Nice to have

1 - Under screen fingerprint reader
2 - Wireless charging
3 - 6G RAM or more
4 - Expandable micro SD card
5 - Clean Android OS
6 - Snapdragon 845
7 - IP67

p.s. don't really care about camera, long as it has one, it will be adequate. Samsung S8? Huewai P20 Pro?

Soldato
I gave my old S8 to a family member about a year ago. Everything about it still looks fine to me and I can recommend it as an option.

Caporegime
OP
I'm a big fan of Xiaomi and the Xiaomi Mi 9t/Redmi K20 pretty much tick all the boxes.

https://youtu.be/zpsg_j_Nswg

The downside? Not a massive one, but you will need to buy it from import sites like eglobal central.

I saw MKBHD's review and there is a 9T and K20 and K20 Pro and it all looks the same....How do I make sure I get the K20 Pro with the SnapDragon 845 and not the 7390 chip?

Last edited:
Associate
I saw MKBHD's review and there is a 9T and K20 and K20 Pro and it all looks the same....I do I make sure I get the K20 Pro wit the SnapDragon 845 and not the 7390 chip?

The 9T/K20 has the Snapdragon 730 while the 9T Pro/K20 Pro has the Snapdragon 855.

The 9T and K20 is the exact same phone, just named different in India vs China. Same goes for the Pro versions..

You can get the K20 Pro 6G/64GB with the Global rom from Aliexpress for £255. Shipping will probibly take 3 weeks though.

From Eglobal Central you will have it in a week, but you will pay a premium for it!

Obviously pay with a credit card for buyers protection.. ;)

Here is a direct comparison between the two phones.

https://youtu.be/wYktAoZHnJA

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
The 9T/K20 has the Snapdragon 730 while the 9T Pro/K20 Pro has the Snapdragon 855.

The 9T and K20 is the exact same phone, just named different in India vs China. Same goes for the Pro versions..

You can get the K20 Pro 6G/64GB with the Global rom from Aliexpress for £255. Shipping will probibly take 3 weeks though.

From Eglobal Central you will have it in a week, but you will pay a premium for it!

Obviously pay with a credit card for buyers protection.. ;)

Here is a direct comparison between the two phones.

https://youtu.be/wYktAoZHnJA

Thanks, the K20 Pro is certainly in the running....I also found out that you can get a Samsung S9 refurb for about £300 too....insane value!

Caporegime
OP
Ahhh ok sweet, good value phone :)

Considering it is just a back up, it will be more than up to the task.

It will also be my side monitor for my DJI Pocket, that's it's main purpose really, and when travelling and I need to put a local sim card into a phone, I prefer that to be separate and not take the sim card out of my main phone.

Soldato
I'm waiting to see what the price the Realme X2 Pro is released at. Rumours say it's going to be €300, but nothing concrete yet and that seems low for the amount of tech. Then again, who knows?

Soldato
Jumping in here seen as Raymond is sorted. Any options for £250 that are <6" tall? My girlfriend wants to update her Moto G5 but she already feels it's way too big.

I have a Mi A2 Lite which is probably perfect for her, trying to figure out from the newer lineup of Xiaomi phones what might be better seen as that's a bit old already. Thanks.

EDIT: Preferably running Android One or close to stock; rather than MUIU or something.

Back
Top Bottom