To remap, or not to remap...

Soldato
I'm looking at getting the Vito remapped so I'd be interested if you find anywhere.

I've seen DP Auto Services in Sharnford that seem to remap a lot of different vehicles including vans/commercial but they're lack of dyno concerns me a little.

Without a dyno to do test runs they'll simply be loading a file of an existing map. Granted they may also do a bit of road testing but that would get nowhere near the accuracy of a dyno run before and after changing each parameter.

Associate
Without a dyno to do test runs they'll simply be loading a file of an existing map. Granted they may also do a bit of road testing but that would get nowhere near the accuracy of a dyno run before and after changing each parameter.

I thought that would be the case.
The vans use the same engine and turbo but come with different power outputs for different models.
I assume they just load a standard higher output map with minimal road testing.

Man of Honour
I thought that would be the case.
The vans use the same engine and turbo but come with different power outputs for different models.
I assume they just load a standard higher output map with minimal road testing.

The large majority of these companies will be using "tune files" developed by a larger company and simply act as a reseller.

They're generally extensively tested. We start a project along these lines next week. One car, one engine, no hardware changes and it'll be around 40 hours of development

Associate
The large majority of these companies will be using "tune files" developed by a larger company and simply act as a reseller.

They're generally extensively tested. We start a project along these lines next week. One car, one engine, no hardware changes and it'll be around 40 hours of development

So not all that bad then?

I'm not after a full custom map as I know how much work goes into those and it's not really needed. It'd be nice to see before and after comparisons though.

Soldato
OP
Have been thinking about this lately and I am really torn to what to do. On one hand I need my car to be reliable for work, but on the other hand that is always going to be my argument for any modifications - and you only live once etc.

I still have time to think on it as I need to get my MOT done and new tires before Christmas too...but unsure right now on if I will go ahead with this.

Soldato
What I know from modding a car - when you start mapping them/modding them, they break, more often then not or have nitty little problems which are annoying to diagnose.

Its generally on older cars. Hoses failings, seals failing etc just niggly bits.

But this is pretty much the definition of why older cars loose value so quickly, they get minor irritating things go wrong, seals, hoses etc are exactly the things that go brittle with age and general wear and need replacing. At this point for many people they are unreliable and hence not worth as much.

Most of the extra stresses will be seen by the internals, bearings, piston rings etc, a bit will pass to the cooling system, a bit to the clutch/gearbox. So increase the stress on an already ageing system you should expect that you will bring forwards the failing components in those areas.

Soldato
But this is pretty much the definition of why older cars loose value so quickly, they get minor irritating things go wrong, seals, hoses etc are exactly the things that go brittle with age and general wear and need replacing. At this point for many people they are unreliable and hence not worth as much.

Most of the extra stresses will be seen by the internals, bearings, piston rings etc, a bit will pass to the cooling system, a bit to the clutch/gearbox. So increase the stress on an already ageing system you should expect that you will bring forwards the failing components in those areas.

Bingo.

I don't mind, it's annoying don't get me wrong but the last 4 cars I had I have all mapped some to over a 100bhp over stock. But with every car (due them being old), I found that I had to replace seals/pipes just for reliabilities sake. If you can bare that sort of thing is fine but I find most people can't.

If you're on the Facebook pages for cars you see it all the time.

Associate
See this is the problem, my car is still under 3 years old (just) and so all perishables should still be just fine which makes me think I should do it.
As long as you stick with a reputable tuner you should be fine. My last car was mapped with just a Superchips Bluefin device and i drove about 50k miles and no issues (25k a year), And my car before that had a complete custom map and again was fine for 3 years, no issues. My current car which has just turned 1 will be getting remapped soon as well :D

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I'm definitely considering a Revo map, they have done pretty extensive testing and development with their development car.

Some decent gains to be had on my A4. Revo did post a controversial video showing their stage 1 producing 333Bhp and beating an S4. Not sure what they did to make that happen since the numbers don't support it but hey, shows that the A4 can be pretty nippy either way.

I'm definitely considering a Revo map, they have done pretty extensive testing and development with their development car.

Some decent gains to be had on my A4. Revo did post a controversial video showing their stage 1 producing 333Bhp and beating an S4. Not sure what they did to make that happen since the numbers don't support it but hey, shows that the A4 can be pretty nippy either way.

Makes sense, minor other tweaks, but the 2.0TFsi is used in things like the TTS and pumping out that sort of HP
Gearing could make a difference as well?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Makes sense, minor other tweaks, but the 2.0TFsi is used in things like the TTS and pumping out that sort of HP
Gearing could make a difference as well?

Problem I have is reading around on the internet people are saying the B9 has a DSG model DL382-7Q that cannot handle over 400nm torque. This was apparently the main reason why the S4 moved to the ZF8 because the DSG wasn't rated for it. And the maps are exceeding this amount.

I find it hard to believe, simply because the 2.0 TFSI produces 370nm, and there's no way they would have such small tolerance of 30nm. I have asked my brother to look into it, being a master tech in VAG HQ he can see what technical data is available internally.

Associate
I sold an XKR in April and bought a new 530e in a rather knee jerk reaction to how many stone chips it had and getting 9mpg one day on the way back from work, oh and a speed camera scare.

I love washing a new car so much and crawling in traffic no longer feels so polluting but it really could do with a remap to 320bhp. (I’ve seen 340 suggested)

I just can’t bring myself to do it as I’m in two minds how long I will keep it...

Back
Top Bottom