Road Cycling

Soldato
It really amazed me that this hadn't blown up sooner. The second I heard how Zwift works with ANT+ I thought surely you could just intercept the communication between the trainer and Zwift and boost the numbers. There's no encryption or authentication used so Zwift is none the wiser. I bet it's been going on a lot during races too.

Soldato
Ahhh, hadn't realised they where vines, you not partaking? :D

Of course I am, being a 90kg drinking pro :p

More into the beer and a nice Gin.

Good stuff, setup looks ace. Do love a good Hope buzzzzzzzzzzz. Was really chuffed when my Zipps sounded similar! :D

Good luck for the winds, watching the IM/partaking?

Cheers, loving the wheels. Grabbed them 2nd hand earlier in the year just as I was going to buy new ones. And Hope hubs are easy to service, whilst sounding ace.

Winds have been awful so we haven't been on the bikes for 2 days. 70.3 Ironman cancelled the swim today and from coverage they seem to be blown around a lot.

Definitely not taking part, but with the winds dropping tomorrow we're going to do our own similar ironman 70k route tomorrow, missing out the silly draggy road to/from Plays Blanca.

Also why Praxis, just interested as I just moved away for various reasons to R8000. It would've been easier to stay with their M30 but I grew to hate the setup/BB.

As their cranksets are cheap 2nd hand on eBay, seem decent and come in 48-32, 50-34, 52-36. Plus they look better than ugly Shimano. Hambini results for their BB compared to his seemed favourable also. Plus my frame is an English threaded BB.

I would be really interested to know why you grew to hate it and moved away?

Soldato
Autumn Epic completed. It hurt. Will do a more indeph write up when I get time. Somehow I was second rider back on the 80 mile course! Only walked 3 times, once when a I lost traction on a wet ramp with leaves on, then twice on 1 hill (Glascwm) which was just a wall at that stage.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2768128914

Who needs mountains when you have Mid-Wales! ;)

As with anything Zwift/online cycling things love to get blown up and taken completely out of context. But it does nicely drag Zwift into the limelight to put some fixes in place which ride/race organisers have been asking for, for many years and they've turned a blind eye to.

Just give everyone the same equipment and let it be the best rider which wins.
This. Or more accurately the organisers not implementing this is a HUGE oversight. It's be like a team riding the WT with a 4kg bike. There are rules against it!

Cameron Jeffers - I’m surprised they weren’t all on the same kit for the final and for me a 6 month from all racing is a massive overreaction.
It's a massive overreaction, possibly, but it also sets a precident and makes a huge example of him and what he did. Obviously now there will be a massive followup now and one of the first things I bet Zwift will do is allow ride organisers to 'restrict' the bikes and equipment riders can use in some rides.

Lets be honest, he's probably the biggest Zwift vblogger who races and has a massive following in the community. There will be backlash of some kind, but equally someone knew about this and sat on it, waiting for the perfect chance to release it. I'm not condoning what he did, but equally it needs to be taken in context - give me a list of the riders who competed, what they where riding and which HADN'T got access to the Tron bike. I bet they all did. That in itself is a bit of a joke, for someone committed to Zwift as a training tool it's relatively 'easy' to get the Tron bike. So him getting it by 'cheating' again seems bizarre, possibly it's when he just joined Zwift and needed to get a 'leg up' in racing to be able to compete with others who already had it.

Look at my drop off :(

48843676701_4b24fbfc5f_b.jpg
Oooft, damn! Was that a combination of things? Your January 2019 climb is very impressive, don't try to ramp up like that now, or at least be careful. I've tried to recover too early/quickly a couple of times and just ended up setting myself back. Especially this time of year - as it's easier to get ill.

It really amazed me that this hadn't blown up sooner. The second I heard how Zwift works with ANT+ I thought surely you could just intercept the communication between the trainer and Zwift and boost the numbers. There's no encryption or authentication used so Zwift is none the wiser. I bet it's been going on a lot during races too.
It's been known about any exploited lots of times before over the last couple of years... I recall someone doing it even before AdZ, think even on basic Watopia as soon as they announced the Tron bike...

Soldato
Autumn Epic completed. It hurt. Will do a more indeph write up when I get time. Somehow I was second rider back on the 80 mile course! Only walked 3 times, once when a I lost traction on a wet ramp with leaves on, then twice on 1 hill (Glascwm) which was just a wall at that stage.

Good work Roady - real mixed bag of weather our way on Sunday, so I expect it was a tough day out. Did I see a mention that was the last year of it? Probably just as well I didn't get round to entering as an hour on the turbo on Sunday morning had me blowing.

I spent a relaxed hour or so on Sunday afternoon wrapping the bar tape on the winter / commuter. I've only had the frame 13 months now and it's almost, nearly rideable! Need to find some mudguards that fit and also get on with a pannier rack.

Soldato

https://www.strava.com/activities/2768128914

Who needs mountains when you have Mid-Wales! ;)
I'm not even going to begin to correct the poor grammar and typo's in that post lol. Can tell I'm tired!

Couple of pics from the finish:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_daw/48857871487/in/album-72157711230019088/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_daw/48857675951/in/album-72157711230019088/

Rode a section of the first half with this guy who came 1st in the 80: https://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_daw/48857871542/in/album-72157711230019088/

He was a machine, he'd ridden 40 miles there in the morning, doing the 80 mile sportive as he didn't fancy going around the dams, then was riding the 40 miles home to Shrewsbury afterwards. Such a strong rider, yet hardly seemed to be putting any effort in - like an express train, he just sat plugging away much of the time on the front of our little group into the early headwinds. Basic kit, basic alu bike and SPD pedals - so modest too it really was an eye opener into letting your legs do the talking!

The Sportive itself was amazingly signposted, supported and organised. Great food stops too! Such a shame it's the last year of it (on it's 15th anniversary) - due to the low numbers. Results sheet shows 122 riders.

Winds where constant with much of the first 10 miles into a blustery headwind. We expected it and where thankful it was on the run out. As riders where set off 3-4 minutes apart in groups of around 20, although we where meant to be 'matched' to groups of similar ability there was wide variation and riders split all over the route. We settled in early with a group of 4 guys from Merthyr (seemed to be loads of Merthyr.cc club riding!) but as the roads got a little more grippy we lost them as they eased for one of their number. Steve and I did some chasing but could barely see anyone up front. We got caught soon after by a group of 4, playing a bit of leapfrog with them but as soon as through Felindre we'd all settled down. Here is where some of the chasing had hurt me so I settled in and just followed wheels a while. The first of the 7 climbs was here and to stretch the legs through some switchbacks felt good, but once past the tree line the exposed hilltop was brutal cross-headwinds. The descent down from the top we'd been warned about as it terminates on an incline onto a main road. The amount of gravel and washed out mud on the roads it was very tricky and I was glad of my disc brakes! :eek:

The next climb was more of a series of drags, but I was actually looking forwards to as I knew there where fantastic views from the top, I put some efforts into holding the group. Although we'd changed direction away from the headwind things where very gusty. It was around this point we got caught with a couple of light showers or just tail ends of passing weather systems from the valleys to our either side. The roads where soaked in places with several sections of freshly cut hedgerows. We where lucky to avoid any incidents with debris, narrow roads and a few oncoming cars. Most where very understanding and stopped for us - but I dread to think how annoyed they would be further back with more riders! Annoyingly, although pretty good the view was not as spectacular as I remembered... :D

Before we knew it we where in Abbeycwmhir. A little disappointingly the route didn't take us through the middle of the village as it's quite incredible where it is considering its historical significance, tucked between some massive hills with forests all around. I can really see the appeal of the area from ages and people long gone... Mike Hall actually settled here and I can imagine him thriving with some of the roads around there being fantastic training for TCR and remote self supported riding. A little distracted by the scenery I realised we where starting another drag. Hill #3 was a monster! It went up, then up some more, then more again, literally up along a hillside as far as the eye could see. Incredible climb but oh so brutal, it was relentless and due to the curving hillside you had nothing to target as the summit. A complete grind. I passed loads of people stopped on this one, just all totally blown/lost traction/lost motivation. Things gradually straightened towards the top, with a brief respite before the final ramp of road vanished into darkened woodland. The decent was a much easier elongated gradient affair into Rhayader. We reached our first food stop, absolutely gutted there where no hot drinks as we really wanted them at that point! The fantastic selection of cakes and fruit did somewhat make up for things...

We said goodbye to a couple of our riding buddies as a stones throw from the feed the routes split. Steve and I where left alone again and really settled into a series of meandering back roads following the opposite side of the valley & river to main road. It was classic backroads with lots of undulation, high hedgerows and no cars. Bliss! We passed a group of MTB riders who we decided where fresh and had only just set out from Rhayader as they took quite a bit of effort to catch! We joined the main road and my extra cake had started to kick in. I put in some good extended efforts towing us towards Newbridge. 'Knowing' the roads (from 14+ years ago!) really meant I could push on and I started to feel good - slightly misleading but I think just having a flat and smooth main road was such a refreshing change I enjoyed it a little too much (as I'd find out soon enough)! We pulled in at Newbridge as the route we where following had an original food stop there but it didn't exist any longer... Whoops! Following the little cut through to Howey and our next climb there where a couple of ramps which really stung us. Both of us close to walking a couple of times... It didn't bode well as I knew the next climb was a brute (having worked at the base of it and driving over it for many years!). :eek:

Climb #4. Parkstile did not disappoint. Utterly brutal! Just over the really steep 20% middle ramp towards a corner I lost traction and had to put a foot down. I had to walk to the corner to be able to remount and it was just a slog then to the top. Our second food stop was where on an exposed hillside, a selection of sandwiches, cheesy rolls where superb but a cheese & ham bap with salt&pepper on the top was sublime! The savoury at that stage really woke us up. We probably stayed there chatting to the organiser than we should've and got quite cold, we where riders 2 & 3 through the stop and we knew who was #1. Felt good that even with our struggles we where making good progress and nobody had overtaken us with our detour at Newbridge! After the food stop we enjoyed the descent, Steve the 'Sheep Cowboy' used his sixguns to keep the sheep away (common land). Passing through Hundred House and the next backroad through Cregrina we tried to settle in as we know the undulating roads would take their toll. The pre-climbs towards #5 hurt. We sat and spun them, with the dread of Glascwm looming over us.

Climb #5. Glascwm. I'd totally forgotten this until I saw it, I then remembered almost getting stuck there during the winter in a van many years ago. I'm not going to lie, I'm slightly disappointed I had to stop twice on this one, although also not too much as it had been built as the 'main' climb which hardly anyone gets up at that stage. It was spectacularly overwhelming to see it stretching up in front of you! I must revisit. There's no reason why I can't get up it when I can do Arthurs Stone. It was insane to even put a big effort into it and I know my second stop was due to this - I just knew there was more to come, so needed to save something rather than grinding it out at <50rpm stood. Far too soon afterwards we hit Climb #6. Newchurch. Stupid thing was I knew this one (one of my Grandparents is originally from there) but it felt so good to be back on a 'main' road (only a B road!) and heading towards civilisation it half caught me out by it's steepness and length. Thankfully it was a much lower gradient and we just settled into a seated paced effort on it. Same as the effort out of Gladestry. Seated paced lower cadence not-quite-grinds. We reached a point where the sun was nice and warm so stopped for a couple of bites to eat and equipment tweaks. My RD needed some indexing, the amount of filth we'd ridden through really hadn't helped and the chain rub with all the low speed & low cadence grinding was getting annoying. Stripped off long fingered gloves and confirmed an earlier realisation - I'd left my short fingered in the car, doh! :rolleyes:

I was around 'home' roads at this point and did some long turns on the front, even started to smash a slight climb at Stanner Rocks but had to reel myself in as we where still a fair stretch from the finish. Good run past Knill and into Presteigne, annoyingly with a massive lake across the road at one point around a corner which I must have hit at nearly 20mph. My mostly dry feet where no more! At Presteigne we turned into a block headwind. Steve did some good pulling at this point and I was glad, able to recover a little for our final climb of the day. Norton/Dolley Green/Cwm-Whitton. We knew it was coming but that didn't help much. We knew the final Climb #7 was a long monstrous grind. It's actually a 2 part grind, but the lower section of ever increasing gradient just saps much of any reserves you have, so once through Norton and the climb up to Cwm-Whitton begins properly you are really at your limit. Steve dropped back at this point and I just sat, grinding out pedal strokes. I was quite glad not to stand at this point, able to keep my cadence quite smooth seated and just churn it out. There was no way I was setting any PR's this time. The descent down to Knighton was extremely welcome and a good fun finish to the ride! Although I did nearly get wiped out 0.1 miles from the finish when a car coming the other way cut the corner on a junction! :p:rolleyes::mad::eek::confused::D

Autumn Epic? 15 years running? Completed it mate. :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Good work Roady - real mixed bag of weather our way on Sunday, so I expect it was a tough day out. Did I see a mention that was the last year of it? Probably just as well I didn't get round to entering as an hour on the turbo on Sunday morning had me blowing.

I spent a relaxed hour or so on Sunday afternoon wrapping the bar tape on the winter / commuter. I've only had the frame 13 months now and it's almost, nearly rideable! Need to find some mudguards that fit and also get on with a pannier rack.
Yeah last year of it after 15 years, the organiser just said the last couple of years the numbers had really dropped off. In 2007 he had over 300 riders, but the last few it was less than 150 so really hard to justify it and cover costs.

Weather was really mixed here too, although loads better than forecast. There had been quite a lot of rain/storms overnight and there where places with lots of standing water. Probably 3-4 'lakes' across the roads deeper than rim depth and many more covering part of the carriageway we where able to mostly avoid. We caught the tail end of showers 5-6 times, not enough to consider putting the packable raincape on, but enough to feel 'damp' for a while afterwards. Couple that with the constant headwinds/crosswinds it really made things feel autumnal and cool for the first 3-4 hours. No more than 8-9 degrees 'feel'. The sun came out a couple of times early on but with the winds things didn't really warm up till around midday. After around the 50 mile marker the roads where dry, there had been less rain there overnight and the sun came out a number of times, I really only felt 'warm' the couple of times we got a tailwind or shelter from the winds with the sun on our backs up climbs. It wasn't until over 60 miles in that my hands where warm enough to take my full fingered gloves off so finished it glove-less, which felt strange as I'm nearly always in gloves (I'd realised earlier in the ride I'd left my other finger less gloves in the car). It was only around 13/14 degrees even when feeling warm with the sun on our backs. I quite enjoy temperatures like that - cool but not cold starts with only a slight rise, as I generally overdress preferring to be 'OK' early and hot later, than cold early and 'OK later. Although I do also really like the hot weather, some of my best/most enjoyable rides this year where on the hottest days.

Good work sorting the winter bike, what's clearance like for guards? I really rate the SKS Chromoplasts and Raceblades Longs, although I'm running metal full fitted Specialized guards on my Diverge.

Soldato
What PSI for a 80kg rider on 28s. I was thinking about 90 rear and 85 front?

Have been on 105 rear and 100 front on 23 which measure up at 25mm..

Had a bit of an end of season break and need to get riding again but only if it’s not raining!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm using 25mm GP5000 (actual 28.5mm) on 25mm Light Bicycle rims and weigh a peachy 90kg.

90psi F / 95psi R is more than enough and might even be a little too much.

A friend has a Canyon Endurance with 28mm GP5000 and weighs less than 80kg. He runs around 75psi F&R

Soldato
What PSI for a 80kg rider on 28s. I was thinking about 90 rear and 85 front?

Have been on 105 rear and 100 front on 23 which measure up at 25mm..

Had a bit of an end of season break and need to get riding again but only if it’s not raining!
At that weight I'd say no need to go higher than 80 psi. Depending on the rim width and tyres maybe even run the front as low as 65, with probably 70 on the rear being fine. Just see how it feels (anything will be extremely comfortable after 100 psi 23's!) :D

I ran 28mm GP4ksii's 28mm's at 60/70 F/R on my wider rims (21mm internal). Really comfortable but that did need topping up every week/10 days. If it got too low they would bottom out easily and I even scrubbed the sides of the rear doing so. I didn't really rate the GP4ksii's at that size due to that and they seemed too soft, the Mitchelin pro4e 28mm where better/harder/felt faster. I have one of the conti's now fitted to my older 19mm internal rim width rear wheel and ran it at 75 PSI for a couple of weeks recently and it seemed ok, not leaking much. Did find it quite hard and occasionally twitchy, but that was comparing it against 32mm tubeless running 60 psi on my wider rims. So probably a combination of hardness, narrower width tyres and rims rather than the tyre itself. I'm currently 77-79kg.

Last edited:
Soldato
i'm 88kg or so at the mo, often ride with a 6kg pannier and 28s on a wide rim (kinlin XR22)

70 front and 75 rear feels plenty firm enough.

for contrast i run my 23mm veloflex masters on narrow rims (open pro) at 110psi

Soldato
Front is 17.5mm internal and rear is 20mm. (Archtype and a Pacenti Forza). Will change the archtype when worn out as I know it’s not ideal.

New GP5000s now the price has come down on them a lot.

I’ll go down to 75/80 and start there!

Soldato
New GP5000s now the price has come down on them a lot.
A lot? How much have they dropped? Last time I looked they where crazily overpriced, but I was looking at Tubeless. My 'alternative' (my previous winter tyre - Specialized Roubaix Pro) ended up being so good and such great value I'm going to be hard pressed to justify changing them for anything. Even for the summer. <£30 for a 32mm tubeless tyre is crazily cheap.

Although I'd probably go with GP5000 tubeless in 28's on a summer bike (whenever that happens).

Soldato
Good work sorting the winter bike, what's clearance like for guards? I really rate the SKS Chromoplasts and Raceblades Longs, although I'm running metal full fitted Specialized guards on my Diverge.

Dolan claim 30mm tyres with 'guards, so the 28s I have fitted should give plenty of space. I've seen Bontrager do a set with adjustable stays/arms, though I'm not sure if they fit 28s. I've seen some good comments on the Kinesis Fend-Off set though they are £55

Last edited:
Soldato
A lot? How much have they dropped? Last time I looked they where crazily overpriced, but I was looking at Tubeless. My 'alternative' (my previous winter tyre - Specialized Roubaix Pro) ended up being so good and such great value I'm going to be hard pressed to justify changing them for anything. Even for the summer. <£30 for a 32mm tubeless tyre is crazily cheap.

Although I'd probably go with GP5000 tubeless in 28's on a summer bike (whenever that happens).

I’m on tubes still. £35-36 each now. I know when new out they were £50+.

The tubeless are a few quid more.

Soldato
Right who has some beefy shed/garage security? I would like to get some beefy chains and ground/wall anchors. Has anyone got this level of security currently?

Soldato
Pragmasis stuff is top notch. they'll do you a chain that meets sold secure's motorcycle diamond standard if you really want.

Plenty of thieves will just cut the frame though. The groupset etc is still of value to them, and doesnt have a frame number on

Soldato
Dolan claim 30mm tyres with 'guards, so the 28s I have fitted should give plenty of space. I've seen Bontrager do a set with adjustable stays/arms, though I'm not sure if they fit 28s. I've seen some good comments on the Kinesis Fend-Off set though they are £55
The adjustable Bontragers are good and I think they fit 28's, my friend rides them on his Domane but think he only had 25's at the weekend. I know he's got 28's and don't recall him saying any issue with the guards and them.

I know the PDW's where a good option when it came to full fitted guards and I nearly went that route before the Specialized PNP's - although a well executed metal guard, they are really not 'Plug n Play' - for me additional drilling of mounting holes to get better coverage & cutting of tough metal stays to clear downtube is not 'plug and play'! But they're very stiff and firm, so very little noise/movement from them. I'd imagine the Fend off (& PDW) are similarly sturdy. I'm a convert to 'full' guards now, but I'll admit they can be heavy while also a right fiddle to remove & refit. I only took mine off twice this summer, admittedly one of those times they stayed off for 4-5 weeks. You do pay for metal guards and the quality they offer. I previously fitted the much cheaper SKS Chromopasts (or where they Bluemels), great almost-as-good coverage, just as much fiddling (if not more due to my frame), but too much flex so quite noisy. Still fantastic for the money and amazing support. I'd happily go SKS if I could for metal guards too.

I’m on tubes still. £35-36 each now. I know when new out they were £50+.

The tubeless are a few quid more.
Yeah prices have dropped quite a bit. Good!

Using Sigma as an example
GP 5000 32mm: standard £37 tubeless £45
GP 5000 28mm: standard £37 tubeless £47
GP 5000 25mm: standard £36 tubeless £44

So Tubeless at the moment is around £8-10 more expensive. Still under £50 is a good drop as they where £60/70 when I looked last!

Back
Top Bottom