Anyone been on the ketogenic diet long term?

img

img

Associate
as a diet it seems to get good results but long term it's not the diet for me. I have tried it but living without pizza is not the life I can live with.

Soldato
I’m well annoyed with all you lot on keto saying you feel great, etc. I’ve just finished my two week plan of 20g or under of carbs and still feel like crap. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong (maybe not getting enough salt now I’ve given up my daily ready meals).
Sounds like a lack of electrolytes.

Associate
Tried keto twice but gave in after the 2nd day.

Got a couple of stone i want to lose and want to try giving keto another chance. How do you get through the 1st week?

Does upping your salt intake make a major difference?

Bought some Knorr stock pots last time but they are still lying there unopened

Soldato

Got a couple of stone i want to lose and want to try giving keto another chance. How do you get through the 1st week?

the first week eat to the keto plan, eat bigger portions if you’re hungry, don’t worry about weight loss, after the first week you should start feeling less hungry and satiated on less food, drink plenty of water, add some salt to food if you need to but don’t overdo it, remember if you’re normally very active you will feel drained faster on keto

Associate
the first week eat to the keto plan, eat bigger portions if you’re hungry, don’t worry about weight loss, after the first week you should start feeling less hungry and satiated on less food, drink plenty of water, add some salt to food if you need to but don’t overdo it, remember if you’re normally very active you will feel drained faster on keto

Do you think it's possible to lose 2 stone in 2 months in keto or is that a bit of an ask?

Would love to hit my target weight before Xmas and then will be able to enjoy myself during Xmas/new yr

Caporegime

This might be interesting re: salt - the dietitian in this article mentions it too - might be worth seeing a dietitian if you're going to pursue it or mentioning it to your GP next time you have an appointment.

https://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/0119p26.shtml

"People are getting into the hype of it," Ayesta says. "There are 'cults' in a certain sense that I'm not a fan of and not supportive of." Although he rarely suggests the ketogenic diet to clients, if they come to him wanting to try the diet, Ayesta first does a full nutrition assessment. This includes evaluating any comorbidities that might indicate the ketogenic diet isn't safe for them, such as individuals who are pregnant—there's a lack of research on the ketogenic diet during pregnancy—or have fat malabsorption. He also makes it clear that the ketogenic diet isn't the only way to lose weight. "I let them make the decision about whether to go on the diet," he says. "If they say yes, then I go into the education on how to correctly follow the diet."

When one of his clients does choose to do a ketogenic diet, Ayesta insists on seeing them weekly so he can monitor ketone levels, energy levels, and cognitive function. He says that when someone says they're doing the ketogenic diet, and they're doing it on their own or maybe seeing a coach once a month, they're probably not doing it correctly. "We commit to three months to give it a chance to work," he says, in part because he finds it takes at least a month to settle into the diet. "Many people do two to three weeks on their own, and give up because they feel like crap, or it's not formulated well, or they didn't give it time to work."

One frequent side effect when someone starts a ketogenic diet is the "keto flu," which can include lightheadedness, fatigue, headaches, nausea, and constipation. This is the result of the body's rapid excretion of sodium and fluids as carbohydrates are restricted. Increasing sodium by 1 g to 2 g per day may restore the body's levels to normal.

Volek agrees that many people who attempt to do a ketogenic diet on their own are missing the mark. "This is why it is important to measure ketones, preferably from a finger stick using a device that quantifies beta-hydroxybutyrate," Volek says. "People vary in terms of the level of carbohydrate and protein intake that is compatible with ketosis. Thus, regular ketone measurements provide valuable feedback to personalize the diet."

Also re: the unsubstantiated claims from the poster previously about this being the best for people who are weak willed - the above seems to give an example of what that might not necessarily be the case - "Many people do two to three weeks on their own, and give up because they feel like crap, or it's not formulated well, or they didn't give it time to work."

Caporegime
I’ve lost one stone in the four weeks I’ve been doing it. First fortnight, carb intake was about 70g per day and the last two weeks <20g. It has reduced each week though - 6lbs, 4lbs, 2lbs. So you might not make 2 stone in 2 months, definitely 1 I would think though.

Soldato
Do you think it's possible to lose 2 stone in 2 months in keto or is that a bit of an ask?

Would love to hit my target weight before Xmas and then will be able to enjoy myself during Xmas/new yr

it is possible on many diets if you eat less calories but you need to be quite extreme and cut down to very low calories per day

On low carb / keto I have lost 2 st in 2 months before but it takes a lot of discipline and will make you a bit miserable

Caporegime
I’ve lost one stone in the four weeks I’ve been doing it. First fortnight, carb intake was about 70g per day and the last two weeks <20g. It has reduced each week though - 6lbs, 4lbs, 2lbs. So you might not make 2 stone in 2 months, definitely 1 I would think though.

Combined with what? Hard excercise? or sitting playing CoD on xbox?

Soldato
as a diet it seems to get good results but long term it's not the diet for me. I have tried it but living without pizza is not the life I can live with.

Oh. Guess I didn't eat pizza on Saturday then :(

Ground almonds, grated mozzarella, cream cheese and egg properly combined makes a lovely (if a little greasy) base.

Associate
it is possible on many diets if you eat less calories but you need to be quite extreme and cut down to very low calories per day

On low carb / keto I have lost 2 st in 2 months before but it takes a lot of discipline and will make you a bit miserable

I'm going to give it another go. Maybe for 1st few days go very low carb and then keto. Maybe i have made the transition too fast.

Only problem i see is with alcohol. Like to have a drink twice a week. Have heard people say that alcohol calories do not matter as your body sees it as a toxin.

Soldato
I'm going to give it another go. Maybe for 1st few days go very low carb and then keto. Maybe i have made the transition too fast.

Only problem i see is with alcohol. Like to have a drink twice a week. Have heard people say that alcohol calories do not matter as your body sees it as a toxin.

edit

seems there are a few drinks that are ok on keto, you’ll have to google it to see what’s what

Associate
Been on keto for about 4 months, dropped just over 1 and a 1/2 stone, had ketoflu bad for 24 hours after about 4 days (diarrhea!), other than that all good. Tolerance to alcohol is pants, so I'm a real cheap date. Curry nights out with the boys continue, tandoori chicken and a couple G&T (slimline scwheppes) - no beer :(

Other than that I love it, no shortage of food to eat, never hungry, no bloating post food, no flatulence (I used to be bad with this, but literally like flicking a switch off). Only side effect is lower leg cramps at night, but water/pink himalayan salt have helped massively so just an electrolytic imbalance I guess?? Still happens but less frequent.

At the minute I have no desire to stop, but I'm almost at my weight goal, when I hit it I'm maybe slowly transition out of keto and introduce a small amount of carbs and see whats happens. I've not missed them.

I totally get this won't be everyone, but certainly worth a try.

Caporegime
^^^ that seems like a sensible way to do it perhaps - do it for the short term/weight loss etc.. then try to gradually transition back to a healthy balanced diet once at your goal.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Yeah, I did just make a drink of water and dissolved some Himalayan pink salt in to it. Feel a bit better.

Not the best for Keto but if you're finding yourself slumping then try it. Also make sure you're getting enough sunshine (get your vit d checked, or just pick up some supplements)
vC4OEGd.jpg

I currently only do Keto before holidays etc now to shed that excess chub, it's been easier helping my little one transition to adult meals when we all eat the same thing, so when I do I lose 1-1.5 stone in a week to 10 days. That's just the easy fat though, after that it becomes harder. 2 stone in 2 months is perfectly reasonable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom