Returning to the UK - Manchester

Associate
Already I hear the groans, why would you move back to the UK... Yes yes yes, I know all of that but preferences and all. Plus, why Manchester of all places! Yes yes, I know that too.

So the wife and I made the decision to move back to the UK. It didn't come lightly because it is a big shift from New Zealand, some family left behind, scenery and culture etc. etc. There are some health reasons for moving back as well.

My big question here is whats good in Manchester? I have never been before so something new to me. We are moving because of a new job prospect making some good coin pre and post Brexit. We are looking at places along the tram lines so as I have never been, what places should I avoid? Any places that require stab proof vests?

Soldato
A million different options really - I personally love living in the City Centre and live in Spinningfields, but appreciate that's not necessarily for everyone, and may not be in everyone's budget. A lot of people I know enjoy living in the likes of Prestwich but would need to know more about budget, wishes etc - Prestwich is near Heaton Park so you've got some good greenery on your doorstep, a fairly decent community from what I can gather.

As for places to avoid - you'll hear loads of bad about loads of places, but use your head and you'll be fine on most of them. I worked in Moss Side for a few years and never had any issues, I would personally avoid student areas but that's a preference.

Soldato
I was born and bred in Manchester so I may be biased but it is a fantastic city, it's going through a boom at the moment, lots of new high rises going up, earning it it's new nickname, MancHatten!
Manchester really is a melting pot of different cultures but like all big cities, it has it's bad parts. Spice is a problem in the city centre, particularly Piccadilly gardens, avoid it. There are loads of areas worth visiting. Spinningfields is great, loads of restaurants and pubs / bars, the Northern quarter is also great, more niche in my opinion though. You're not short of places to eat regardless. Shopping is fantastic in the city, you can get anything from basics to your high end fashion etc.

There is only one place in England i'd even consider living over Manchester, that's Newcastle upon Tyne. However, New Zealand is better than both of them haha.

Soldato
I love the Lake District and it’s handy living on its door step but it’s not a patch on NZ, well the South Island anyways

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Knutsford is lovely. Beautiful, leafy countryside but close enough to the city to be Manchester. Might be less of a landing impact from NZ

Last edited:
Soldato
Manchester born and bred here, for better or worse.

It's a great city and has good good food / nightlife / shops and a seemingly booming economy with a new skyscraper going up every month. it is compact enough to walk from one side to the other in 20 minutes which I take for granted until I visit other cities.

In terms of what's good? The food scene is much better than it used to be and bar culture is popular now so there's plenty of choice for a more relaxed night out than there used to be. Piccadilly Gardens is still a ****hole though!

There's also at least half a dozen towns within 30-40 minutes of Manchester that are also worth a visit to keep things varied. Places like wilmslow / chorlton / whitefield / Bury and you've also got the Peak District and alke District not too far away.

House prices are getting quite. I would suggest living near a metrolink stop or decent bus route if you live more than a mile from the city centre but expect to pay more for the convenience.

North Manchester has traditionally been cheaper to live in but if I was new to the city, I'd probably only recommend living near prestwich / whitefield.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Depends also if NZ do a decent greasy kebab with the correct(!!) chilli sauce!

If they don't, Manchester it is! :D

Soldato
The North side of Manchester is a bit rough, pretty much stretching round from Salford to Ashton. There are a couple of nice areas in the North side so not to tarnish it all with the same brush.

The South side is quite expensive though, and some of the affluent areas are pretty much on par with South of England house prices, so don't be under the illusion that there's cheap property. You can buy cheap property in the North, a 4 bed house can be had for well under 200k.

It's a great city though, so really just depends on your budget.

Soldato
As mentioned there are a lot of areas and most will depend on your budget really and where abouts you're working (presume the centre?)

I'd be inclined to avoid the east Manchester and focus more on South (The various Heatons, Didsbury, Chorlton, Sale etc) if the budget allows and you don't want to be in the centre.

Otherwise Salford Quays could be nice if but you're only really looking at a flat around there.

Caporegime
I wouldn't come back to the UK really unless as you say health reasons and the free NHS benefits.

Great time to move back from NZ, the exchange rate is extremely good thanks to the pound tanking.

I remember it being over 3 NZD to the pound, now its 1.92 NZD to the pound. It was 1.8 in December and close to that through the Summer.

Associate
There's quite a boom now with small bars/restaurants opening up seemingly everywhere to support the local communities where this was perhaps more common in the south of the city previously. Lots of places were traditional pubs are being replaced by these
Even as far out as Tyldesley and Atherton now along the guided but route
Obviously if you are younger/no kids and want to be clubbing etc then the city centre or close to is preferable. You're budget, if you want to but/rent and lifestyle will dictate the areas. Also traffic, where will you be working and will you be driving?

Soldato
In terms of city centre, "Ancoats" is the area to be now...just outside the northern quarter but with lots of new bars restaurants and cafes, and not really "known" by tourists/suburbs folk (who "go out on the town" and get wasted), so has a really good feel to it, and best pizza you're likely to have anywhere (Rudys).

If you want a more suburby area, Urmston is fantastic with one of the best schools (Urmston Grammar), not on the tramline but does have a fast train from the station to Deansgate in <10 minutes, so actually more appealing than most places the tram goes to!

Commissario
If I were moving to Manchester, I'd be trying to find somewhere within walking distance of this place and booking a seat every night for the next 480 days so I can work my way through the menu, one at a time.

teBCliT.jpeg

Soldato
Being close to a tram or train stop is a must as the buses are pretty poor around here. After that, it's just a question of what your budget is and what you want on your doorstep. I can only speak from my own experience but we live in Northern Moor which is not the greatest area by any means, but has improved significantly over the last few years. We're ~15 minutes on the tram from Chorlton/Didsbury but our house was probably £80k+ cheaper than an equivalent there. Town is 25 mins or so on the tram and the services are reliable. It's also well connected for the motorways.

From here, it's a short drive or bike ride to Mobberley/Ashley/Tatton Park which is on the edge of the Cheshire countryside, whereas if you were closer to town that is a bit less accessible. We also have a decent sized park nearby. It's a million miles from NZ but some greenery is nice.

Living in town would be fun but it'd be a big shock to the system depending on where you're currently living.

We moved here after a few years in London and love the place though. Really, really good bar and restaurant scene and plenty going on in town (just avoid Piccadilly Gardens as mentioned) but everything is within a short walk.

Back
Top Bottom