Contact lenses Daily vs Monthly

Associate
Currently using monthly lenses but only using them a couple of times a week so looking to switch over to daily ones. Been told by spec savers I need to go and arrange a appointment due to dailys fitting different? Was just going to order same ones I currently use but in daily

Associate
I'm no optician but I wouldn't bother paying for an appointment just for them to try and sell you something, unless you have some special prescription or eye issue. Monthlys are thicker but that's only because they need to last longer and hold up to daily cleaning.

I just get my dailys from visiondirect online.

Associate
I switch from dailies to monthlies depending on what I am doing, exact same prescription. Don't bother paying well over the odds at specsavers when there's no need. Try feelgood contacts. About a third of the price I was paying on the high street for the exact same products.

Tea Drinker
Don
I switch from dailies to monthlies depending on what I am doing, exact same prescription. Don't bother paying well over the odds at specsavers when there's no need. Try feelgood contacts. About a third of the price I was paying on the high street for the exact same products.

My local independent optician matched feelgoods prices and included the contact lens checks, admittedly I've moved the whole family to them but the are willing to price match.

Soldato
I use feelgoodcontacts as well. Consistently the fastest delivery and cheapest out of all the online companies i've used in the last 15+ years.

@Buddah are you making sure to get 7.5% cashback on your orders by using TCB?

Soldato
I use feel good contacts for my monthlies. I use Biofinity Energys as i sleep in them too nd it's a lot cheaper than Specsavers. However i'm looking at moving over to dailies and i've found most places online are similarly priced for dailies vs Specsavers.

Soldato
Currently using monthly lenses but only using them a couple of times a week so looking to switch over to daily ones. Been told by spec savers I need to go and arrange a appointment due to dailys fitting different? Was just going to order same ones I currently use but in daily

if you have your exact sizes and what not just get em yourself if you can...... I picked up some from someone at work as they were a similar prescription. i dont even know if they were an exact fit but they were fine.

Soldato
I'd recommend the all day all night lenses. You don't take them out over night, keep them in all the time. You are supposed to rest your eyes once a week, I usually rest my eyes once a month. I wear my glasses maybe one day in 30.

Associate
I use monthly contacts that are designed to be left in overnight for 30 days. Absolutely no chance of that - I take them out every night. On the rare occasion I fall asleep with them in, they quickly need refreshing the next day or my eyes are bone dry and it's like looking through cataracts (I suspect). I use the overnight lenses as day time ones because they're more oxygen absorbent apparently, and that helps with my using them 14 hours+ a day rather than going over limit on regular lenses where you're supposed to use them for 10-12 hours or so a day.

I've heard the disposable dailies crumple to pieces after one day's use. Can't say I trust those.

Soldato
I've heard the disposable dailies crumple to pieces after one day's use. Can't say I trust those.
They do last a day though which is what they're designed for :). Used them for years and definitely more comfortable than monthly lenses, no build up of rubbish(protein deposits?), no cleaning needed. In all the years I've used them I've probably only had a couple that have torn as I removed them from the eye.

Soldato

That's simply not the case, not sure where you heard it. I've occasionally fallen asleep with dailies in and gone on to wear them for another day with no issues. One time on holiday my luggage was delayed three days that i'd packed my daily contacts in and I wore the same pair for 4 days (due to travel time) with no problems.

When I empty the bathroom bin once a week they are still there but they do shrivel up as the moisture evaporates, most certainly in a single piece though.

I've worn dailies since I was about 18, i'm now 40.

Soldato
I use monthly contacts that are designed to be left in overnight for 30 days. Absolutely no chance of that - I take them out every night. On the rare occasion I fall asleep with them in, they quickly need refreshing the next day or my eyes are bone dry and it's like looking through cataracts (I suspect). I use the overnight lenses as day time ones because they're more oxygen absorbent apparently, and that helps with my using them 14 hours+ a day rather than going over limit on regular lenses where you're supposed to use them for 10-12 hours or so a day.

I use sleep ins as well. brilliant things.... I too dont let them last 30 days however... having dead skin or detritus trapped behind a lens on your eye for 30 days does not sound great to me...... BUT they are so convenient. i tend to keep mine in for 6 day a week with 1 day to let my eyes rest where i use glasses. had them for probably 6 or 7 years now.

Soldato
I use sleep ins as well. brilliant things.... I too dont let them last 30 days however... having dead skin or detritus trapped behind a lens on your eye for 30 days does not sound great to me...... BUT they are so convenient. i tend to keep mine in for 6 day a week with 1 day to let my eyes rest where i use glasses. had them for probably 6 or 7 years now.

Yeah i've had sleep in ones for around 15 years now. Being able to wake up and "see" is great.

However i've been doing more woodwork recently and getting lots of dust in my eyes causing irritation so want to pick up some dailies just to wear on those days and then i can throw them out without much fuss.

They last ages, so having a box of 30 in a drawer for the odd occasion like that is great. Likewise on holiday where you're more likely to get dirt in your eyes and run risks.

Associate
I use dailies via Specsavers, never sleep in them though.

Pay £22 pound month and receive a box of 90 pairs every three months.

This is for Silicone Hydrogel lenses (supposed to be more breathable).

Includes eye tests, check ups and free glasses from the cheaper range every two years as well.

Seems a fair deal to me - but is there anywhere online cheaper (have had a look at the links above and all seem more expensive).

Man of Honour
I've been using Daysoft www.daysoft.com daily lenses for several years and they are very comfortable to wear all day and very cheap.
Been using these for a few years now as well after switching from monthlies, not great if you for whatever reason end up sleeping in them and need to wear them the next day but for what they're actually designed for i.e worn for 12 hours and binned they're spot on.

Caporegime
You're exactly where I was.

Dailies are freakin awesome compared to monthlies.

You still need yearly/bi-yearly contact lense checkups on top of your sight tests.

No real point to doing Lensmail either; so I just pick up a couple boxes (£35) every few months. Maybe two boxes a year. I play footy once a week and wear glasses the rest of the time.

Dailies are soooooooooo much nicer than monthlies.

Soldato
I've tried contacts a few times through specsavers, I never get past the fit testing, I just can't get them out no matter what I do, whatever technique I use to get them out, I just can't grip them. I end up having raw eyes and the girl has to take them out for me.
My prescription is too "bad" for dailies, I have to have monthlies if I can eventually get them out.
Its very frustrating and embarrassing to fail over and over while the girl is staring at you.

Youtube videos make it look so bloody simple where they can just pinch it and magically sticks to there finger while mine just slides around, no traction whatsoever.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom