And Lewis Hamilton matches Michael Schumacher's 7 titles!

Soldato
While far from a foregone conclusion, Hamilton has to be the favourite going in to 2020.

2021 onwards is where things will be more interesting but with Mercedes resources it's hard to rule them out.

Soldato
Yes.

Biggest team, biggest budget, best car. Why wouldn't he win again? His nearest rivals are a bunch of inept clowns. Red Bull are on their own in 3rd and everyone else might as well stay home.

Harsh, but fair.

If Mercedes have a competitive car in 2021, you’d be mad to bet against Hamilton being a regular podium visitor.

Ferrari need to fix their strategy and pit crew failings as they’ve cost themselves 2-3 potential victories this season.

Redbull just need a car that doesn’t give up 10-15 kph top speed to everyone else. This must be one of Verstappen’s key frustrations this year and fixing it will calm him down nicely. Albon will continue to be a good wingman/#2 driver as he’s secured his seat as far as I can see.

Associate
I really hope Hamilton surpasses the record. In my opinion, the biggest thing that taints Schumacher's record is that he seemed like he purposefully crashed into championship rivals in order to prevent them from scoring points. I don't think I've ever seen a hint of these types of actions from Hamilton.

Soldato
I really hope Hamilton surpasses the record. In my opinion, the biggest thing that taints Schumacher's record is that he seemed like he purposefully crashed into championship rivals in order to prevent them from scoring points. I don't think I've ever seen a hint of these types of actions from Hamilton.

When he took Hill out on purpose all those years ago it tainted him to many many English fans. There’s no doubt he was a great driver but the win at any cost was a bit much...

JRS

JRS

Soldato
When he took Hill out on purpose all those years ago it tainted him to many many English fans. There’s no doubt he was a great driver but the win at any cost was a bit much...

The Hill clash was way less egregious than the Villeneuve one in '97.

Every driver in vaguely recent history would have gone for the gap as Hill did (with the possible exception of Prost), and every one of those drivers including Prost would have turned in as Schumacher did.

Jerez '97...Schumacher deserved to lose that one simply for how ineptly he tried to take JV out ;)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'm going to lock this thread until the 2020 season, there is a lot of overlap with the 6 WDC thread.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Mental to think that bar for some silly errors in 2007 he could have been a rookie champion and the shenanigans with Nico and he could be already on 9 going on 10 :eek:

Permabanned
Wonder if he will ever leave Mercedes? Reckon he will retire before he goes to an uncompetitive team.

Suspect he will do 2 more years, 2021 he will be strong favourite for the WDC and will also break 100 poles/wins.... He will then have a crack at the new 2022 regs which either win or lose is a good time to call it a day.

Soldato
Suspect he will do 2 more years, 2021 he will be strong favourite for the WDC and will also break 100 poles/wins.... He will then have a crack at the new 2022 regs which either win or lose is a good time to call it a day.

Completely agree. His post race interview yesterday was very interesting as Hamilton still thinks he’s getting faster/smoother/smarter. Not good news for anyone else. WDC number 8 next year, break every remaining F1 record and walk away in 2022 if he’s not enjoying the new regs.

Soldato
I'm not a die hard LH fan and for many years thought it was a moaning child. However, the past few seasons he seems to have grown up.

From a 'is he the best' point of view, IMHO he is. He's a clean, fair driver that can pull a superb drive out of the bag when he needs to. Sure he's got 'the best' car and team, but look what he can do with it.

I'm hoping the next couple of years bring him more competition from MV and CL (and Lando and George if their cars improve).

Back
Top Bottom