Creative X3 and Theater Headphones with X-fi

Soldato
Had one of these ordered then cancelled it when I saw there was no game/voice chat mix on PS4. Also, a comment on reddit from Creative said to 'hold tight' regarding this feature which made me think a new product was coming (or maybe an update to functionality on the G6?).
X3 naming certainly hints to mainstream/at best mid level positioning in product stack.
(SB X1 is very low end model and SB X7 very expensive product)
So maybe there will be like X5 with high end DAC and headphone output to match Sound BlasterX G5/G6.

Associate
X3 naming certainly hints to mainstream/at best mid level positioning in product stack.
(SB X1 is very low end model and SB X7 very expensive product)
So maybe there will be like X5 with high end DAC and headphone output to match Sound BlasterX G5/G6.

Fingers crossed it is something like that - complete with the mobile app connection to adjust volume/eq etc as per the new X3. That would be perfect then :)

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OP
SB Z has average level headphone output with ~2V max voltage and mediocre output current/power.
So that's not good for demanding headphones.
SBX AE-5 again has proper headphone output, with fair 5V max voltage and 200mW level power output.
(that's twice the max power rating of Beyer DT770-990 drivers)
SB X3 seems like it might fall in between.
Would expect current handling to be better than in old SB Z, but max output voltage is specced for 2.9V.

Without actual measurements wouldn't put much value for those claims of something being better than other.
Because Fiio could be for example changing frequency response and boosting bass, which is all what's needed to fool results.
Human ear is just lousy for measuring signal for any kind accuracy.
Binaural cues is the only thing our hearing system can actually analyze properly. Anything else is total crapshoot and further very easily biased.
(hence any actual sound quality testing should be done as blind testing)

As an example once had chance to test Turd Beach Z60 gaming headphones.
Didn't expect much, but when starting with music they were better than I expected giving "agressive front row feeling" with rock.
But then binaural sound with game recordings and movies... (insert facepalm smilie here)
That sounded figuratively like having head in bucket under water!

Good to know, I could definatly hear a nice difference between my Z and AE5 with pure direct mode, X3 is tempting but it does feel something with more power and size is needed and hopefully they add X-fi support.

Permabanned
I cant seem to find it, I am sure I did not dream it and know Logitech did it recently but it is possible I misread or read misinformation about the existing customers 15% discount (after providing existing products serial number).
there is a trade old creative cards offer ?

I can't see that on their site do you have the link please ?

I cant seem to find it, I am sure I did not dream it and know Logitech did it recently but it is possible I misread or read misinformation about the existing customers 15% discount (after providing existing products serial number).

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OP

There is a premium membership club with the ability to trade your creative products but you need to order first to be premium club member, could have been that one I did a bit of faq and reading on their site but nothing as easy.

Think ill eventually have to bite down and order an X3, should do me fine till the next big thing arrives which is probably 5 minutes after.

Soldato
Ordered one yesterday, used the 15% discount code then the points i got from ordering my AE-9 with them and it came to £81.49 including delivery :)

Rude not too try one at that price.

Soldato
Ordered one yesterday, used the 15% discount code then the points i got from ordering my AE-9 with them and it came to £81.49 including delivery :)

Rude not too try one at that price.
Has yours been posted yet? I ordered yesterday and they have yet to post it, they sure do things slow there.

Soldato
Has yours been posted yet? I ordered yesterday and they have yet to post it, they sure do things slow there.

Got a text today from DHL at 19.30 saying that it's been despatched and should be here on Friday.

For some reason they never send you a despatch email.

Another strange thing they have not even requested a copy invoice of a previous purchase for the 15% off?

Soldato
Got a text today from DHL at 19.30 saying that it's been despatched and should be here on Friday.

Another strange thing they have not even requested a copy invoice of a previous purchase for the 15% off?

They didnt ask me for anything either, infact I had to email them as the serial number sticker on SB-Z has come off and they sent me a code without asking for any images or proof of purchase.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OP
I did some digging into this X-fi tech some reviews on ytube but it wasn't positive reviews, some said it has so much reverb could not tell what was going on in films and music others said it made gaming worse even. Some others said it was fantastic though and gave them a new listening experience.

Anyhow its still a new technology and a few reviews on ytube may not mean the full thing, but am intrigued with both you guys thoughts if creative ever get it too you !

Soldato
IMG-0230.jpg

Landed today, wont have chance to try it out till tomorrow.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OP
Box looks great, nice to see with headphone amp written on front.

Mik must be chasing down the postman at this point, what did you select on creatives checkout page, biased shipping option ;)

Soldato
Mine arrived today, I've been playing around with it for a couple of hours and so far I'm very impressed with it. It looks and sounds fantastic although I'm not too sure about the X-fi yet, music is bloody horrible instruments all sound fantastic but vocals are just terrible that goes for any vocals in films etc, sound effects in games are amazing it really throws the sounds out, it blows you away when the content is right, Dolby atmos clips in youtube is just incredible. The headphone amp can power my 64 ohm cans to ear bleeding levels it starts to get ear bleeding at %60-%70 volume depending on content so I imagine it can drive much high ohm cans to ear bleeding levels if that's your thing.

You don't need to install the software if you don't want which is a big plus for me and the reason why I got this as Im sick of the lack of decent drivers for my D2x or soundblaster Z and constant sound problems after windows 10 update. You can do most things with the 4 buttons or use software on your phone to create equalizer profiles and you can set seperate profiles for speakers and headphone.
I attempted to tear it down but cant seem to get the top off its somehow attached to the volume knob and pot, there's a cover on on the volume knob that comes off but there's no screw under it, I'll have a closer look tomoz when I have more time. Anyhow I got the bottom and back off and could see inside its filled with nichicon fine gold caps and a row across the entire PCB of what looks like those high end expensive SMD tantalum caps.

Right mark results

Its a fantastic amp/dac and at £100 its a bargain.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OP
Cheers Mik, I did have a feeling the xfi maybe bit raw its still early days I guess. Sounds like they put high quality caps in them and the power is more then enough.

Actually speaking of power does it power off usb and power cable I take it ?

Is there a button or option to give that pure direct mode also ? The one that bypasses all the equalizer and sound profiles and just high quality clean sound mode that is, you may that performs the best I found it did with my AE5 for music and films at least.

Soldato
Yeah it has a direct sound mode. I'm still not sure about the X-fi as I said with the right content its incredible, I've just trying listening to some atmospheric sounds on youtube and its amazing, the sounds of walking through the woods or a thunderstorm its not like having headphones on, hopefully with more software/firmware updates they will improve it.
Yep its USB powered, one problem I've just notice it doesn't power down when you turn off your PC, I suppose it has to work this way for device compatibility. Im going to stick a 5v relay in the USB cable and wire the coil to the 5v on a molex so it turns on and off automatically. I might put a headphone out on the back as well when I get it open and a rocker switch on the side so I dont have to plug the headphones in and out.

Edit dont need to mod it, if you hold down the X-fi button it switches from speakers to headphones.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I think I read it has BlueTooth as you can connect to your phone and change settings if you do not install the software on PC but can it transmit so you connect a set of headphones?

Soldato
I think I read it has BlueTooth as you can connect to your phone and change settings if you do not install the software on PC but can it transmit so you connect a set of headphones?

I think you can stream music to it from a phone but I'm not sure, is that what you mean?

Back
Top Bottom