Road Cycling

Soldato
Help please - trying to find sensibly priced crank based pwm, found out my bike bb is SM-BB72-41. Ultegra 6800 presently.

Totally bamboozled on what I need to be looking for in terms of crank/spider so it'll fit my present bb and take the ultegra chainrings.

Any advice appreciated, I'm clueless :-/

/edit - budget £600 ish.

Soldato
Sooo.

I have permission to get a winter bike

From what I'm aware of price wise, I'd consider...
https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-malt-g1x-gravel-bike-frameset-2020-148101.html £300
https://www.merlincycles.com/shiman...rs505-flat-mount-calipers-11-speed-89846.html £160 with weekend promo 20% discount
https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-fc-rs510-chainset-11-speed-109014.html £65, saves a bit over 5800/7000, but https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CSSHOEMR7000/shimano-105-fc-r7000-11-speed-chainset is £89

PX have some other Shimano 105 bits at decent prices too.

If money wasn't so tight at the mo while trying to save for a house deposit, I'd be tempted to try this as a self build, as I have a spare set of thru axle wheels. It's not often that there's potential to make up a bike cheaper than getting an off-the-peg like that Boardman ADV8.9 linked to earlier, especially for a full hydraulic disc road/gravel bike.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Sooo.

I have permission to get a winter bike, which was unexpected. Budget is around £800. I have a few other parts I can use if needed, seatpost, stem, GXP 24mm ceramic BB. I have been working on the frame/fork being £400 so leaves £400 to finish it.

I will be using my current road wheels, so rim brake.

And it obviously it has to take full guards with a 28mm tyre.

I have gone straight to to Kinesis T3. Retailers give mixed information, but Kinesis say themselves that the carbon fork will take 28mm with guards. Does anyone have experience with this? Or recommend any other frames?

https://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Forks/Road/TRACER-15

Now initially I though oh I’ll just build it with Rival 22 speed, all my other bikes are Sram, I like how it works and I have never had problems.

Started to cost up and buying new would come in around £950ish. The shifters are £175 which is almost half the budget gone straight off!

Started again, pricing this time for 105 R7000 and it’s much cheaper, mostly the shifters, around £50 less straight off the bat, but then the mechs are £5-15 each. Cranks are less, it soon adds up to 100-150 less.

for the last 6 years i've ridden a T2 as my winter bike, my commuter and occasionally as a shopper(the T2 became the T3 when it got a tapered fork)

every single one of the probably near 18000 miles it's got on it were done with 28s and guards.

They're cracking bikes, really. They handle well and have a surprising turn of speed.

57mm drop brakes are needed though, Shimano R650 etc etc

edit: a mate of mine had a GF TI with that tracer fork. 28s and guards ok there too.

Soldato
Hard ride today around 100 miles but my Garmin decided to hang when leaving a cafe stop. Ended up starting a new ride so I don't think I've any chance of getting that data back!

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Hard ride today around 100 miles but my Garmin decided to hang when leaving a cafe stop. Ended up starting a new ride so I don't think I've any chance of getting that data back!
Mine went funny back when the clocks went forwards. Made sure to reset it following my ride today before turning off and no problems.

@Berger
Winstanleys have a 57cm kinesis T2 complete bike with tiagra 10 speed for £600

Good spot but I’ll need a 60cm (which is actually a 58cm TT). They are local to me along with Merlin but delivery is so quick most places.

The grey/orange colour looks the best but seems to be out of stock a lot of places.

Soldato
Mine went funny back when the clocks went forwards. Made sure to reset it following my ride today before turning off and no problems.

Good spot but I’ll need a 60cm (which is actually a 58cm TT). They are local to me along with Merlin but delivery is so quick most places.

The grey/orange colour looks the best but seems to be out of stock a lot of places.

Dolan RDX? I've almost finished building mine up for hack duties.

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-rdx-aluminium-frameset.html - £225 including headset and seatpost (£100 off at the moment). Sign up for the Dolan mailing list and they often send 10% discount codes out, though might not be able to stack them.

Frame takes 30mm tyres with guards. I got a set of Flinger F42 guards (same ones Dolan use on their factory builds) last week to put on mine , which has Mavic Aksium Disc wheels with 28mm tyres. Started to fit them on Saturday but had to stop as the bridge for rear mudguard was missing out the fixings kit.

Biggest moan I have on the frame is the front brake hose comes out on the inside of the fork, so needs a careful bend to get outside to the caliper.

Last edited:
Soldato
Failed to get out on the weekend, saturday was horrific here with still lots of flooding happening even today. Saturday was cold and windy too, sunday although the rain had stopped was a cold start but fantastic afternoon sun. Actually got some home/garage/outside chores done and was only in a long sleeve tshirt! Did my usual 100km sunday morning ride. Due to the clock change it did make the ride start @6.30am rather than 7.30. Just as well the little guy woke us up 4.55am. Fingers crossed he continues to get used to the change as this mornings was 5.45am although he woke up in the night 3-4 times for the first time in months. Teething a little now we think - rear molars. :o

Ed Laverack smashed the British champs hill climb. Don't think @xdcx could be bothered to make the journey down to Exeter so we're still without a British Champion in our number.

Help please - trying to find sensibly priced crank based pwm, found out my bike bb is SM-BB72-41. Ultegra 6800 presently.

Totally bamboozled on what I need to be looking for in terms of crank/spider so it'll fit my present bb and take the ultegra chainrings.

Any advice appreciated, I'm clueless :-/

/edit - budget £600 ish.
As crank arm isn't an option (I went that way from my chainrings and am really glad I did). When I was looking at crank/spider based I always ended up back at the Quarq Dzero. The one with the quarq cranks can be had in some superb deals and from all accounts the cranks are superb (heard them compared to SRAM Red). Lots of Tri guys seem to use them so quite a good S/H market on them. Really reliable unit.

Power2max NG ECO looked a superb option but they never really took off, so never really dropped in price to make them a valid option vs the Dzero. Only saw 1 or 2 of them ever pop up S/H.

Powertap P1 are another great option (powertap recently bought out by SRAM), some of them selling now for £300 S/H. They didn't drop much below 350/380 last season. SRAM will continue support/production but won't expect anything new from them this season as the P2 is quite new.

Great price! Really rate the 4iiii, really like mine! :cool:

#garminwoes

Although annoyingly my ELEMNT now has a 'bug' which seems so-far unreported on their forums. Once it reaches 'low battery' you get a bleep & warning to dismiss. If you don't dismiss it, it'll power off the device after 20 minutes of it on screen... Quite cool and it does flash it's lights the whole time so not quite sure how I 'forgot' to dismiss it... Ok so that's 'user error'. Now my actual bug - once the E gets into 'low power' it'll bleep and remind you (at a guess every half hour). If you charge it when the device is off it doesn't actually clear the 'low power' status... So future uses with lots of juice in the tank you'll still get the bleep & warning to dismiss approx every half an hour and if you miss it, it'll power itself off. Even though it has lots of charge. ARGH! :rolleyes:

Only way I've found to 'clear' the warning is to let it run down low enough to trigger again at around 20% battery (or whatever it is, 15% maybe?) , then charge it above that threshold with the device powered on. Annoying.

Dolan RDX? I've almost finished building mine up for hack duties.
You still not finished that?! Taking your time! ;)

I have a couple of those kinda bridges from various mudguard kits, let me know if you struggle and I can dig some out.

Soldato
You still not finished that?! Taking your time! ;)

I have a couple of those kinda bridges from various mudguard kits, let me know if you struggle and I can dig some out.

I know! Finish the guards, fit the pannier rack and that will just leave pedals and saddle to do.

Thanks for the offer - The eBay seller (High on Bikes) said they would post me one out. I also ordered an extra one from SJS bikes - see which turns up first.

Soldato
Ed Laverack smashed the British champs hill climb. Don't think @xdcx could be bothered to make the journey down to Exeter so we're still without a British Champion in our number.

Wee Welsh chap did alright. No idea what happened to Mr Feather to be honest.
1700VAM & 7w/kg. Untouchable silly numbers.

Work got in the way after 3 months worth of solid training and absolutely shagged it for me that 3 weeks running into the Scottish HC's. Worst timing possible..... I only got a 4th and 5th off 380watts at 61kg's in the two Scottish races and barely won the North Scottish.. I could have made the 60KG and 385w for Haytor off another fortnight but that would barely even scrape a top 10. Didn't see the point in the expense and massive amount of travelling to be at 90% as opposed to the 100% I could have been at if work didn't ruin everything in the run up :( So I spoke with organiser and gave up my spot as they were over sub'd anyway on entries.

I look forward to both the shock and horror that a random lad working 40+ hours a week can't get anywhere near the same level that a paid professional bike rider can :p :p

Soldato
#garminwoes

Although annoyingly my ELEMNT now has a 'bug' which seems so-far unreported on their forums. Once it reaches 'low battery' you get a bleep & warning to dismiss. If you don't dismiss it, it'll power off the device after 20 minutes of it on screen... Quite cool and it does flash it's lights the whole time so not quite sure how I 'forgot' to dismiss it... Ok so that's 'user error'. Now my actual bug - once the E gets into 'low power' it'll bleep and remind you (at a guess every half hour). If you charge it when the device is off it doesn't actually clear the 'low power' status... So future uses with lots of juice in the tank you'll still get the bleep & warning to dismiss approx every half an hour and if you miss it, it'll power itself off. Even though it has lots of charge. ARGH! :rolleyes:

Only way I've found to 'clear' the warning is to let it run down low enough to trigger again at around 20% battery (or whatever it is, 15% maybe?) , then charge it above that threshold with the device powered on. Annoying.

That does seem really annoying but also quite hard to develop for as a manufacturer to be honest!

Wee Welsh chap did alright. No idea what happened to Mr Feather to be honest.
1700VAM & 7w/kg. Untouchable silly numbers.

Work got in the way after 3 months worth of solid training and absolutely shagged it for me that 3 weeks running into the Scottish HC's. Worst timing possible..... I only got a 4th and 5th off 380watts at 61kg's in the two Scottish races and barely won the North Scottish.. I could have made the 60KG and 385w for Haytor off another fortnight but that would barely even scrape a top 10. Didn't see the point in the expense and massive amount of travelling to be at 90% as opposed to the 100% I could have been at if work didn't ruin everything in the run up :( So I spoke with organiser and gave up my spot as they were over sub'd anyway on entries.

I look forward to both the shock and horror that a random lad working 40+ hours a week can't get anywhere near the same level that a paid professional bike rider can :p :p

Yeah it's crap having to work full time isn't it?

Quite a few people are good because of what they can put in vs someone who can be as good as them on half the training.

Does anyone have a Fizik Arione or Antares lying around?

I'm still not sold on this Prologo Zero, feel like my gooch was in the ring with Mike Tyson when I set off yesterday.

I've no problems with sores or anything just feel where my arse sits on the saddle it isn't fully supported and doesn't lend itself to be comfy. I feel super strong riding on the nose but it isn't a position I'd keep for too long. Slide back to where the saddle is a bit wider and I feel I have to do big power low cadence efforts and the KOPS thing goes away to ****.

Soldato
I have an Arione, actually think I have 3 of the beggars.
  • An original which I think is an R5 with a massive crack/split in the shell, you're welcome to it to try the 'fit' (just cover postage). I rode it for several months like that.
  • A replacement which is whatever the cheapest Arione they do is. Pretty plain and I would say is not the 'same' as the other, better saddle. Certainly not as comfortable. Done a few hundred miles with some wear.
  • An Arione 'Open' which I had on the turbo for a while. Less than 100 hours max. Could never quite get on with it but it's in near pristine condition, but it is WHITE. Others are black.
I'll dig them out at some point this week and take some pics if you're interested. I won't have paid usual Fizik prices for any of them, so deals to be had! #salesman

Soldato
Kinesis discontinued the T3... not entirely sure why, the demand seems to be there.

Have I found every size online apart from a 60cm.. you bet.

They will only be doing the 4S disc from now on...

Soldato
I have an Arione, actually think I have 3 of the beggars.
  • An original which I think is an R5 with a massive crack/split in the shell, you're welcome to it to try the 'fit' (just cover postage). I rode it for several months like that.
  • A replacement which is whatever the cheapest Arione they do is. Pretty plain and I would say is not the 'same' as the other, better saddle. Certainly not as comfortable. Done a few hundred miles with some wear.
  • An Arione 'Open' which I had on the turbo for a while. Less than 100 hours max. Could never quite get on with it but it's in near pristine condition, but it is WHITE. Others are black.
I'll dig them out at some point this week and take some pics if you're interested. I won't have paid usual Fizik prices for any of them, so deals to be had! #salesman

I could give the first one a shot. My mate has an r5 he got straight off an aeroad and sitting on it in the carpark it feels comfier than the zero.

The R7 seems to be an OEM version that you can find on ebay, as is the R5 maybe.

Soldato
Just took a slightly bent bar off my bike. Probably explains why I've never been happy my shifters were in the same place.

Wasnt a big bend. Probably did it in a big crash I had two years ago

Back
Top Bottom