**** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Thread ****

Soldato
It was bound to happen power user vs consumer who will give the greatest profit . Personally I can count on one hand how many times I've used the head jack on my phone's in last 10 years ,it's not as if they have removed the function altogether like the removal of the SD card slot on standard N10 . Innovation doesn't always bring the desired results but it is what is and jack is now gone.

Precisely.

I would bet they've paid a LOT of attention to consumer demand and have decided the most value consumer to them is the one that wants this feature set and set of compromises.

Like when everyone said Apple was doomed because X, Y or Z.. everyone wants removable storage, everyone wants a removable battery, people LOVE physical keyboards etc etc.

Well, some people like folk music and some like dressing as unicorns at the weekend... not enough to sustain a shop on every corner catering to them.. Like not enough feel strongly enough about the headphone jack or it would still be here.

Like when Samsung were ripping Apple about the headphone jack they hoped that would be the killer feature for them.. then Apple continued dominating. So they've figured it out and gone the way of taking whatever benefit the removal gives (because lets be clear, they haven't done it out of spite) because there's enough proof that it's really not a big deal to people.. not big enough to influence MASS purchase decisions.

Anyway... Aura glow 10+ for me lol :)

Soldato
Part of the Notes problem is that it comes out towards the end of a Chipsets cycle

Samsung could presumably have used the SD 855+ in the Note 10. The fact that they didn’t speaks volumes about their desire to push boundaries. Samsung are like Apple...too scared to take risks.

Soldato
Samsung could presumably have used the SD 855+ in the Note 10. The fact that they didn’t speaks volumes about their desire to push boundaries. Samsung are like Apple...too scared to take risks.

Man I'm going to sound like a fanboy but I'm totally not.. you do get they MAKE the exynos CPUs right?

Soldato
Part of the Notes problem is that it comes out towards the end of a Chipsets cycle instead of the start so ends up just being a slightly improved S series from 6 months prior with no new shiny feel.
Kind of wish the galaxy and note swapped release dates or new chipsets came out at note release

To be fair, this does bring a new chipset with Exynos so be interesting to see how that performs.

But yeah Note series has in the past been used to push the envelope and technology but since they started releasing Plus versions this kinda turned into a slightly bigger version with a stick.

Note 8 was probably the last one that pushed something new with a dual camera compared to S8 series. Note 9 was great as I'm sure this will be but with price tags getting ever higher, the consumer will question spending so much for incremental improvements.

Personally this is an automatic no go for me with dropped headphone jack but I was hardly going to jump at this owing an S10 series phone already. I'm accepting that the industry is pushing us away from 3.5mm but using it a lot I will probably look at the S10+ 5G some time down the line.

Which is a shame, I enjoyed the stylus on my Note 3 (some time ago now :eek:) and quick play I had on the Note 9, would actually find it useful.

Soldato
They’re not allowed to use the Exynos in every market and the Exynos has been consistently inferior to the SD equivalent.

Yes I know that but if they were able to they would. It's got nothing to do with being scared it's to do with simple economics. It obviously costs more to buy from Qualcomm than themselves.

Soldato
Yes I know that but if they were able to they would. It's got nothing to do with being scared it's to do with simple economics. It obviously costs more to buy from Qualcomm than themselves.

Given that the US Note 10 will have a snapdragon SoC, why not make it an 855+? That’s what I’m asking. Asus have the chip in their ROG 2 already. Samsung don’t push.

EDIT Samsung make the 90hz panel used in the OnePlus 7 Pro. But you won’t actually find Samsung’s best screen in a Samsung product. A Note 10 with a 90hz screen would have been a true flagship. They chose to stick with 60hz. Why?

Soldato
Given that the US Note 10 will have a snapdragon SoC, why not make it an 855+? That’s what I’m asking. Asus have the chip in their ROG 2 already. Samsung don’t push.

EDIT Samsung make the 90hz panel used in the OnePlus 7 Pro. But you won’t actually find Samsung’s best screen in a Samsung product. A Note 10 with a 90hz screen would have been a true flagship. They chose to stick with 60hz. Why?

The screen point is a fair one.. In fairness I suspect Samsung display is to all intents and purposes an entirely separate company to mobile.. like they supply a lot of the memory for iPhones which doesn't seem to make a huge amount of sense on one level.

Either way, I'm not saying they're perfect.. it would be great if they'd managed to get rid of the front camera altogether/better more secure face unlock type thing etc etc.

But these changes almost seem incremental now as we head closer and closer to a single slab of screen.

My point was mostly that removable batteries and whatnot ain't it, or they wouldn't be getting rid of them.

Soldato
most interesgting thread I have seen on this topic
https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/71rjyx/why_exynos_is_not_used_by_samsung_in_the_us/
as it comments a mutual/reciprocal business agreement seems a good explanation. ... qualcom also buying from samsung

I was intrigued by the, coinicdent with release, s10 price reductions , for students/companies, I was not aware of that purchase mechanism,
although even with those prices may still have difficulties beating the phone+data packages
S10e (128GB) - £397.10
S10 (512GB) - £552.10
S10+ Ceramic (1TB) - £755.10

Permabanned
Not sure who this is meant to appeal too.

Most of the phones this year have been boring, ugly or spoiled by holes or notches.

Definitely a year to forget on for mobile hardware, minor incremental improvements at best.

Soldato
To be fair I've always been getting the biggest phones possible, but after the cheap S10e deal I'm really liking the smaller format.

The baby Note is only barely 1cm taller but lack of headphone jack is an automatic no from me and it also feels far too cut down from Plus version for barely any price difference.

Soldato
Buy a tablet for a third of the price.
That's a fair response but having one package that has a massive screen is a commuter's dream. Might be a niche but perfect for me.

To be fair I've always been getting the biggest phones possible, but after the cheap S10e deal I'm really liking the smaller format.

The baby Note is only barely 1cm taller but lack of headphone jack is an automatic no from me and it also feels far too cut down from Plus version for barely any price difference.

Not everyone has but I think there is a lot of people who have moved on to wireless headphones and buds. I'm already there - and the Sony wf-1000xm3 literally just came out too which I imagine would be a great combination.

Also never really found the issue with keeping the usbc adapter connected to your headphone wire by default. Is it really that much extra effort? Plenty people I know seem to manage it with their iPhones.

Soldato
Meh it's just not for me, been through it with two other phones before S10 and wired earphones still just work best in my scenario. Don't really want to derail this thread and accepted that after my S10e I will be forced to "upgrade" my portable audio with whatever new phone I get.

Also it's pretty annoying that they didn't add the depth sensors to the smaller Note, I'm sure they could have "squeezed" that into the chassis which would make it a better phone for those wanting a slightly more compact device with full feature set. Not having SD storage just feels needless from Samsung, I'm sure there will be a dual sim variant which easily could have had hybrid support for SD storage.

Charging the extra £100 for Plus version with bigger and higher resolution screen, bigger battery and 45W charging would have still felt fair but it just forces people who wanted the smaller experience (which I imagine is the point of having two versions?) to go for bigger version.

Soldato
Worth selling my S10+ 512GB Ceramic for the Note 10+ 5G?

That's such a personal thing it's hard to answer. If it's for a spec bump etc then definitely not. If you want 5G then you kind of have to. If you want the S Pen you kind of have to.

If you're expecting to notice any sort of performance difference I would suggest no.

It's the bit that again a lot in the thread are totally missing.. this is not aimed at Note 9/S10 customers. It'll be aimed more at your S6/7/8 and Note 5/6/8 customers.

Back
Top Bottom