What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Mars attacks - 2/10

Genuinely utterly awful. I struggle to think of any redeemable quality to the film. It’s like one of those parody films that has a list of things to lampoon and literally just ticks them off one by one in the least imaginative or funny way.

Reading the IMDB films it seems like I am missing the political, military, religious and social commentary that is so witty in the film. It’s like a child went about making the most blunt, obvious and over the top observation about all these things without any wit or intelligence.

Funny, was just thinking how this held up after all these years since it popped up on Netflix.

Soldato
Steve Jobs 6/10
Wasn't as good as I expected to be honest. Way too much quick fire dialogue. Felt like it should have been a theatre production rather than a film. Steve Jobs came across as thoroughly unlikable, but then I guess he was a bit like that. Worth a watch though.

Soldato
Brightburn a few nights back, the horror elements were excellent and some genuine wtf jaw on the floor moments ;) 7/10

However I think Chronicle from a few years back did the evil superhero thing a lot better. It's a shame we didn't get a sequel with Fox instead railroading the director to make the awful Fan4stic.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Funny, was just thinking how this held up after all these years since it popped up on Netflix.

It hasn't aged because everything was **** for the time as well. I know its supposed to have awful effects and be a bit cheesy and over the top but that is a hard type of comedy to pull of and it just fails so miserably with its complete lack of subtlety in any area.

Associate
Red Sea Diving Resort on Netflix. 6.5/10, decent watch. Israelis being the good guys and helping people, a large amount as well. No idea how much of it was true and how much was creative license but it was impressive anyway.

Soldato
I remember Mars Attacks coming out while studying media at college. It was quite a point of contention and ended up studied in one our modules as a result. What was well publicised at the time was that Burton deliberately made it looked bad. dated and over the top. This was never a secret and it was a loving homage to the 50's Alien invasion movies.

@fez was this the first time you watched it? I'd say watching it with todays mentality and sensibilities, it's never going to seem as good as it did when it came out. Definitely a movie of it's time.

Personally I loved it at the time, little interest in it now.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I remember Mars Attacks coming out while studying media at college. It was quite a point of contention and ended up studied in one our modules as a result. What was well publicised at the time was that Burton deliberately made it looked bad. dated and over the top. This was never a secret and it was a loving homage to the 50's Alien invasion movies.

@fez was this the first time you watched it? I'd say watching it with todays mentality and sensibilities, it's never going to seem as good as it did when it came out. Definitely a movie of it's time.

Personally I loved it at the time, little interest in it now.

I've seen it before in its entirety I am pretty sure but I have definitely seen most of it. I like other films that are of the same ilk but this just missed the mark in every way.

Soldato
Works War Z on Film 4. If you ignore the fact that it's nothing like the book, it actually not a bad zombie movie. There are some great scenes but it's still fairly middling.
I would love to see a TV series made in the episodic manner of the book. I can't believe no one has picked it up in that manner it might as well have been written for it.

Associate
Ugh, I hated this :( Thought the two lead actors were just awful. They had this weird love / hate thing going on and zero chemistry. Story was a load of old tosh too. I guess it looked quite good. Was a 3/10 for me.
I hated Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets too. In my opinion, the actor who played Valerian seemed totally wrong for the role.

Soldato
Yup, I couldn't even finish it - which is rare for me.
The sick looking main actor really wasn't selling me on being some kind of hotshot alpha ladies man for one thing.

Nice visuals, though.

Soldato
Felt like it was trying to recapture that Fifth Element magic. Fifth Element is one of those rare movies that you know is a bit trashy and bad but it just works and comes together brilliantly.

Back
Top Bottom