First build in 8 long years -- £1100 budget

Man of Honour
so I'll probably touch base again for one final check before making the purchase.
from ocuk:
ryzen 3700x
Scythe SCMG-5100 Mugen 5 Rev.B PCGH edition
msi b450 mortar max matx
powercolor radeon RX 5700 XT dual fan
Kolink citadel Matx case
2x arctic cooling p14 pwm pst fans (not pwm pst co)

not from ocuk:
crucial ballistix LT 3200c16 2x8gb
sabrent rocket 1tb nvme ssd
evga supernova g3 650 gold modular psu

this is obviously the best value build :p
(better value if you swapped the 3700x for the 3600, but your budget allows for a 3700x)

Associate
OP
this is obviously the best value build :p
(better value if you swapped the 3700x for the 3600, but your budget allows for a 3700x)

The CPU heatsink you've suggested is out of stock :p

So if the case I'm buying already comes with fans, would I just replacing those with your suggested fans? Or would I be having them in addition to the original ones.

Man of Honour
The CPU heatsink you've suggested is out of stock :p
it's in stock. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5pcgh-mugen-5-pcgh-edition-cpu-cooler-hs-047-sy.html
it's the non-pcgh edition that's out of stock ;)

So if the case I'm buying already comes with fans, would I just replacing those with your suggested fans? Or would I be having them in addition to the original ones.
depends on what case it is. i've specifically specced those fans for that specific case (kolink citadel)

Associate
OP
it's in stock. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5pcgh-mugen-5-pcgh-edition-cpu-cooler-hs-047-sy.html
it's the non-pcgh edition that's out of stock ;)

depends on what case it is. i've specifically specced those fans for that specific case (kolink citadel)

Ah yeah, I looked at the wrong heatsink, my bad :rolleyes:

The case you've suggested comes with 2x 120mm fans pre-installed. I'm happy to get some extra if it would be beneficial, but just want to make sure I'd be putting them to good use (And in the most optimal place).

Man of Honour
The case you've suggested comes with 2x 120mm fans pre-installed. I'm happy to get some extra if it would be beneficial, but just want to make sure I'd be putting them to good use (And in the most optimal place).
yeah, mount the 2x140mm fans (the arctic p14) at the front as intakes.
leave the stock 120mm rear exhaust fan as it is
the extra 120mm fan that was originally at the front can become an extra exhaust on one of the top fan mounts - or just leave it out as an extra if only having one top mounted fan grinds your ocd (it would for me lol)
don't really need more than 3 decent fans

Associate
OP
yeah, mount the 2x140mm fans (the arctic p14) at the front as intakes.
leave the stock 120mm rear exhaust fan as it is
the extra 120mm fan that was originally at the front can become an extra exhaust on one of the top fan mounts - or just leave it out as an extra if only having one top mounted fan grinds your ocd (it would for me lol)
don't really need more than 3 decent fans

Alright, I'll probably see what the 1 on top looks like and whether I can deal with it being there or not.

Total build cost is coming out to about £1150.00 with your recommendations, which is roughly inline with what I was budgeting anyway. I wasn't originally planning on getting the CPU cooler, is it really that bad if I skipped it?

Associate
OP
not really.
the stock amd cooler isn't bad by any means.
if you needed to save the £50, i'd drop the arctic p14 fans and the scythe cooler

or can opt for a cheaper cooler: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arct...duo-white-cpu-cooler-2-x-120mm-hs-074-ar.html

I think I'm just biased as I've not used one for 8 years so far. No harm in getting one I guess if it'll help in the long run.

Edit: What type of monitor would be a good match for the PC I'll be building? I wouldn't be getting it just yet, but a few thoughts on what to look for would be helpful.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
With regards to my previous post, my current 'main' monitor is a Asus VN247H 24". My 2nd monitor is just some old Acer X193W.

Not even sure how long I've had that 2nd monitor for :D

Associate
OP
best value = aoc q3279vwfd8
best performance at decent value = dell s2719dgf

First option is definitely at the price point I was leaning towards but I'm not sure I really have the space for a 32". I'm sat relatively close to my current monitor as it is, don't think I could handle the size increase at this range.

I've see elsewhere some suggestion of a 24" 1080p at 144hz, although monitors is typically something I've got no real knowledge about.

Man of Honour
First option is definitely at the price point I was leaning towards but I'm not sure I really have the space for a 32". I'm sat relatively close to my current monitor as it is, don't think I could handle the size increase at this range.
i've got 2 of these lol.

@Plec @orbitalwalsh @Journey @an0nym0us

this is why 32 gb ram is good...lol
CSL with 570k pop and ffxiv run side-by-side :D
z6bTXhy.png

i wouldn't recommend something i wouldn't use.

Associate
OP
i've got 2 of these lol.

i wouldn't recommend something i wouldn't use.

Haha, I just genuinely don't know if I've got enough space on my desk for a 32" :p

Might have to get the ol' measuring tape and some cardboard out to see how it 'feels' in front of me.

Man of Honour
32 inch screen is about 65cm wide
it's honestly not that massive (that what she said?)
gives decent immersion as well due to the width - yes i know an ultrawide 21:9 screen would be better - but they're also much more expensive

Associate
OP
So it turns out that it would fit perfectly on my desk. Might hold fire on buying it for now and wait closer to Christmas for the monitor.

Soldato
Black Friday is at the end of November (the 29th I think?), there might be a good deal on it then, if not the Christmas/Jan sales are a probable price drop.

Associate
OP
So I'm gonna be ordering on Tuesday, maybe Wednesday at the latest.

So far, I've decided on the following:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £844.58 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Not from OCUK:
Sabrent 1TB Rocket M.2 SSD
Crucial Ballistic Sport LT 3200MHz 2x8GB

My only issue right now is that the Corsair RM750 and the EVGA SuperNOVA 650G3 PSUs that I've been looking at are both out of stock. I suppose that's what I get for waiting so long to order. Both options were going to cost me around £85-£90, depending on which one I went for.

Can anyone recommend some decent alternatives?

Soldato
Here's some options:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £331.06 (includes shipping: £11.10)

The rainforest website is stocking the G3 650W for £85 at the moment.

I actually own the 650w Formula Gold myself and it's a fantastic PSU, it isn't modular however and the cables are quite long and a little unwieldy. The CM Masterwatt is more of a budget option, I'd personally spend a little more on a better quality unit like the other three I've listed. The Corsair has the best warranty of those listed.

Associate
OP
The G3 650W for £85.00 says it will be dispatched in 1-3 months, so I've kind of left that one to the wayside now. Is it worth going for the G3 750W at £95.00?

The RM650 is tempting for £89.99 is probably my next choice if the G3 750W isn't worth the cost.

I'm ideally going to keep it modular, otherwise I'd likely grab the 650W Formula Gold that you're using.

Back
Top Bottom