TV Licence Super Thread

Caporegime
They buy a lot of the old stuff. Not sure about the more recent shows, probably only the big budget ones. The BBC don't really do comedy anymore but it's those which went global.

And no, it shouldn't be part of other taxes, it's is NOT a public service, it's a business. It should be a subscription service.

Ugh. Worst thing would for it to be paid for by taxes.
Let it die or modernise

Soldato
^^ but only if the device is not plugged into the mains.

Like, you can't take a TV around yer pals and plug that in... Or watch it on their plugged in computer. But you can watch it on your phone as long as it is not charging, or your laptop / tablet, again as long as it is not plugged in.

Realistically you are not going to get caught with a mobile device plugged into the mains... But 100% do not use someone else's computer at their home, they won't be covered and they will have no defence as the Internet provider will have records of it being used on that device.. Thanks snoopers charter! They won't even need a warrant to look at those records either.

Unless that computer is using VPN of course, blah.

Soldato
I moved in with my parents and cancelled my tv license but I've received an email saying because you're using iplayer, you need a license. My parents have a tv license.

Then you don't need a TV license as the household already has one.... You have triple checked they do actually have one right?

Your place at your parents is part of one household right? Not like an attached house onto theirs that has to pay a separate council tax etc?

Soldato

Like, you can't take a TV around yer pals and plug that in... Or watch it on their plugged in computer. But you can watch it on your phone as long as it is not charging, or your laptop / tablet, again as long as it is not plugged in.

Realistically you are not going to get caught with a mobile device plugged into the mains... But 100% do not use someone else's computer at their home, they won't be covered and they will have no defence as the Internet provider will have records of it being used on that device.. Thanks snoopers charter! They won't even need a warrant to look at those records either.

Surely though the BBC would have to ask every single isp every single address that doesn't have a licence? I can't see that being practical.

Soldato
The iPlayer team have no way of checking if you personally have a license.

Maybe you've entered your old address into your iPlayer account? Try changing it to your parents. Otherwise they're just fishing.

Caporegime

Why can't you watch it on their computer?

As in if I go to the pub or my mates house I can watch TV no issues on their TV. So why can't I watch TV on their computer?

Soldato
Why can't you watch it on their computer?

As in if I go to the pub or my mates house I can watch TV no issues on their TV. So why can't I watch TV on their computer?
He's talking about the scenario of watching under your own licence at another address that isn't licensed.

There's an odd clause, presumably drawn up in the days of those odd little battery powered portable TV things that says your own licence covers you away from home but only on devices that aren't plugged in to the mains.

If the other property has its own licence anyway it's all moot.

Soldato
The iPlayer team have no way of checking if you personally have a license.

Maybe you've entered your old address into your iPlayer account? Try changing it to your parents. Otherwise they're just fishing.

I use the BBC's own address on my iplayer account. With a VPN bouncing off London, GL to them :D

Soldato
Surely though the BBC would have to ask every single isp every single address that doesn't have a licence? I can't see that being practical.

Not saying they are looking at everyone's isp records, am saying don't leave easily accessible evidence that could be looked up if ever brought to court.

Also, what is not done today, might be done tomorrow.... Can you imagine how many folk might get flagged up if they did start trawling through every isp records? They are held for at least a year nowadays!

Back
Top Bottom