Need to buy a switch... budget is circa £250

Associate
Hi, it looks like you're making a network...

I need to get a switch for the house, I'm hooking up:

2-3 APs
3x4k security cameras
5x2 ethernet ports (1 pair in each room) will connect web server, NAS, PC

I need POE with minimum 1gb speed and if possible some 10gb, prefer a managed solution also

I've looked online and found a used Dell PowerConnect 5524 24 port gigabit switch with two 10G SFP+ for £130, however I don't know how old these switches are...

Soldato
I've got a Nortel Baystack 5520 48 port POE switch. All ports are gigabit, it was a used switch. It's quite old now but has been rock solid since I got it. I'd go used again.

Caporegime
The 5524 isn’t PoE, but otherwise it’s a decent option. You will most likely have to swap the fans out on a rackmount switch to make the noise levels acceptable for a house.

Associate
OP
Look at Mikrotik.

I seen their new line up but it's out of my budget, even the CRS328-24P-4S+RM which has 4x10gb ports is out of my range... I suppose I could get the CSS326-24G-2S+RM and 2x10gb sfp modules... that would connect the nas and PC... everything else can go on the 1gb ports...

The 5524 isn’t PoE, but otherwise it’s a decent option. You will most likely have to swap the fans out on a rackmount switch to make the noise levels acceptable for a house.

Ah, that throws that switch out the window then. I really don't mind getting a 2nd hand switch - but I think 10gb switches are still relevant at the business level and would still get a good price.... so don't think I'll be finding much on the market for my price... So as good as I can get really...

Associate
OP
I just found
TP-LINK T1700G-28TQ JetStream 24 Port Gigabit Stackable Smart Switch with 4 10GE SFP+, however it states:

"10G SFP+ ports for stacking and/or uplink"

So does that mean the 10gb port wouldn't be used for hooking up to a nas/PC? only for daisy chaining or to other server hardware?

Permabanned
I just found
TP-LINK T1700G-28TQ JetStream 24 Port Gigabit Stackable Smart Switch with 4 10GE SFP+, however it states:

So does that mean the 10gb port wouldn't be used for hooking up to a nas/PC? only for daisy chaining or to other server hardware?

That’s what stacking/uplinking means. To connect another switch to them ports.

Associate
OP
That's a shame, I'd like to use the 10gb for putting to my nas/pc.... I guess that rules out the TP link too then.

I found the CRS328-4C-20S-4S+RM for £250... do you think that's worth it?

The CRS328-4C-20S-4S+RM is a 28 independent port switch with a combo group. This device has twenty SFP ports, four SFP+ ports for 10G modules and four combo ports, where you can choose to use SFP or RJ45 ports from the combo group. These ports can also be software selected, so if you have plugged in all eight cables, you can use scripting, to decide which four combo ports will be active.

The device comes in a 1U rackmount case with two 100-240 V power supplies with failover functionality. A RJ45 console port is available for management and debugging, and a mode button can be customised to execute any RouterOS commands.

The device has a “Dual boot” feature that allows you to choose between two operating systems - RouterOS or SwOS.

it doesn't state how those 4 ports are used... so would it be safe to assume I can use those for non-networking purposes?

Last edited:
Soldato
That's a shame, I'd like to use the 10gb for putting to my nas/pc.... I guess that rules out the TP link too then.

I found the CRS328-4C-20S-4S+RM for £250... do you think that's worth it?

The CRS328-4C-20S-4S+RM is a 28 independent port switch with a combo group. This device has twenty SFP ports, four SFP+ ports for 10G modules and four combo ports, where you can choose to use SFP or RJ45 ports from the combo group. These ports can also be software selected, so if you have plugged in all eight cables, you can use scripting, to decide which four combo ports will be active.

The device comes in a 1U rackmount case with two 100-240 V power supplies with failover functionality. A RJ45 console port is available for management and debugging, and a mode button can be customised to execute any RouterOS commands.

The device has a “Dual boot” feature that allows you to choose between two operating systems - RouterOS or SwOS.

it doesn't state how those 4 ports are used... so would it be safe to assume I can use those for non-networking purposes?

That isn’t Poe though.
The only switch that MikroTik do that fits you is the CRS328-24P-4S+-RM which you’ve said is out of your range.

Don

They are standard SFP+ ports so can be used for connecting servers, Nas etc.

Only reason they are described as uplink/stacking as they are higher speed than the main port type, so ideal for linking to other switches to avoid bottlenecks.

Associate
OP
That isn’t Poe though.
The only switch that MikroTik do that fits you is the CRS328-24P-4S+-RM which you’ve said is out of your range.

Can't believe I didn't spot that... back to square 1 again.

Can anyone recommend any used switches that will be in the 250 budget?

Soldato
You're after a lot for £250 IMO. 16 port+, POE and 10Gb?

New, I'd checkout the budget brands, Zyxel do a 24 port POE+ managed switch with SFP, but no 10Gb. The Zyxel GS1900-24HP.

Can't comment on used really, never bought used networking kit.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s not exactly a huge amount over as new so could be had second hand within budget.

But we all like speccing shiny new networking kit. I totally agree that for the budget second hand is likely best fit but of course then you are dicing with a £250 spend on used kit that may not have a warranty and would likely be louder and more power hungry than a "new and up to date" equivalent.

Ya, I guess I'd take any recommendations at this point

I'd be inclined to go with @ChrisD. suggestion and browsing for used ex-corporate equipment. Sure it may be a bit older and possibly noisier/less efficient but it will get you what you want within budget.

Crazy idea? Any chance of splitting the load? a 10Gb switch and a PoE switch? That might work out about right for budget?

Man of Honour
Crazy idea? Any chance of splitting the load? a 10Gb switch and a PoE switch? That might work out about right for budget?
This is a good suggestion, a Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN offers 4x SFP+ 10 Gbit ports for a little over £100, then a cheaper PoE switch as a companion.

The problem with used enterprise kit is more often than not that they are noiisy and have heavy power consumption.

Soldato
The problem with used enterprise kit is more often than not that they are noiisy and have heavy power consumption.

My worry with specifying used as well is the older you get (read cheaper) the less abundance of 10Gb availability there will be as well meaning you end up climbing into higher kit specifications from the time so stuff gets hotter/noisier and then you end up spending similar money to the current new equivalent.

It's a tough one.

@MrClippy what exactly do you need to 10gb connect? I'm awaiting some 10Gb networking kit myself and it may be you can get away for the time being without needing a switch.

Associate
OP
But we all like speccing shiny new networking kit. I totally agree that for the budget second hand is likely best fit but of course then you are dicing with a £250 spend on used kit that may not have a warranty and would likely be louder and more power hungry than a "new and up to date" equivalent.

I'd be inclined to go with @ChrisD. suggestion and browsing for used ex-corporate equipment. Sure it may be a bit older and possibly noisier/less efficient but it will get you what you want within budget.

How would the setup work?
Would the poe switch only be able to give a 1gb feed to the 10gb uplink/stack so I'd be capped?

It would be cheaper, but would it be a lot coming through 1gb?

@MrClippy what exactly do you need to 10gb connect? I'm awaiting some 10Gb networking kit myself and it may be you can get away for the time being without needing a switch.

the 10gb line is for:
the CCTV (3 4k) cameras,
nas
web server,
I was also hoping to get my PC on a 10gb line (well now I know that won't happen)

I don't mind using 2 switches, even if it's a peculiar setup for a home, should I just increase my budget? what's the norm for a home switch with poe these days?

Back
Top Bottom