The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Soldato
Interesting take, Laphroaig QC is the most medicinal tasting whisky I've had. Totally blew my mind the first time I tried it, just couldn't work out if I enjoyed it or not. I would attribute zero of the TCP/band aid taste to Talisker too, odd.
It must be one of those "is the dress blue or brown" things :p

I followed the instructions of one chap on here who recommended that I take a drop of whisky, put it in the palm of my hands, and rub my hands together, then cover my nose with my hands - I got 100% of the medicinal fragrance from the Talisker single malt (not the 10yo), but pure smoke from the Laphroaig QC

Associate
It must be one of those "is the dress blue or brown" things :p

I followed the instructions of one chap on here who recommended that I take a drop of whisky, put it in the palm of my hands, and rub my hands together, then cover my nose with my hands - I got 100% of the medicinal fragrance from the Talisker single malt (not the 10yo), but pure smoke from the Laphroaig QC
I'm with dl8860, if you had been at a blind tasting and gave those descriptions I'd have said your glasses had definitely been mixed up. Both descriptions fit the opposite one from my perspective.

Soldato
I'm with dl8860, if you had been at a blind tasting and gave those descriptions I'd have said your glasses had definitely been mixed up. Both descriptions fit the opposite one from my perspective.
Not sure what to tell you! Finished a whole bottle of the Talisker, now about 25% through the bottom of the QC!

Associate
Not sure what to tell you! Finished a whole bottle of the Talisker, now about 25% through the bottom of the QC!
Taste is subjective, so it's not like you are wrong, it just so happens to be the reverse of my own experience. That being said it has been a while since I have had a bottle of either, as neither are my favourites of their style, so possibly they have changed in the last couple of years.

Soldato
I got this because it was cheap in M&S
fHEzANp.jpg
Generally lacking in character, seems a bit harsh. Not my kind of thing really, but I'll end up drinking it anyway :D

Soldato
Was going to open a bottle of Old Pulteney 17yo in the cupboard, think I will have to save it for a special occasion, I never realised it had been discontinued, got it late last year for around £45 I think, and it's selling for £90+ at places that still stock it.

I know the price just rockets due to a bottle being discontinued and doesn't mean the whiskey is anything special though.
I will open it at some point but knowing its so expensive now, makes me feel bad for opening it.:D:o

Anyone else have an expensive bottle they just don't want to open?

Last edited:
Associate
Was going to open a bottle of Old Pulteney 17yo in the cupboard, think I will have to save it for a special occasion, I never realised it had been discontinued, got it late last year for around £45 I think, and it's selling for £90+ at places that still stock it.

I know the price just rockets due to a bottle being discontinued and doesn't mean the whiskey is anything special though.
I will open it at some point but knowing its so expensive now, makes me feel bad for opening it.:D:o

Anyone else have an expensive bottle they just don't want to open?
if you paid £45 for it (and that would have been a bargain even before it was discontinued over 2 years ago) just treat it like any other bottle you paid £45 for and open it. There is still loads of it out there in collections, so the price isn't going to go up massively any time soon I don't think.

Remember even when it is opened as long as it is stored at reasonably stable temperatures, and out of direct sunlight, it will be fine to drink for years, so you will still have it available for drinking at a special occassion. Unless you plan on knocking the whole thing back in one sitting obviously!

Soldato
if you paid £45 for it (and that would have been a bargain even before it was discontinued over 2 years ago) just treat it like any other bottle you paid £45 for and open it. There is still loads of it out there in collections, so the price isn't going to go up massively any time soon I don't think.

Remember even when it is opened as long as it is stored at reasonably stable temperatures, and out of direct sunlight, it will be fine to drink for years, so you will still have it available for drinking at a special occassion. Unless you plan on knocking the whole thing back in one sitting obviously!

I was wrong I paid £65, didn't think I spent that much!

Associate
Yeah is indeed.

Might get myself a bottle of Kilchoman Loch Gorm 2019 soon.

Don't. I've got an unopened bottle and though perfectly ok it's over priced and a bit weak. It tried it at the distillery sadly after I'd bought a bottle. The similarly priced STR cask is far better. Last years friends 12yo sherry cask release is exceptional and I'm on the look out for another bottle though.

Soldato
Don't. I've got an unopened bottle and though perfectly ok it's over priced and a bit weak. It tried it at the distillery sadly after I'd bought a bottle. The similarly priced STR cask is far better. Last years friends 12yo sherry cask release is exceptional and I'm on the look out for another bottle though.

Got a bottle already:D.

I may open it at the weekend, someone else on here liked it, and it gets well rated from what I read.

Back
Top Bottom