New To Blogging Feedback Appreciated

Soldato
Hi Peeps

A few months ago I was asking for assistance with Wordpress and many people gave freely of their help was much appreciated.

I have been using my new Blog for a few months trying to build up some content and get the hang of it and also develop a style. The blog I've produced is a very basic Wordpress site, it's a lifestyle blog. I'm not looking to make money from it directly although at one point we were trying to promote my wife's craft hobby through it.

If any of you would be interested in having a look and providing some feedback it would be greatly appreciated. This is literally my first every HTML/Internet/Website/blog/thing and well meaning criticism will be taken in the spirit it is given. I only do this as a mid week occasional thing so if you don't see me making changes on the basis of feedback immediately it's because I have a job that requires me to work away, a wife, two kids and loads of DIY to do but I am still actively working on the blog.

Oh yeah, technical, layout, style or content feedback all welcome. Also if you see something that is really wrong please let me know asap.

In advance, thank you.

fatcatspatch.co.uk

Soldato
OP
You’re probably not wrong. I don’t feel like vlogging but rather than a diary I’d like something public. I’ll be sharing it with family once I’m happy with it.

Soldato
There are probably diary based scripts that could be used instead of blogging sites and what is worse is WordPress, horrible platform to use IMO.

Nothing worse than the worlds leading blogging platform for blogging? It's fine if you spend the time setting it up, securing it, customising it.

Yes, there are alternatives but for someone new to the game with little experience Wordpress offers a simple and powerful platform for them to learn from.

Permabanned
Nothing worse than the worlds leading blogging platform for blogging? It's fine if you spend the time setting it up, securing it, customising it.

Yes, there are alternatives but for someone new to the game with little experience Wordpress offers a simple and powerful platform for them to learn from.

I’m not bothered if it’s a leading platform it’s horrible to use IMO.

Soldato
OP
Given the blip in visits I got ten days ago people plainly visited my site but no feedback received. If anyone wants to share it would be much appreciated, I'll be spreading the word amongst friends soon anyway.

Soldato
I'm not a fan of light text on a dark background when reading a lot of it (it's fine for a few lines as a photo caption or something like that) but that's just my preference.

There's very few blogs I read these days as I prefer to watch video - and I think most other people do now too. The blogs I do read is mostly because of the photography. I think that's the only real selling-point of text-based blogs these days so I feel your photos could be improved. They don't need to be massive high-resolution photos taken on a £3000 camera (but your iphone probably isn't going to cut it), just a bit more thought about what you're trying to show and what gets included/excluded from the photos. There's a few photos with random objects and clutter lying around in the background which distract from the main focus of the image and also some with bits cut off (that may be the WordPress crop rather than your photography though), some of the cooking photos, for example, have a knife in the foreground which gets cropped out of the edge of the frame. I would say either include it fully in frame or exclude it.

edit: Just to say - I'm certainly no photography expert but there is a photography subforum on here where you'd get much better advice if you wanted to try and improve your photos

Soldato
OP
@touch Thank you very much for taking the time to respond, it is greatly appreciated.

I do have access to an SLR with a stock lens which no doubt would do a better job. Your comment on framing is well made, at the moment I'm just capturing things I'm doing as I'm doing them which has that consequence of poor composition. I'll have a think about how I can improve this area. More forethought and preparation.

Although it does mean I may have to tidy the kitchen and dining room before cooking now:mad:

Cheers

PlacidCasual

Back
Top Bottom