**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S10 Family Thread ****

Associate
If i had the choice of SD over Exynos without having to import and forego any warranty i'd go SD. However, I don't have an issue with the Exynos s10e I currently use. Could it be better? Probably, but my use case doesn't mean I need the extra 10/20% performance, and I don't really run into any issues of running out of battery either.

Soldato
If i had the choice of SD over Exynos without having to import and forego any warranty i'd go SD. However, I don't have an issue with the Exynos s10e I currently use. Could it be better? Probably, but my use case doesn't mean I need the extra 10/20% performance, and I don't really run into any issues of running out of battery either.
Well said. And a sentiment no doubt echoed by 99.9% of the population. I too went for the Exynos as now at the ripe age of mid-30s I could not be one bit bothered about importing/modding/flashing my tech. I just want it to work and the Exynos S10e does everything required of it. Admittedly battery life isn't stellar but when I can charge from 0-80% in under an hour it doesn't bother me. I have yet to run out of battery. Indeed I am just back from a weekend away and with my S10e on battery saver and dark theme enabled I left home at 12noon on Friday at 100% and by 6pm the following day it had dropped to 30%. Not bad going.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Flashing/modding?!

The only thing you do differently with the SD version is buying from a non UK site, that's it :p Everything else works the same as any other phone bought in the UK. Your age doesn't even factor into the equation! You either save £150 or more importing a more powerful and efficient model with the only downside being you don't get UK warranty, or you buy the UK version with the downside being a bit worse battery life and a higher cost.

I also recall the imported handsets getting the OTA updates before the UK version to the last 2 updates that happened. Days apart of course but that's still a plus point.

Soldato
I didn't mean flashing/modding in the strictest sense in relation to this particular device, it was more a generalisation. Age as a number is irrelevant however I guess what I meant was unlike 10 or 15 years ago when I had all the time in the world to shop around for my tech and take the chance on imported devices nowadays it just isn't worth the hassle. And I wouldn't say the saving is regularly £150+, I paid £520 for my S10e 2 weeks after launch which at time was possibly a saving of at most £50 over eglobal and co.

Associate
Flashing/modding?!

The only thing you do differently with the SD version is buying from a non UK site, that's it :p Everything else works the same as any other phone bought in the UK. Your age doesn't even factor into the equation! You either save £150 or more importing a more powerful and efficient model with the only downside being you don't get UK warranty, or you buy the UK version with the downside being a bit worse battery life and a higher cost.

I also recall the imported handsets getting the OTA updates before the UK version to the last 2 updates that happened. Days apart of course but that's still a plus point.

Currently, your maths only works out if you buy direct from Samsung, if you buy from elswhere you still get a warranty and the price difference is negligible at best. As i said, still probably better to get the SD variant really but your point about saving £150 isn't really valid.

With the contract I will have paid around £240 for the s10e when all is said and done, If I hadn't got a good deal then yes an SD variant would have been better value, but i did, so it isn't

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That's your contract deal though and it's good you got a decent deal, but not everyone can or is able to get such a deal for any number of reasons. WHilst others just want the best performance for the money, which is actually the SD version on import.

Whilst the UK warranty might matter to a lot of people, after a year it's not usable any more, which is where adding t phone insurance is the better option. Might cost £25 excess for any claim, but at least you're covered for the entire ownership of the phone. Factor the excess into the total cost and it still works out a better deal especially with SIM only contracts many of us here have that range from £7 to £16 a month.

Ultimately it is personal requirements based, which isn't transferable in the same sense to anyone else. You get what you need at the time as it suits your way of working. But as this is a forum, and people ask questions on how/where etc, so that's what we are discussing.

Soldato
July patch finally landed this morning, I'll see if I can do better with my battery. I'll do another factory reset this evening too and see if anything improves from then on.

Soldato
Well said. And a sentiment no doubt echoed by 99.9% of the population. I too went for the Exynos as now at the ripe age of mid-30s I could not be one bit bothered about importing/modding/flashing my tech. I just want it to work and the Exynos S10e does everything required of it. Admittedly battery life isn't stellar but when I can charge from 0-80% in under an hour it doesn't bother me. I have yet to run out of battery. Indeed I am just back from a weekend away and with my S10e on battery saver and dark theme enabled I left home at 12noon on Friday at 100% and by 6pm the following day it had dropped to 30%. Not bad going.

If it works for you then that's not a problem.

Just thought I'd mention though that I have the HK model and I've not had to flash or mod anything to get it up and running here in the UK. In fact, getting updates quicker than the UK and enjoying the rest of the benefits.

Samsung Pay works just fine too (I know there were mixed messages about whether it worked but it does)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Edit*
This is what I'm getting so far:

rps20190813_231854_278.jpg

An S10e is a budgety variant of the S10:p

"The Galaxy S10e lost an average of 50.2% across all storage options in 30 days, the S10+ lost 47% and the S10 lost 42.7% in value, says BankMyCell."

That's not what camel camel camel is reporting though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, it's been like that for me since I got the phone in June, three and a half hours SoT on mobile data, more than double when I'm on WiFi.

Soldato
Was it meant to? (not read the changelog).

Nah people just keep saying Exynos battery life meant to get better with updates but I'm just hoping something will fix my tragic battery life.

Was with my friend today who has the Plus version on EE (I'm on Three) and he was at five and a half hours SoT with 27% battery which sounds about right. I never had a problem with Three on my Samsung 7 Edge (also Exynos) though, before getting the S10e was on almost 6 hours SoT on that.

Soldato
I never did either, but I'm finding myself having to reach for the charger around 6-7pm, something I never had to do with either of the three phones I've had this year. That includes Sony Xperia 1 with its 6.5" 4k screen and that small 3330mAh battery.

I do a bit of hiking over the weekends as well and I'm basically screwed if I forget my power bank. As soon as I'm on the WiFi though, I'm easily clearing 7+ hours of SoT so it's a pretty mystifying problem. Phone doesn't get warm or overheat as far as I can tell and searching online, all I can find is some people complaining of similar issues with Exynos. Pretty big thread on Samsung forums about it and quite a few similar cases to mine.

Back
Top Bottom