This Business and Moment...

Caporegime
So interview was on Friday morning. Just found out from a colleague that someone else who went for the job found out on Friday evening they got the job and has told everyone. Near the end of the day Monday and Ive still not been told anything by my company. Seems a bit disrespectful I had to find out like that.

That sucks but that could be partly to do with not necessarily wanting to let the second/third choice candidates know right away in case the first choice doesn't actually accept.

Caporegime
Another consideration is that, being an internal candidate, they might want your manager to be informed and sit down with you and discuss career development etc...

Overall just rejecting you instantly as soon as they made the offer to the other candidate would be a bad way to handle it IMO. Make sure they've got the other candidate secured then also make sure they've got some feedback to give to you etc.. and perhaps whether a similar role might be available in the near future etc.. or even if they can create one for you if they also liked you and it was a close decision.

Also - if they don't do the above then take the initiative and make it happen yourself - drop your manager an e-mail and ask to schedule a meeting in the next week for both feedback from the interview and to discuss career development/what you can add and how you can progress. Be pro-active with this stuff if it isn't happening automatically.

Soldato
OP
I was told about not getting a role once being cc'd in the email discussing me not getting the job and could someone tell me lol this was after being mugged off for an answer for ages as well. Good job I had come to the conclusion I didn't want the role, but you know. Bit of a dick move.

Permabanned
Another consideration is that, being an internal candidate, they might want your manager to be informed and sit down with you and discuss career development etc...

Overall just rejecting you instantly as soon as they made the offer to the other candidate would be a bad way to handle it IMO. Make sure they've got the other candidate secured then also make sure they've got some feedback to give to you etc.. and perhaps whether a similar role might be available in the near future etc.. or even if they can create one for you if they also liked you and it was a close decision.

Also - if they don't do the above then take the initiative and make it happen yourself - drop your manager an e-mail and ask to schedule a meeting in the next week for both feedback from the interview and to discuss career development/what you can add and how you can progress. Be pro-active with this stuff if it isn't happening automatically.

o o o I like this way of thinking. Could have turned this into a positive thing very easily.

Soldato
OP
Just sent over some potential interview questions to Piers Linney from old Dragon's Den. I asked him if he would be interviewed on my YouTube and he asked me to send over the details of my questions and format etc. I've got about 4 different people lined up for the future, trying to get a real mix of people covering business, different social platforms such as youtube, instagram etc.

Anyone with any ideas or suggestions, let me know! I'm all ears.

Man of Honour
One of our systems hasn't been working correctly for a few days/weeks - numerous experts and time/money spent on it - some non-technical person figured out today that one of the key files had been named .html instead of the expected .htm (or might have been the other way around). LOL.

EDIT: From what I can make out instead of replacing the original file from an older version the old file with the correct name was still there while the new file had the wrong filename so it was still functioning but not producing the expected output.

Associate
EDIT: From what I can make out instead of replacing the original file from an older version the old file with the correct name was still there while the new file had the wrong filename so it was still functioning but not producing the expected output.

One of the easiest and first thing to learn is readimg/writing files. One of the first things to do if something is not working correctly is check to output - filepath, extension, timestamp etc.

I would be raging if anyone had been paid any money to solve this, and also raise concerns about developers obviously not understanding their system, knowing where to look, and qa/testing protocols/capability when something goes wrong.

Id try to find root cause, such as an update to environment or other software, and if it was scheduled by business, want to know why was there no communication

Man of Honour
One of the easiest and first thing to learn is readimg/writing files. One of the first things to do if something is not working correctly is check to output - filepath, extension, timestamp etc.

I would be raging if anyone had been paid any money to solve this, and also raise concerns about developers obviously not understanding their system, knowing where to look, and qa/testing protocols/capability when something goes wrong.

Id try to find root cause, such as an update to environment or other software, and if it was scheduled by business, want to know why was there no communication

I have little to no involvement with this side of things in this case but certainly raises some questions about the implementation protocols though. To be fair wasn't an easy one as it seemed to diagnose as the system was working - not throwing up an error about a missing file, etc. but not generating the output expected. Quite funny how someone with basically no IT knowledge actually discovered what the problem was.

Associate
To be fair wasn't an easy one as it seemed to diagnose as the system was working - not throwing up an error about a missing file, etc.
This should be dealt with by exception handling, a key requirement for all software, which would be another concern. Current owners may not be the developers though.

On a positive note, its been solved. Praise the person who found it and get the right person to document the lessons learned for future occurrences

Soldato
OP
Was asked to go to Monaco to meet the guy who owns Top Marques car show down there to discuss being a sponsor there. There and back in a day... did a little video of it:

Would be AMAZING to do. The press coverage is huge that you get (TV stuff, youtubers, big influencers, massive networking with some fantastic businesses for collaboration, and for customers) but now need to find some cash fast. I have about 2 months to try and fast raise about 50-75k... We haven't tried raising, but now it's a case of having an opportunity that will launch us extremely well, so need capital. I have been told I have no chance... so I'm going to do everything I can to prove everyone wrong.

Caporegime

Nice video! :)

I love Monaco - have done a bit of work down there in a previous job, we used to have a big meeting there too - clients loved it, even called one the day before and was told he'd gone home early to "pack for Monaco" - they used to get helicopters direct from the airport in Nice (you can even get one at that airport via uber now!). Expenses were always a bit $$$$ too (though I never had expenses to cover a helicopter unfortunately) - Antibes was really nice too - bigger yachts than Monaco even, used to always stay in France - there were some nice restaurants around there.

Just curious - how do you deal with the music etc.. on your youtube channel - is that some royalty free stuff?

Soldato
OP
Thanks! I would love to go back and see some of the place, that whole coast is amazingly beautiful. Might take the family and make it more than a day this time...

Music wise I use: www.musicbed.com which covers any music I want, but it's a paid subscription.

Tried with pure free stuff but it can still be a minefield with copyright.

Soldato
Anyone got tips for passing a post interview aptitude test? The interview went great but the next stage is meant to be very tough.

Back
Top Bottom