Oculus Rift CV1 replacement cables no longer available

Soldato
It seems that the Oculus Rift CV1 replacement cables are no longer available.

This means that (as has happened to me) if your CV1 cable gets worn out or breaks you won't be able to purchase a replacement, rendering your otherwise fully working Rift useless! The cable is proprietary and I've not seen any third party replacements.

I've been in touch with Oculus support about this, and as my Rift is just out of warranty they refused to replace it, and instead to buy a new cable, but just as soon as I went to buy one I found that the cable is no longer available.

It seems there are a fair few people like me on Reddit who want to buy replacement cables but can't.

I've been able to get my cable working, but it's very dodgy and can cut out if you move it or tread on it. It's only a matter of time before it fails completely :(

Associate
I actually bought a spare cable for my Vive as soon as I got it....just in case. Which reminds me I need to do the same for my Pro as that is a nasty proprietary cable as well!

These things need to go wireless sooner rather than later!

Soldato
Still hoping that this is just a temporary stock issue otherwise it's a real low move by Oculus and would put me off ever buying their products again.

Soldato
I wonder what the connector is that goes into the headset. Shouldn't be too difficult to knock up a replacement cable assy if you have the right connectors.

Soldato
would have thought the same. i'm waiting for the slooe of replacmenet cable to become available now :)
Oculas wont like that.

It's bound to happen. As soon as there becomes a need for the cable, the Chinese will produce them at a fraction of the cost of the original. If this is some cheap trick by facebook to get users to upgrade to the latest and greatest just because a cable has worn, will just annoy the community.

Soldato
OP
The only company I know that's produced a cable with a copy of the Rift CV1 proprietary connector are TPCast for their wireless adapter.

Soldato
IF a knock off becomes available hopefully they will go one better and add 1 or 2 m of length to it :)

fingers crossed it is a temporary issue given they only stopped selling the headset a few months back.

Soldato
So what is the connector that goes into the headset. Someone has to produce it. Then it's just a matter of getting a pin-out to find out what goes where.

Soldato
OP
Had an outrageous response from Oculus, which boils down to 'buy a Rift S'!

"Since your product is out of warranty, we won’t be able to provide a replacement cable. As Oculus Rift is no longer a product in market, we invite you to check out the current available Oculus products we have at oculus.com.

We understand your concern and truly appreciate your continued support to Oculus over the last few years. We hope that you will find interest in our new line of Oculus products so you can continue to enjoy VR."

I have a Rift, a Go, and a Quest. I've invested heavily in the Oculus ecosystem, and bought loads of games off the Oculus store, for all three devices. Seems like customer loyalty counts for nothing.

To say I'm disappointed is to put it mildly. I was thinking about getting a Rift S at some point, but I'm seriously reconsidering now.

Associate
While it's not unreasonable that they no longer produce spare parts for the CV1, I would have thought they'd still have a healthy supply of parts available. It's only been a few months surely? Unless they stopped manufacturing a year ago and were just emptying out stock until the S was ready.

I suspect once HTC finally calls time on the OG Vive, parts will similarly dry up within a few months.

Soldato
While it's not unreasonable that they no longer produce spare parts for the CV1, I would have thought they'd still have a healthy supply of parts available. It's only been a few months surely? Unless they stopped manufacturing a year ago and were just emptying out stock until the S was ready.

I suspect once HTC finally calls time on the OG Vive, parts will similarly dry up within a few months.

I am sure they have enough parts to cover warranty repairs. From March 2020, when warranties run out, there might be a possibility that some of those spares could go on sale.

Associate

"Since your product is out of warranty, we won’t be able to provide a replacement cable. As Oculus Rift is no longer a product in market, we invite you to check out the current available Oculus products we have at oculus.com.

We understand your concern and truly appreciate your continued support to Oculus over the last few years. We hope that you will find interest in our new line of Oculus products so you can continue to enjoy VR."

I have a Rift, a Go, and a Quest. I've invested heavily in the Oculus ecosystem, and bought loads of games off the Oculus store, for all three devices. Seems like customer loyalty counts for nothing.

To say I'm disappointed is to put it mildly. I was thinking about getting a Rift S at some point, but I'm seriously reconsidering now.

That is very poor Ravenger, a dedicated customer and treated like this, shabby.
Glad I also got rid of mine but to be honest never had any issues with mine, might have been due to my cables being on the roof on spring loaded wires.

Soldato

Go public and post it on the oculus reddit.

Soldato
Go public and post it on the oculus reddit.

It's already there and being ignored by Oculus. Has now been confirmed by support to somebody in need that no more are being produced. Can but hope a third party picks up the slack. Utterly disgusted by this myself, very underhand.

Soldato
Well this is the headset connector end. Looks to have 34 pins/connections.

rift-hdmi-cable-health-01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom