RC cars

Soldato
I have a couple of Traxxas Stampede trucks. Both upgraded to the hilt. One a 3S 4x4, full X-Duty driveshafts, upgraded shocks, upgraded diffs, upgraded motor and ECU, even the motor mount is upgraded. Actually there's not a single thing i could do to make it more durable !! and the other a 2S 2WD with also a ton of upgrades. The sad thing is neither of my boys (12 and 13) are interested. When i get them out on the cars they act bored so they can get back to their gaming pc's. Damn millennials. I'd of given a left nut as a kid to be given a toy like that. I still have some solo fun mind, just as much on the wrenching as the bashing. But it would be nice to have one of my kids also be in to it, so we could do some great races & bashing.

June15_029.jpg

Associate
I had a stampede 4x4 for a while and upgraded a bunch of stuff but I just couldnt get it to drive like I wanted, it never seemed to be very stable, liked to grip roll a lot and seemed twitchy on tarmac. I tried 4s in it but it just wheelied all the time, couldn't keep the front end down, and this was running with the center diff, when I put thinner oil in it it just balooned the fronts. I gave up in the end and tried the Proline MT 4x4 and I was surprised how good it is, totally standard out the box it just drives like a buggy, its a bit heavier and that really helps keep it planted. Im running on 4s with 1/8th motor and its just a pleasure to drive.

04.JPG

02.JPG

this isnt the shell I use when im bashing it, took me ages to paint it!

05.JPG

08.JPG

Soldato
I had a stampede 4x4 for a while and upgraded a bunch of stuff but I just couldnt get it to drive like I wanted, it never seemed to be very stable, liked to grip roll a lot and seemed twitchy on tarmac. I tried 4s in it but it just wheelied all the time, couldn't keep the front end down, and this was running with the center diff, when I put thinner oil in it it just balooned the fronts. I gave up in the end and tried the Proline MT 4x4 and I was surprised how good it is, totally standard out the box it just drives like a buggy, its a bit heavier and that really helps keep it planted. Im running on 4s with 1/8th motor and its just a pleasure to drive.

this isnt the shell I use when im bashing it, took me ages to paint it!

Gotta say the Proline MT 4x4 does look badass ! I have pro-line trenchers all round on my pedes. They seem to have knocked it out the ballpark with the MT. I wouldn't mind getting one myself.. I need to find out what the parts availability are like, and how much given they're new at this.. The good thing about Traxxas is i can get any part anytime from up the road at the local hobby shop, and if not every part is available online and some !

Man of Honour
That Proline MT looks ace.

Currently printing parts for the openrc F1. Motor and ESC just arrived from hobbyking.

I recently converted my old t-maxx to electric and it's much more appealing to me than the nitro. next conversion is a mint old Associated RC10GT i have.

Soldato
I have an hpi e savage converted to brushless. Tying to find some metal drive shafts, but it's proving difficult! The plastic ones are breaking too fast!

Also have a wltoys 12428 that I've out a 3650 brushless in on 3s, that's a bit of a laugh!

Then for indoor play I have the wltoys 989 which I've converted to a drift car.

Soldato
I have an hpi e savage converted to brushless. Tying to find some metal drive shafts, but it's proving difficult! The plastic ones are breaking too fast!

Also have a wltoys 12428 that I've out a 3650 brushless in on 3s, that's a bit of a laugh!

Then for indoor play I have the wltoys 989 which I've converted to a drift car.

This would be my biggest concern. Getting parts. I mean half the time when running 3S, something breaks. Even using red loctite on everything, and making a P4DE as bullet proof as possible.. Last run i had a damn screw came out, and lost my part of my MIP drive shaft.. I had to spend $65 to get a new kit.. That annoyed me.. Spent half an hour trying to find the old one, but eventually gave up. Normally its only a few bucks, and s.happens, but when you have to dip into your pockets for $60 - $70 its annoying !

Soldato
Yeah, the parts thing is annoying, I bought a whole spare broken one off ebay for 65quid. That will keep me going for a while. Only problem with old cars.

Had the 12428 running again today, esc had to be replaced as I did a massive jump and set it on fire due to a bad landing, oops. It's flying now, easily doing 45mph+ but my phone GPS isn't logging it fast enough, before I have to brake.
Not bad for £60 + the upgrades. Approx £100 total using my already owned Tx.

Caporegime
Anyone remember those tiny little RC cars from about 12 years ago, came in a little suitcase, they were from one of the big suppliers, very popular. On road only, iirc. Loads of hop ups too. Can't for the life of me remember the name.

Associate
Anyone remember those tiny little RC cars from about 12 years ago, came in a little suitcase, they were from one of the big suppliers, very popular. On road only, iirc. Loads of hop ups too. Can't for the life of me remember the name.

Xmods! Me and my Dad had 2, mine was a Supra and Dad's was a R34.

Soldato
Bought a kyosho inferno to have a play with.

Seem to be having issues when doing hard left or right turns, the car can flip the roll quite easily.. is this normal? One of the wheels is usually airborne when turning hard.

I presumed adding more preload (compressing the springs with the adjusters) would help but it doesn’t seem make much difference? There’s quite a few different positions for the suspension but I’ve no idea what would help!

Also, the rebound of the suspension is really slow, is this normal?

Soldato
Bought a kyosho inferno to have a play with.

Seem to be having issues when doing hard left or right turns, the car can flip the roll quite easily.. is this normal? One of the wheels is usually airborne when turning hard.

I presumed adding more preload (compressing the springs with the adjusters) would help but it doesn’t seem make much difference? There’s quite a few different positions for the suspension but I’ve no idea what would help!

Also, the rebound of the suspension is really slow, is this normal?
You could try stiffer springs, then you don't need to alter ride height in a way that will compromise handling

Increase rebound speed with thinner shock oil.

Edit: Inferno might have adjustable shock pistons which might help with speed of compression and rebound - can help make cars feel less skittish and bouncy

Soldato
Bought a traxxas e revo recently on 6s second hand. Only thing is, where I use it, its a bit big. Might have to sell and downgrade
It's crazy though, damn fast!

Soldato
Folks, when it comes to RC stuff I'm a drone flyer (DJI Mavic currently) but our little lad has had a Nikko Trax Velociraptor for a few months which he loved playing with. It took a bit of a back seat after the last time he used it and hasn't been switched on for a couple of months although prior to that the last time it was used it worked perfectly.

Went to charge up the battery and try it again earlier this week and its not showing any signs of life at all. Got a brand new lipo, charged up and still the same. Changed the AAA cells in the controller, still nothing.

Any ideas? I'd open it up and have a look inside but I have no idea what I would be looking for, other than something obvious like a loose wire.

Soldato
I have an Eclipse pan car 1/12 that I wouldn't mind someone recommending some internals for.

I guess I need a servo, motor, receiver and ECU. Don't want to get ripped off by asking what to get in a shop.

Man of Honour
Anyone have any interest in Mini Z or equivalent? I've just ordered an RCP mini Z track to race at home with the kids. It's my son's birthday so he has a new Mini Z RW Mclaren in bound while his sis and I have some hobbyking Mini Qs.

Hoping we may have a bit of fun with them rather than just bashing the 1/10th stuff

Back
Top Bottom