Road Cycling

Soldato
That is an absolute joke. And BC & CTT wonder why nobody takes them seriously. Hilarious! But I guess they're only really on par with ASO.

Remind me again why you ride for an english team? I don't see many of your rides below the border, never mind your races.

None of the clubs about here have many racers. No serious time trialists and nobody certainly who travels to even Scottish national events. So I joined a race team instead when my former coach was starting it up. Where they are registered or "based" was of no relevance to me.
I do vast majority of training on my own or the lads I do ride with are not aligned to any club up here either anyway. So being on a local north of Scotland club makes absolutely no sense for me. I'd probably actually be best off being unattached but then there are other silly rules that make that a nuisance as well.

Soldato
Total shambles mate.
It's not as bad as the North Scottish.... I won it and watched my gold medal go to some lad that finished in 5th place overall.

I live, work, train, race in the North of Scotland. But due to my team not being reg'd there I am not eligible to win the event. Yet, if someone lives, trains and races in London was registered to a North club, they could win the North Champs....

Same thing at CTT district champs. It's done on club and not nationality or residency. Which is utterly stupid. So as you see, the lad who won doesn't actually win. And the lad (me) that was told he was 3rd actually can't be 3rd because despite being born and bred Scottish he rides for an English team.

Then at the Scottish Cycling national yesterday, a junior won it by a country mile and set a new course record.... but he cannot win, because the junior category is not a championship category. So the "winner" and national champion of Scotland actually finished 2nd......

Your North Scotland Champ is a guy that came 5th.
Your CTT ditrict champ is a guy who came 2nd.
Your Scottish National Champ is a guy who came 2nd.

The most hilarious thing about all this summed up? Sock length checks and the comm getting proper arsey yesterday about riders not wearing club kit on the podium because it's not good for the image of the sport.... HAHAHAHAHA. give me strength min!!!

Ah the blazer brigade. If you're from Scotland you should win the national title. So **** if he's a junior, he still beat all the other people on the day. Wee man could go places but this could put him off for sure.

I saw the drama on Facebook regarding helmets, it's not a rule but it is a rule as we'll all shun you. Shunnnnnn the none believer.
Can I just check that all shimano 11 speed derailleurs are compatible with shifters irrelevant of the generation ie r8000 derailleur on an RS785 shifter should be fine?

That will work fine mate.

Soldato
Jumped back into my usual go-to in the stinky weather, Sunday mornings Zwift 3R 100km.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2784729267

Always a good solid 2.5 hour workout for me. I tend to ride as a keeper so it's hard threshold intervals with lots of base. Seems to do wonders for my fitness, especially when it's as tough as yesterdays... Some Zwift engine tweaks caused lots of gaps and drops! Ouch! :D

Soldato
That is an absolute joke. And BC & CTT wonder why nobody takes them seriously. Hilarious!

It seems fair enough to me. These things take money and effort so if you're not a member of a club contributing towards running a competition then you're not eligible to win that competition.

(but juniors not being able to win because of their category is a separate issue)

Last edited:
Soldato
It seems fair enough to me. These things take money and effort so if you're not a member of a club contributing towards running a competition then you're not eligible to win that competition.

(but juniors not being able to win because of their category is a separate issue)

That is a totally mental attitude!

I pay my dues to a team reg in a CTT district who pay their money to CTT. IT shouldn't matter a jot where that team is reg'd, their money is going to CTT's pot.

Unattached riders who want nothing to do with any of this cannot win a competition at all because they are not "contributing" is what you are saying also? Everyone is contributing by paying their entry fee to the event they are trying to win.

So I pay my money to my club which is registered with CTT. So I am contributing.
I pay my money to enter the event which goes to the organiser. I am contributing to the event.

Another note:
Welsh champs HC, under CTT. Wales a district like Scotland.
Andrew feather won. IS NOT Welsh. Is not in a Welsh club. Is Welsh National Champ, got the gold medal.
Ed Laverack 2nd. IS Welsh. Is not in a Welsh club. Got silver medal.
Dan Evans 3rd. IS Welsh. Is not in a Welsh club. Got bronze medal.

The rules are not aligned and are not being adhered to with nobody knowing what the hell is going on.

Soldato
One part of it is that it's a joke that the rules are obviously being interpreted differently by different event organisers within CTT of the different regions, without CTT themselves getting involved.

For the event in question, just make it 'easy' to understand - winner of event on the day (fastest time), winner of region (fastest time from a rider registered as living in scotland), winner of regional teams (fastest time from a rider from a scottish registered team), winning junior. Obviously everyone has to be a 'paid' member of CTT and paid for the event...

Basically should have 'general'/official CTT rules and then region specific rules if they really want to be different. And they need to be announced before with everyone being aware of them before entering so at least people know where they stand before they start. Then let the backlash happen before the event to get the rules 'right' before everyone invests their time and money into it... Just makes CTT seem a joke and amateurish from those mostly outside of it (like me for example).

Last edited:
Soldato
As far as I'm aware, unattached riders can't even enter CTT competitions, nevermind win them?

There's more to "contributing" than just paying the subscription, it needs clubs/teams in the area to actually organise the races too. It seems to me like the rules are setup to try and promote clubs being active in their own area, which is a good thing. I can see why in some cases (like your's) it doesnt work that well but when the flip side is that there's no races to enter anymore because there's nobody left to organise them then I think the current setup is the best way to do it.

Soldato
I think that is all areas that need to be looked at, improved and established once basic things like rules are in place.
There is more chance of no events or people doing them if the rules are utter stupidity and then nobody understands them or enforces them in the same way.

On top of all I say above about this nonsense. The day before the CTT hill climb there was a massive debate on the facebook about wearing helmets..... under CTT there is no rule being broken if you DON'T wear a helmet. (bare with me, I wear a helmet in CTT, my belief is that everyone should!).... barely anyone down England wears helmets in hill climbs.
In Scotland it transpires that there is a unofficial gentlemans agreement that everyone will wear a helmet. BUT, if someone doesn't wear a helmet they are not actually breaking any rules.
The organiser then turned around and said it is his event and anyone not wearing a helmet will be DQ'd from the event.....

Another perfect example of rule books/governing bodies rules being chucked to side and interpretations taking placed based on opinion. It simply cannot stand to be manipulated and adhered to in the fashion it is now as we are seeing.

There was only 30 something riders in total at the CTT HC. 2 senior women! And no ******** wonder!

Soldato
Yes, I'd agree that whatever the rules are they should be applied evenly across all events.

Ironically, that was one of the main draws for a lot of riders of introducing CTT events in Scotland rather than running everything under BC: BC had loads of rules and regulations about bikes/kit (including sock length :p) compared to CTT.

Soldato
Roady,

When setting the tyre pressure I used the scientific squish test on a kerb at home, at 68psi the tyre deforms quite a lot when you put some weight on it, but not enough so that it would touch the rim (hopefully).

I didn’t want to go much lower and risk pinch flatting if I hit a pothole on a bunch ride.

Soldato
Soldato
How do you see? It says available in 170/172./175 in the product details?
Those details are just saying it's possible to get it in that size. Scroll further down the page and it's under Product Options. It is a bit confusing as I'm sure Evans usually have the options up to the right of the product photo where you click add to basket.

I think the BC discount is only available off the RRP too.

Soldato
Total shambles mate.
It's not as bad as the North Scottish.... I won it and watched my gold medal go to some lad that finished in 5th place overall.

I live, work, train, race in the North of Scotland. But due to my team not being reg'd there I am not eligible to win the event. Yet, if someone lives, trains and races in London was registered to a North club, they could win the North Champs....

Same thing at CTT district champs. It's done on club and not nationality or residency. Which is utterly stupid. So as you see, the lad who won doesn't actually win. And the lad (me) that was told he was 3rd actually can't be 3rd because despite being born and bred Scottish he rides for an English team.

Then at the Scottish Cycling national yesterday, a junior won it by a country mile and set a new course record.... but he cannot win, because the junior category is not a championship category. So the "winner" and national champion of Scotland actually finished 2nd......

Your North Scotland Champ is a guy that came 5th.
Your CTT ditrict champ is a guy who came 2nd.
Your Scottish National Champ is a guy who came 2nd.

The most hilarious thing about all this summed up? Sock length checks and the comm getting proper arsey yesterday about riders not wearing club kit on the podium because it's not good for the image of the sport.... HAHAHAHAHA. give me strength min!!!

It's decisions like that which help to keep racing a niche sport and in turn, the prize money virtually none existent relative to the amount of time and effort that is put in by individuals.

Soldato
The 'team' I ride for doesn't put a race on so I can't complain if spots in races go to local club members or guys in clubs that happen to put back in to the sport.

A team mate did put on a race but after a bad crash he got so much grief from the police and the lack of support/paperwork with BC stopped him doing it again.

I may actually join the club I ride with most these days as they put on a good race every year, have steady Sunday runs with good numbers and have a midweek TT.

Soldato
Those details are just saying it's possible to get it in that size. Scroll further down the page and it's under Product Options. It is a bit confusing as I'm sure Evans usually have the options up to the right of the product photo where you click add to basket.

Thanks. Wow, that's a long way down the page!

I think the BC discount is only available off the RRP too.

Not how it worked with Halfords and generally not how discounts work, surely?

Soldato
See I don't disagree with that, but if the 'Scottish Hill Climb Champion 2019' isn't the fastest rider up the climb during the event then it's an utter mockery. I get the rules could be interpreted so it's only a Scottish rider, only a Scottish Climb or only maybe even only a rider from a Scottish club. But those rules need to be understood and agreed by all beforehand.

Roady,

When setting the tyre pressure I used the scientific squish test on a kerb at home, at 68psi the tyre deforms quite a lot when you put some weight on it, but not enough so that it would touch the rim (hopefully).

I didn’t want to go much lower and risk pinch flatting if I hit a pothole on a bunch ride.
Damn, that's far more scientific than me! But then I'm running tubeless which is magic anyways.

Damn, that really is tucked away/hidden all the way down there! Sorry didn't spot that guys!

Thanks Shirley. :D

Soldato
Not how it worked with Halfords and generally not how discounts work, surely?
You'd hope so but it's becoming more and more common nowadays :(

In fact, it looks like Halfords are suggesting only off RRP too as it says no sale items. I know that mileage can vary with Halfords depending on who you get at the till though.

*Terms and conditions
• Discount is supplied to British Cycling members with a valid British Cycling Membership card and discount voucher.
• 10% off is valid on any cycling-related purchase, excludes gift vouchers and Halfords Autocentres.
• May not be used in conjunction with any other voucher.
• Discount cannot be used in conjunction with other instore promotions.
• Discount not applicable on sale items.
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/halfords-discounts

This is the terms for Evans:
Discount is only redeemable by British Cycling members with a valid membership card and QR code, which you may be asked to present upon purchase. Show your QR code in store or enter the text version online to get 10% off RRP on qualifying clothing, parts, accessories and Ride It events. We reserve the right to deactivate your code at any time.
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/m...-membership-static-Save-10--at-Evans-Cycles-0

Back
Top Bottom