Road Cycling

Soldato
Dire that, wasn't it? Luckily nobody seriously injured but the driver(s) that caused it sound like a right pair of knobbers.

Haven't heard much else other than no one had serious injuries, I think one of the GGCC guys is a cop and handled it well.

I'd probably have messed it all up by trying to put a Shimano SH11 cleat imprint in his temple.

Haha, nice effort towards home from a standing start though!

Hear much about the carnage or what actually happened?

@Jonny ///M found out where all your elevation comes from. Secret Tea Room stops. Must be some kinda 300ft high stairs there or something (switch analysis to Time and you'll see the ramp). Garmin elevation h4x! :D ;)

Had a weird commute home last night, taking it fairly easy as I'd felt flat most the week but seemed to suddenly have good legs from somewhere?! Couple of not massive kicks saw ~800W and I ramped up one flat part before a little drag without feeling like I was that deep. Wasn't planning on doing much this weekend due to the mixed weather and not feeling 100%, but now things are meant to be dry and I'm actually feeling ok I may try and get out somewhere (rather than the usual Sunday morning Zwift session).

I was probably a bit of a nob doing that but one of the guys is a pompous **** who nearly ended up in a ditch last year by moving up the inside in crosswinds. Think it was around a 400w effort going by the guys power meter haha.

You must have so much strength towing the chariot around, maybe it was inspiration for the GCN caravan segment they did???

Soldato
Nice morning for it, had a casual club run which was good as I’m still working back into it.

Feel bad though as the very few patches of water meant I sprayed everyone behind me, I was the only one without a winter bike/guards.

The weather turned and I had to do a 20 min TT solo effort home to avoid the rain. Felt pretty good but I’m sure I’ll pay for it tomorrow.

Soldato
Nice morning for it, had a casual club run which was good as I’m still working back into it.

Feel bad though as the very few patches of water meant I sprayed everyone behind me, I was the only one without a winter bike/guards.

The weather turned and I had to do a 20 min TT solo effort home to avoid the rain. Felt pretty good but I’m sure I’ll pay for it tomorrow.

It was a lovely morning for it indeed! I wouldn't worry about the spray, it's the opposite with me as most guys are on carbon race bikes right through winter.

Hope your legs aren't too tight this morning :D

I chanced asking to go meet bundy boys as they were passing near me rather than having to head miles away to meet them but it didn't fly with the mrs. We get a full day together every two weeks so I get her point.

Ended up cycling my newly fixed up MTB, for JustEat duties, 10 miles out to a cafe and back with the mrs on her hybrid. Was actually enjoyable just floating about.

20 miles in 2 hours isn't what I'm used to and speaking to the mother in law over dinner last night she was out with a group of women and averaged 10.5mph on the road bike for 50 miles. :o

Soldato
I nipped out Sunday morning - weather looked okay, so took the best bike. Short on mileage of late, so just 40km.

Was all going nicely until I came to a country lane that was just utter filth. I think the farmer had relocated the contents of the field to the road - that lovely noise as a muddy, gritty paste eats your drivetrain :mad:

Soldato
You must have so much strength towing the chariot around, maybe it was inspiration for the GCN caravan segment they did???
Haha I've still yet to watch that, saw it pop up but been distracted watching Rugby recently rather than any cycling...

The torque required to get the chariot up to speed and the 'drag' you get with any elevation sure is interesting: https://www.strava.com/activities/2792635223/analysis/954/1198

First part there is joining a cycle path at low speed, straight onto 2% climb. I tend to stand it to stretch out my legs - easy, paced effort then next is usually a standing start onto a 3% climb leaving the cycle path to rejoin the road. Good progressively harder effort. It's a rough road so I'll be hitting 400W+ just to get some momentum. 3rd and final peak is a 3% ramp I can kindof carry speed onto and what it can take to keep speed up - in this instance 400W+ just to not drop much lower than 13mph! Usually into a 75%+ of max effort. :cool:

Riding with a PWM as it really puts it into perspective, but once things are up to speed it's quite easy to ride at tempo chugging along at 15/16mph. I try not to go above 17mph (not meant to go above 15mph with it anyway!), but there's days with a tailwind I'll be zooming along at close to 20mph with similar effort.

Good to hear the guilt is real! :D

One of our local groups has now made riders without mudguards ride on the rear when the roads are wet. I'm a big supporter of it!

20 miles in 2 hours isn't what I'm used to and speaking to the mother in law over dinner last night she was out with a group of women and averaged 10.5mph on the road bike for 50 miles. :o
All I got from this was - lol your mother-in-law was faster than you yesterday. ;) :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well it had to happen eventually, I've been graciously granted permission to spend my own money on a set of race wheels. Maximum PO the finance department and CFO will allow is £1,000. Any recommendations?

"Race wheels" you say? "But platypus, you don't race!". You're right, I don't, but I'm doing an Ironman next year and want to go faster. Just the best all round set for that sort of money I guess. As I no longer live in the alpes :saddest_face: there's no point in pure climbing wheels.

Soldato
What 'competition' type wheels do you have already, what frames and what IM? Usual flat course type IM would push you towards as deep/aero as possible.

If you already have fairly fast (30/40mm+ deep) aero wheels then getting a rear disc instead could be a good option to get faster, if allowed/you think possible to ride on the course (general wind conditions etc)? Obviously you could also spend some of the money on aero equipment/testing/coaching, but that could also come out of a different PO/financial budget which you'll have to clear with the CFO.

Obviously a rider with your pedigree and experience will probably have chosen a mountainous IM, so really down to you, either as light as possible to climb easier or a combo wheelset with some aero for the descents too...

Hunt's are pretty hard to miss, well recommended and you generally get good value from them - whichever of the 'Carbon Aero Wide' wheels meets your criteria. £850 for either the 1500g 50mm deep, the 1477g 36/50mm deep or 1417g 36mm deep.

Soldato
Well it had to happen eventually, I've been graciously granted permission to spend my own money on a set of race wheels. Maximum PO the finance department and CFO will allow is £1,000. Any recommendations?

"Race wheels" you say? "But platypus, you don't race!". You're right, I don't, but I'm doing an Ironman next year and want to go faster. Just the best all round set for that sort of money I guess. As I no longer live in the alpes :saddest_face: there's no point in pure climbing wheels.

If you want Ironman go faster wheels it’s really hard to look beyond a set of Hed Jet 6+, you should be able to get a secondhand set within budget.

Caporegime
What 'competition' type wheels do you have already, what frames and what IM? Usual flat course type IM would push you towards as deep/aero as possible.

If you already have fairly fast (30/40mm+ deep) aero wheels then getting a rear disc instead could be a good option to get faster, if allowed/you think possible to ride on the course (general wind conditions etc)? Obviously you could also spend some of the money on aero equipment/testing/coaching, but that could also come out of a different PO/financial budget which you'll have to clear with the CFO.

Obviously a rider with your pedigree and experience will probably have chosen a mountainous IM, so really down to you, either as light as possible to climb easier or a combo wheelset with some aero for the descents too...

Hunt's are pretty hard to miss, well recommended and you generally get good value from them - whichever of the 'Carbon Aero Wide' wheels meets your criteria. £850 for either the 1500g 50mm deep, the 1477g 36/50mm deep or 1417g 36mm deep.
Nah its a flat fast course; not one I chose:
unRQTCv.png

I have some dura ace wheels but they're not deep profile, c24s. The HEDs look pretty good and review really well. Might have to keep an eye out for those.

Soldato
the difference between any decent aero wheel and the absolute best for any given depth is so marginal that unless you're chasing a podium place it's insignificant.

a disc on the rear looks awesome, sounds awesome and is fast. But it's not super practical for day to day use...

Soldato
Ah yeah, hmm. Well a QR, rim, shimano, 23mm size would be ok, cassette is probably going to be an 11-28 but that can change.

what do you have at the mo? if you're doing an ironman, learning to be comfortable on tribars for a long time is going to gain you more than any wheels

Soldato
Will these purely be for the ironman or will they be replacing the C24. Your quickest set will be a disc rear and something deep front, but for all round a set of HED Jet6s would be a great option as mentioned above. New then you're reduced in options and you'd probably be looking at something from Hunt or Prime, although if these are as quick as claimed is a different matter.

Caporegime
If I'm being realistic, they need to be a bit of an all rounder set. I'm no longer allowed to spend months of salary on bike stuff :(.

The HEDs look fantastic so I'm happy to look out for a set of those, may be able to somehow wangle a set new but not guaranteed so would at least have to consider other options.

Back
Top Bottom