Matched betting - who's done it and who's good at it? (No Referrals)

Soldato
Just a thought - if you tell - say - bet365 to delete all your data under the GDPR rules and then open another account if it is gubbed from the start then surely they haven't deleted all your data and you can get them fined?

Associate
edit - sorry, interesting re: your sharbing - did you work as an actual syndicate - like pooling money etc.. too or was it just sharing information?

No we each went with our own stakes according to our circumstances and kept our our profits. We had a WA group and password to gain access to the software which we could all update as and when we could get to the bookies and availability of coupons. Some times it was just a case of photocopying the coupon and uploading it asap (straight from the bookies). Thing was though the assisants got to know you pretty well cos you were putting on decent stakes rather than digging in your pockets for change like the majority of punters. In the end I didnt have enough local books to make it worthwhile the hassle of getting there in time to place the bets before the books pulled the odds and I had a wasted journey.

I thought an arb was just a discrepancy in odds between bookie and exchange creating a profitable solution for the punter. Dutching is covering all the possible outcomes of the race/match etc (like backing all horses in the race or backing win/lose/draw in footy). Sometimes adjusting the stakes so 2 of the outcomes result in break even leaving the preferred outcome with all the profit

Associate
Just a thought - if you tell - say - bet365 to delete all your data under the GDPR rules and then open another account if it is gubbed from the start then surely they haven't deleted all your data and you can get them fined?

Cant they keep your details for 5 years or something with inactive/closed accounts ? I have no accounts left so I just straight up gamble these days in the bookies and its a lot less time consuming or stressful. Annoying though cos dont get the free bet with one loss on my accas (which happens quite a lot and thanks Brentford this week )

Soldato
Thats not how GDPR works.
Companies are well within their rights to keep aspects of your data providing they have good reason for doing so, and i'm pretty sure what you described doing above is exactly why they would be keeping parts of your data.

Caporegime
I thought an arb was just a discrepancy in odds between bookie and exchange creating a profitable solution for the punter.

It can be the result of that or indeed between two or more bookies etc..

Dutching is covering all the possible outcomes of the race/match etc (like backing all horses in the race or backing win/lose/draw in footy). Sometimes adjusting the stakes so 2 of the outcomes result in break even leaving the preferred outcome with all the profit

No, Dutching is simply the method of backing more than one outcome so that the return (in the event of a win) is the same regardless of which of those outcome wins.

If you're adjusting the odds to favour one outcome as you described there then that isn't Dutching. You can make use of dutching to cover all outcomes (as per matched betting or arbitrage).

But could also just be using it to back two or more horses or back all selections apart from one in order to construct a lay - this is supposed to be where the term originate - a gangster called Dutch Schultz used to lay horses by backing the others:

https://www.goalprofits.com/what-is-dutching/
Firstly, Dutching has nothing whatsoever to do with the Netherlands!

The name comes from the Prohibition Era in the United States.

Al Capone's accountant, Dutch "Dutchy" Schultz developed the technique in order to lay horses, long before Betfair trading was available.

He would bet different amounts on a number of horses so that the profit would be the same, no matter which of his horses won the race.

Essentially, Dutchy Schultz was laying the horse (or horses) he didn't expect to win, by backing others in the same race which he thought had a better chance of coming home first.

Similar strategies are used today by horse racing traders, such as Dutching the first three favourites.

Another explanation here:

https://www.aceodds.com/what-is-dutching.html

Dutching is a method used to divide stake over a number of selections in an event so that the same amount is won regardless of which selection wins. This technique is useful when there are two or more outcomes you wish to back and have a specific amount to stake. Before the rise of betting exchanges, dutching was sometimes used as an elaborate way to lay (bet against) a selection by backing everything else.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thats not how GDPR works.
Companies are well within their rights to keep aspects of your data providing they have good reason for doing so, and i'm pretty sure what you described doing above is exactly why they would be keeping parts of your data.

Yep, however if you change your name by deed poll, have a different bank account/card and address, you might be able to set up anew.

Soldato
Going to get back into Matched betting when i get paid at the end of the month, Anything i should do before diving in again, i done 85% of the sign ups on the sports betting im guessing theres probably more thats been added, shall i do them?

very little around unless your willing to really grind for it. The best days are long gone. Money can still be made but not really on the signups any more.

Soldato
Ok so just starting out with this but i am a jt confused. Goal is to make 1-200 a month.

On smarkets i put £5 against Charlton(v preston). Initially this shows the return is 34.99 and a liability of 29.99. Ok, so when i go to place a bet its saying i have to bet 29.99 and not 5.
I go to sky bet and the odds on charlton to win are 5/1. So how could i make any profit in this example?

is it only viable with free bets? Over the years ive signed up with the majority of bookies so im screwed there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Difficult to make a guaranteed profit then without free bets.

That's the whole point of matched betting, it's quite fundamental.

You are trying to extract cash from the free bets, the hit you take on qualifying for a free bet is the QL.

I'd do some more reading as the last thing you want to do is lose out money by missing a key step.

Back
Top Bottom