What watch do you wear?

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Ta for suggestions, moon watch is now close second to the bond aqua terra, few months to think about it anyway! Need to visit a store and try a few for size now.
Really depends on what style you want?
The Speedmaster is far more of a ‘sporty’ watch in my mind than the Aqua Terra.
For me it would have to be the Aqua Terra with the co-axial movements

On a separate point, why is the Speedmaster seen as so special?
Is it the moon connection that people like?
I don’t dislike them, but it wouldn’t be at the top of my list.
Just curious, not wanting to start anything :p

Associate
I like the moon connection, the idea is to hand it down to my daughter one day so to have such a nice connection to such a historical event is one of the appealing factors. I like the design although if there’s a bezel I prefer ceramic, I’m not keen on the painted bezel of the Speedmaster.

Much prefer the design of certain variations of the aqua terra.

Not too keep on the Seamaster, although some of the planet oceans are nice.

Associate
I've owned a seamaster, and came very close to buying a speedy and that 007 seamaster in the past year, ended up with a zenith el primero instead (a few pages back)

There is quite a large variation in calibres on speedmaster, some even have plastic parts, but they are cheap to fix. Personally I prefer the more the more unusual manufacturers, no omegas on my current wish list

Soldato
Personally I prefer the more unusual manufacturers, no omegas on my current wish list
Indeed - outside of the obvious Omega Seamaster, Speedmaster choices there are some great watches from unusual brands.

This was recently featured in the Watchfinder Youtube channel

Eterna Royal KonTiki Chronograph : £2.5k

48483127472_3bc65aab1d_b.jpg

Jump to 6:44

Last edited:
Associate
I like the moon connection, the idea is to hand it down to my daughter one day so to have such a nice connection to such a historical event is one of the appealing factors. I like the design although if there’s a bezel I prefer ceramic, I’m not keen on the painted bezel of the Speedmaster.

If you like the aqua terra then you could consider a 2019 Datejust (new model from Basel, with latest movement, updated dial etc). RRP £5300, duty free price £4400. Would hold its value better than the others. This price is for oyster band spec with flat bezel, best for all round.

I'm biased however, picked one up last month, here is a wrist shot.

And another. It’s 36mm but wears slightly larger. My wrists are fairly twig like at 6.75”

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for suggestion, looks real nice although I’m not keen on Rolex watches, plus not too worried about value loss as I doubt I’d ever sell whatever watch I buy. Cheers though!

Caporegime

Seamasters and Speedmasters are thick watches and not really suitable for women's wrists. When your daughter inherits the watch, the special connection and memory should be YOU, not some special edition watch linked to an event that Omega have been shamelessly milking for years. Get something slim and elegant that will retain value that she can also wear, like a Rolex 34 or 36mm. In the end of you're intending on handing down a watch decades in the future then a classic Rolex has much better long term value than an Omega. :)

Associate
True and good points although I’m not keen on Rolex watches, Speedmaster is off the list now anyway as I don’t want a manual wind watch, I know they do the reduced automatic so may look at that.

Still like the bond aqua terra very much if I can get a mint one for little over 4k which seems realistic, and been looking at the grand seiko heritage GMT although it’s a quartz, maybe I need to look into this more as I’ve always believed if your spending a large sum of money go for automatic watches...

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/colle...-quartz-gmt-heritage-limited-edition-sbgn009g

Soldato
Associate
I am adding this in here, I don't wear it but I have never held a watch that has made my heart beat so fast. I am sure someone here will appreciate it.

I was in the Panerai store in London on Saturday to look at the current wares. I said I wasn't buying when I came in and they offered to show me some watches for pleasure.

This was in a display case and having seen a pic on a horology website I commented on how beautiful it was, so over he goes, dons his gloves and get's it out of the case and brings it to me to hold.

1xXADh1l.jpg

sorry for the potato shot, the light was not meant for taking photos.

It's the Luminor Tourbilon GMT 47mm. when picking it up, the weight was astonishing. It weighs 18g. Think about that.

Astonishing technical achievement.

All for £127,000 inc tax.

Soldato
Cheers for the info on the Orient.
You've taken some lovely shots of the Sinn in the album - nice work.
Thanks, I've taken pics of most of them but need to re-take some of the Retro Future Camera and Orange Mako:-
A couple of others

Back
Top Bottom