even with the pit box fiasco.

The one I really have a problem with was the fine for Ferrari following the unsafe release of Leclerc. As annoying and irritating that I find David Croft, he was spot on. It sends a message to teams that there’s no race penalty for an unsafe release, and therefore it is just another cost of racing. That’s very, very wrong.

Transmission breaker
Don
The one I really have a problem with was the fine for Ferrari following the unsafe release of Leclerc. As annoying and irritating that I find David Croft, he was spot on. It sends a message to teams that there’s no race penalty for an unsafe release, and therefore it is just another cost of racing. That’s very, very wrong.

Agreed. but then I would be interested to see what data they get when working out unsafe releases. I did however get the feeling that was a "don't hurt the show" lip-service penalty.

Soldato

Indeed. Though it's not the driver's mistake or fault, so seems almost unfair to give the driver a penalty. Especially given the circumstances of the pit at the time. But I don't see any other way, so would just suck for the driver.

Soldato
Gutted
Can't believe the hulk binned it. Probably a podium place lost.

Drivers who may have lost their drives
Bottas
Hulkenburg
Gasly (about time)

Big race good and bad for many drivers

I suspect both the current Haas drivers could be sitting at home next years. Hulkenburg would be a good fit into Haas. Cool-headed and reliable. Potential podium finisher with a decent car under him. Stick Ocon in the other Haas for a year to keep him sharp. Win for all concerned.

I think Bottas will keep his seat for 2020. Good wingman for Hamilton and very consistent point scoring driver.

Soldato
Indeed. Though it's not the driver's mistake or fault, so seems almost unfair to give the driver a penalty. Especially given the circumstances of the pit at the time. But I don't see any other way, so would just suck for the driver.

The driver is part of the team, so they win, lose and get the penalties together. The driver is still driving the car, and a drive through for unsafe release is to punish the whole team.

Permabanned
The driver is part of the team, so they win, lose and get the penalties together. The driver is still driving the car, and a drive through for unsafe release is to punish the whole team.

The team fine was a very good decision by the stewards. All the responsibility must be taken by the managers for their bad decisions. They must learn not to ruin their driver's races.
They must pay, the innocent driver must be let compete on equal basis.

Caporegime
I don’t have a problem with the penalty for Hamilton. The rule is there for a reason, and will penalise a driver for making a later than normal decision to pit. He was still better off after the penalty as taken into account, even with the pit box fiasco.

I think common sense should prevail in these circumstances. He was recovering from an incident.

I really have a problem with was the fine for Ferrari following the unsafe release of Leclerc. As annoying and irritating that I find David Croft, he was spot on. It sends a message to teams that there’s no race penalty for an unsafe release, and therefore it is just another cost of racing. That’s very, very wrong.

Totally agree. Weekend after weekend we see dangerous incidents in the pit go unpunished or without real punishment. One day there will be a big accident in the pits.

Man of Honour
The team fine was a very good decision by the stewards. All the responsibility must be taken by the managers for their bad decisions. They must learn not to ruin their driver's races.
They must pay, the innocent driver must be let compete on equal basis.

Yes, a 5000 euro fine is going to send a fantastic message to ferrari and every other team. A time penalty or drive through on the other hand...

It is crazy if you think about it. They are ultra cautious with the safety car, yet dozens of mechanics and a long line of cars darting in and out of the pits, nope. One of these days it is going to go very very wrong.

Based on the current precedent though, I’d send my driver out, gain the place and take the penalty.

Back
Top Bottom