Amex/american express

Associate
I have been using the Gold as primary but I'm considering switching back to my BA one.

With work trip Avios points I was able to make the companion voucher worth quite a bit. Managed to get Business Class flights to St Lucia for the wife and I as reward + companion. Need loads of passive Avios from traveling though.

Don
I missed that one, that offer was on my other BA card and I had like 6 months to spend 10k....just couldn't do it with the Gold one at the same time.

we are running 2 x BA premiums at moment, can just about make the £20k spend for 2 vouchers a year, harder bit is generating 250-300k miles to use them

Soldato
I really need to spend my 300k points from my gold amex.

Think I need to get the BA amex to get a companion voucher, spend £10k (easy done), then I get the 2-4-1 voucher.

How easy is it then to find first class flights to spend the points on? Is there anywhere you can check the points costs etc?

Soldato
I really need to spend my 300k points from my gold amex.

Think I need to get the BA amex to get a companion voucher, spend £10k (easy done), then I get the 2-4-1 voucher.

How easy is it then to find first class flights to spend the points on? Is there anywhere you can check the points costs etc?
First class flights are hard to find as they're only release on a few flights whereas 2 Avios business seats are released on every flight. Suggest you aim for business and if you find a first class flight treat it as a bonus. You can buy Avios flights 355 days from the date of the flight.

You can check the Avios charge for each route here. This doesn't include taxes/fees which are usually around £500 - 600 for a long haul flight in business. The Companion Voucher doesn't give you 2 4 1 on the taxes/fees.

Don
Many long haul BA destinations don't have first class

There are 2 business class released for every flight but no guarantee on first, having said that my bother gets them quite regularly

Caporegime
and it begins!

Got the card yesterday, took the dog to the vets and thought brilliant whilst i bend over and pay a fortune, at least i'm earning points. Nope, don't accept amex!

A vet is never going to take Amex, even the insurance company for my camera don't take Amex.

Sainsbury's, Shell, Tesco, Waitrose, Amazon, anywhere that takes PayPal (link it as your primary card).

Basically that covers 99% of shopping online.

Soldato
A vet is never going to take Amex, even the insurance company for my camera don't take Amex.

Sainsbury's, Shell, Tesco, Waitrose, Amazon, anywhere that takes PayPal (link it as your primary card).

Basically that covers 99% of shopping online.

I find a lot of pay-at-pump's don't take Amex and you have to go in a queue up like a chump :(

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I find a lot of pay-at-pump's don't take Amex and you have to go in a queue up like a chump :(
I do >30k miles/year and i have never had a petrol station not accept Amex at the pump. :confused: Having used Amex for years, you know where will take it and where wont, enough do that >99% of all of my spend is via them.

Soldato
They don't take my Curve card either so i'm used to that :(

Why not? I have a Curve card and the only place I’ve had problems paying is instore at Tesco. Never had an issue paying at the pump using my Amex.

Disclaimer: just because I don’t have problems doesn’t mean others won’t ;)

Soldato
Why not? I have a Curve card and the only place I’ve had problems paying is instore at Tesco. Never had an issue paying at the pump using my Amex.

Disclaimer: just because I don’t have problems doesn’t mean others won’t ;)

Do you pay at the pump? I've always had mine declined. Something to do with not being able to pre-authorise it i was told. Although it's quite a while since i tried it now as i always have to go into the kiosk.

Doubt i'll use the Curve card as much anymore though with having the Amex

Soldato
Do you pay at the pump? I've always had mine declined. Something to do with not being able to pre-authorise it i was told. Although it's quite a while since i tried it now as i always have to go into the kiosk.

Doubt i'll use the Curve card as much anymore though with having the Amex

Yes, I pay at the pump.

Im also thinking about dropping the Curve card as I’m not using it too often these days. I do like the feel of the metal card though.

Soldato
I do >30k miles/year and i have never had a petrol station not accept Amex at the pump. :confused: Having used Amex for years, you know where will take it and where wont, enough do that >99% of all of my spend is via them.

Hit and miss for me, Tesco are usually bad for it and some Sainsbury's.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Strange, i usually try to use supermarkets and have never had Amex rejected by any pump ever. Perhaps blind luck then :)

Back
Top Bottom