Road Cycling

Soldato
Guys
I have a dura ace setup with a 28 on the back and 36 front and the tough hills are too much of a killer.
What is the biggest cassette I can get on there. Is 32 doable?
I believe the rear mech is a long cage but not 100% sure. Is there an easy way of finding out?
Thanks
You need to let us know what series it is.

I seem to recall the old DA (7900?) the biggest cassette available was a 28t, which didn't change from the move to 11 speed with 9000, so there was no need for a 'long' RD. It was only the lower groupsets which had one for their 32t (and now 34t) cassettes. DA9100 now supports 30t and with some tweaking you can get it working with a 32t Ultegra cassette no problem (think Ollie from GCN did it when he Everested)...

EDIT: https://www.bespokecycling.com/blog/components/shimano-dura-ace-past-and-present

talking about DA 9100 mechnical said:
The rear derailleur has a radical new appearance prompted by the Shadow low-profile design first introduced on its mountain bike line, and it now accommodates a 30t sprocket, previously limited to 28t.

So what Ollie did, if you have old '4 arm' DA (9000) then I would say even with some careful tweaking the biggest you can get on there is a 30t. It's probably worth googling around as I'm sure someone else will have tried it with an in depth guide/video.

Thanks guys. Will probably give the Wahoo Bolt an order, not sure if I want the massive Elemnt or not!
ELEMNT isn't massive. Mines pretty much the same size as my old Edge 810. :cool:

EDIT: Zipp argh!

LBS just emailed me back. Zipp rim for my 30 Course costs around £141 and has a 8-12 week delivery time. That's before they even consider the building (and I know they only like to build with new spokes) I had a feeling it might be that painful. I'm sure I've seen new/wiggle ebay complete wheels going for ~£150 with the SRAM XD freehub that nobody uses... So that's my current medium-term plan. But for now need to find a short-medium term rear wheel. I have my old AXIS 4.0 wheels... But that has a knackered rear hub. Might be a bodge to see if I can solve that...!

Last edited:
Soldato
Check again (unless ive missed it), he's 6ft 3.

AndyC - what is the bike size? Your pushing a "size 58" / Large (if that wasnt a typo). Before you transfer a penny (on the bike or any other items), make sure that the frame size is appropriate for you. And a bike fit is always money well spent; better a decent bike fit than new kit.

It's a 56 and feels okay to me. My Hybrid was a 54...

At 6'3, you'll be looking at 175 size crank length. (Assuming that your inside leg length is in proportion).
And at that weight, you'll want an 11-32 or an 11-34 cassette with an 34/50 teeth chainset.
Unless you like grinding things out on the hills - I dont.

Anything smaller and you're going into cyclecross equipment. What i've listed is just standard shimano road kit.

Hmm, okay, thanks. Will bear that in mind. Not sure I'm doing the groupset just yet.

A friend has recommended these wheels. Any thoughts? I've listed Halfords cause actually they look to be price matching Wiggle, who were £60 cheaper than Evans and I also get 10% from Halfords, so they come down to about £620. I assume I then get some Continental Grand Prix 5000 to slap on them and I'm ready for the Tour of Britain?

Soldato
What lumen light(s) do you guys generally ride on the front? As it's gonna be getting a lot darker soon and nearly dark by the time I'm home from work I think I might look at another light on the front - currently got a NiteRider Swift 350. Do quite like the look of some of the Lezyne 1100-1300's and the Cateye Volt equivalents.

Man of Honour
What lumen light(s) do you guys generally ride on the front? As it's gonna be getting a lot darker soon and nearly dark by the time I'm home from work I think I might look at another light on the front - currently got a NiteRider Swift 350. Do quite like the look of some of the Lezyne 1100-1300's and the Cateye Volt equivalents.

2000lm... and I wouldn't go back (Lifeline Pavo 2000).

Associate
Ah yeah sorry @Roady
It’s a 9170 I believe ( 2018 hydraulic di2). The cage looked about the same as my ultegra long cage that has a 32 on it. Should’ve posted this when I was home( away for a few days holidaying).
I did do a bit of googling and I read similar to what you said but got a bit confused as I seem to. The space between wheels ( teeth not centre) is approx 2 fingers which seems to suggest it’s a long cage mech.

Associate
Thanks guys. Will probably give the Wahoo Bolt an order, not sure if I want the massive Elemnt or not!

The Elemnt isn’t big at all. I appreciate the extra screen size over the bolt although would get a roam now.

My only problem with wahoo is the app. It won’t save my weight so can’t use the W/kg feature. It constantly reverts back to a base 104kg.
Apparently they closed my ticket as it was a known problem.
Anyone else have this?

Soldato
It's a 56 and feels okay to me. My Hybrid was a 54...
Hmm, okay, thanks. Will bear that in mind. Not sure I'm doing the groupset just yet.

A friend has recommended these wheels. Any thoughts? I've listed Halfords cause actually they look to be price matching Wiggle, who were £60 cheaper than Evans and I also get 10% from Halfords, so they come down to about £620. I assume I then get some Continental Grand Prix 5000 to slap on them and I'm ready for the Tour of Britain?

I dont have any experience with these so I wont comment.
One thing to be cautious of is the hub type - there are two options; Shimano/Sram & Campagnolo.

Shimano/Sram is interchangeable but you cant put a Shimano/Sram cassette on a Campagnolo hub (and visa versa). You can change the hubs type on wheels but it's a faff, just get the right type when you buy and you're golden.

That link doesn't explicitly state the hub type so check before you buy. I'd put money that its for Campagnolo groupset only.
(Campagnolo own a brand called Fulcrum. Fulcrum do kit for Shimano/Sram groupsets and offer great performance for money).

Soldato
They read as nearly a 2kg wheelset. Quite old in design - narrow & deep as hell, but they should be fast on the flat being that chunky. Some reviews here, but not many others around. Cup & cone bearings, but read as a solid and reliable 'do everything' deep wheelset. 110kg weight limit on them, less if you go for the fancy USB/CULT bearings.

Running a ~1700 lumen Exposure Race at probably 900/1000 lumen and its more than enough for me 90% the time. Running it that 'low' gives me great burn time. Only times I've run it higher is in foggy/snow/heavy rain, but mostly to be as visible as possible, rather than actually needing more visibility. I came to it from the Cateye volt800 and found it 'not quite enough' in many conditions other than clear darkness. Commuting through streetlights across town it was enough, but out of them it lacked a little. Still a fantastic light and almost unbeatable for the price. I'd say as a 'starting point' light they're great balance of value/feature/power. See loads of them on the wiggle 'bay page from returns. I'd happily buy one of them for ~£30 if I needed another cheap light. The clip broke on mine, but only after quite a bit of abuse and it was around 3 times the price they are now.

Ah yeah sorry @Roady
It’s a 9170 I believe ( 2018 hydraulic di2). The cage looked about the same as my ultegra long cage that has a 32 on it. Should’ve posted this when I was home( away for a few days holidaying).
I did do a bit of googling and I read similar to what you said but got a bit confused as I seem to. The space between wheels ( teeth not centre) is approx 2 fingers which seems to suggest it’s a long cage mech.
Depends on your fingers, haha! Yeah but sounds 'medium' (think they're generally 'short' and 'medium' now?), so should be no issue with a 30t and probably a 32t with a tweak being 9170.

The Elemnt isn’t big at all. I appreciate the extra screen size over the bolt although would get a roam now.

My only problem with wahoo is the app. It won’t save my weight so can’t use the W/kg feature. It constantly reverts back to a base 104kg.
Apparently they closed my ticket as it was a known problem.
Anyone else have this?
Surely that's an excuse to just eat more cake? :D

Nope hadn't heard there was a bug with weight. Running latest firmware/app? Equally no idea what mines set to and if I wanna risk changing it... I';m heavier than I should be, but 104 is a bit too far...!

I could never get the W/kg working on mine, I wanted to use it with a lap to give me the w/kg average for laps but couldn't get it to. But that was a while ago.

EDIT: Just looked. For weight. Mine is set to Imperial and then 165 lbs. So around 75kg. At the moment I'd consider that a target and not an actual! lol ;) :o

Maybe switch to imperial and see if it then saves (if you've not tried something like that already?)

Windmill in and chuck it on.
Ahhahaha. Nevermind the more recent definition of windmilling, what was that guy on that funny scetch about windmilling when brawling's name!? Anyone know the one I'm on about? What ever happened to him.

Heads up chain reaction has garmin 820s at 50% off just over 200 euro for it.
So that';s around £380 at the current exchange rate?! ;) :D :o

Last edited:
Associate
Nice lineup!

What tyres are those on hers? Tread really stands out and looks different. Gonna get a coloured bottle cage for hers to match the bikes Blue? Although I'm a bit OCD when it comes to that... And her saddle level doesn't look that flat considering rear is elevated by stand...

Although still running 2 cages on the TT bar monster with that huge air brake, sorry, 'aero' bar bottle?! Thirsty?! ;) :o :D

on the A1r, shes using Reynolds ATR 650b with GP5000 28mm.
on the Concept, shes using Mavic CXR with maivc griplink 23mm on the front and Ron Aeron Disc with GP5000 25mm on the back.

yes, need to find a new bottle cage. she broke her one few weeks back. This is the only one i have spare. Looking at Elite Cannbial XC in gloss black and blue at the moment.

The new bike is her triathlon bike, she doesnt do TT. the top is for pure water, downtube bottole for disgusting gel/electrolyte mix and the seat tube one is for sealant/spares/tools. we are thinking geting a saddle mount for at least one of the bottle cage. but she's not confident enough to reach the back mid-ride.

Soldato
on the A1r, shes using Reynolds ATR 650b with GP5000 28mm.
on the Concept, shes using Mavic CXR with maivc griplink 23mm on the front and Ron Aeron Disc with GP5000 25mm on the back.
Ahh, I see now, they're both *hers*! She's got good taste! :D

Really like the look of those ATR650b. That size with those 28mm's on they look massive!

There's a saddle bracket thingy (Topeak?) which would give you bottle bosses on the seattube to mount a bottle cage to. Chuck the spares/tools one on there. Or just grab a cheapy saddlebag. Both loads cheaper than the saddle mounted cage options that every Tri/TT rider spends a small fortune on. :)

EDIT: Found it. £4. Props to Steve for that one!

Never used him personally but always see his wheels at road races all over the country.
Based on the testimonials and riders in some of the picture he is very highly regarded in Scotland.
Thanks. I don't tend to 'trust' testimonials on websites, always good to get them from a 3rd party/alternate source! ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
@Jonny ///M or @xdcx come across Wheelsmith? He's Falkirk area so right between you guys. Good wheelbuilder?

Think he just uses gigantex rims and novatec hubs. Last set I worked on were certainly **** hubs and narrow/deep rims. OK for £700 but the bullets at £620 feel better made to me. Prime wheels are the same, light but **** bearings and freehub body.

My mate has standard bullets and they don't feel a million miles away from the dura ace c50s I was using.

Soldato
@Jonny ///M or @xdcx come across Wheelsmith? He's Falkirk area so right between you guys. Good wheelbuilder?

I've got a set of 50s on rs4 hope hubs using his blue pads. They've been great. I would have gone slightly wider rim if I could, but it's borderline my frame taking 28s so stuck with 25s. They arrived running what looks perfectly straight by eye and still the same a good few thousand miles later. The blue pads I was sceptical of, but they're very good for carbon rim braking. Brake track is still unmarked. Weight is good as well, around 1500g for the pair I believe. Nice and easy to fit tyres onto as well unlike some rims.

Back
Top Bottom