Remember remember sometime around the beginning of November

Associate
When I was a lad bonfire night happened on 5th November and apart from the odd rogue scrote the fireworks were set off on that night.

So why and when did it change that anytime from Halloween to mid November was Guy Fawkes time?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Diwali was last weekend so we did some then, and the kids know we have more left for bonfire night so keep asking every evening if we can do them so will do some more tomorrow if the weather is ok.

It's just one time of year you really get to enjoy fireworks so why just limit it to one day?

Although during the week before diwali I was having a fag outside and a group of lads come past having the most fun Roman candle fight, I wanted to join in. So tou also have the kids buying and using them simply because they are being sold for longer and more widely.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Because they're supposed to be in memory of/a reminder of one day.
Traditionally, yes. But no one cares about that nonsense from long ago anymore, people enjoy the fireworks themselves much more than the history.

Soldato
back in the day ,pretty much ,afew bangers used on mischeif night (im from yorkshire ) and the rest on the 5th
as a lad it was bangers ,air bomb repeaters and the odd rocket ,probably get a beating for lighting up a traffic light or a sparkler

Associate
OP
Traditionally, yes. But no one cares about that nonsense from long ago anymore, people enjoy the fireworks themselves much more than the history.

Christmas happens on the same day and that started over 2000 years ago.

At least when it was one day you knew when to hide away pets or give film night a miss.

Soldato
again back in the day we did care about British history ,thats why we had a guy on the fire and we would always have a history recap at school in the days before .
Definitely wasnt just firework night

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Christmas happens on the same day and that started over 2000 years ago.

At least when it was one day you knew when to hide away pets or give film night a miss.
Christmas is a bank holiday and has a religious backing so easy to respect the day. But I'm sure you didn't need me to identify the difference between the two.

again back in the day we did care about British history ,thats why we had a guy on the fire and we would always have a history recap at school in the days before .
Definitely wasnt just firework night
Yeh, but that was before the tamagotchi revolution - now there are so many other stories to tell as opposed to retelling learned history.

Soldato
When I was a lad bonfire night happened on 5th November and apart from the odd rogue scrote the fireworks were set off on that night.

So why and when did it change that anytime from Halloween to mid November was Guy Fawkes time?

It's the nearest weekend to the actual date. MTFU and stop being such a miserable sod.

Caporegime
It's the nearest weekend to the actual date. MTFU and stop being such a miserable sod.
Doesnt help my 2 year old sleep, regardless of how much I myself “man up”

:rolleyes:

If it was one night, you might let it slip, but its been a sodding week of non stop idiots.

Personally, I feel that consumer fireworks should be as close to silent as possible. You want bangs, go to a professional display that haven’t aimed the sodding mortars at my windows... yes two this year have hit the windows.

Caporegime
I think it's technically illegal to fire, uh, fireworks in NZ outside of a 3 day window in November. You certainly can't buy them.

Thanks for reading my story, share and subscribe if you want to know more.

Man of Honour
Remember when people used to make guys and burn them on bonfires? Haven’t seen that for decades and it sounds proper ‘Wicker man’ now!!

I've lived in Stafford full time since 2002, and we're pretty ok over here. Fireworks go off only on the 5th or give or take a day depending on which day the 5th falls on.

In year 2000, I spent a year in Bristol (Filton area) and fireworks were let off literally every day for a month, from around 15th Oct to 15th Nov.

Back
Top Bottom