BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
Any views on the G20/21 M340i? I'm trying to get a test drive sorted but my local dealer says they are having difficulty getting hold of one in either shape. It would be a daily driver replacing my current F36 430d. Just fancied something with a little bit more character but don't really have the appetite for runing a proper M car. It's also the first car I've ever considered looking at in estate/touring form, I was very impressed with the showroom model I saw and the more practical boot is appealing. The only real sticking point for me at the moment is the price. Even with discounts its a lot of cash for a non M3.

Has anyone got one/driven one and if so what are your feelings on it?

I've got one - I've only had it about three weeks and so I'm still running it in, but it feels really quick even taking things easy, and the handling is great. I find the ride is good, it's reasonably firm but not at all uncomfortable, and is leagues ahead of an M135i I previously owned.
The tech is pretty amazing coming from an F10 530 d, and I'm still learning it all - the head up display is great, the Harmon Kardon stereo sounds excellent to me and so far I'm very pleased with it. I didn't want a 'full blown' M car as they're a bit too focused for me, and so this fitted the bill.

Mine was a stock car at Barretts BMW in Canterbury, black with comfort and technology packs.

Man of Honour
Be really interested to hear how you get on coming from the F10. I've always been a 5 series guy and hated the F30 but after a G20 320d loaner the M340 is a tempting next car instead of a G30.

Associate
I think they are going to be excellent bargains second hand, especially once the new M3 is available and its no longer the top of the pile. The practical part of me screams to wait and see especially since I own my car outright and have no deadline to change it. But..new shinies.

Having had 3 black cars in a row I've promised myself I'm not getting another one. They look epic when new and freshly cleaned/polished but mine have always looked grey and dusty about 5 minutes later!

Soldato
Fox can’t have one as they are xdrive only :p

I’ve driven one it’s very good, better than a 540i depends what you are looking for from a car. The 340 handles far better and feels light flicking it round corners. The 5 series is more refined and better built.

After driving one I decided to bin getting a 540 and will wait for a 340 Touring that has depreciated as above I think they will drop massively once the new M3/4 is out. As the options are now bundled in packs along with a generous standard spec it should be easy to get a well spec’d one.

Soldato
It isn't bespoke to the car, the same engine (S55) is in the M3 and M4, unlike the S65
The S65 was in the M3 & M3 Coupe....that's the same as the M3/M4, which you know very well! S55 was also purpose developed for the M3/M4...it's as bespoke an engine as any other M engine. It's based on the N55, but 25% of the components are completely new developments and much of the rest is significantly modified, e.g. new block (lighter, closed deck, coated cylinder walls, modified for twin turbo), new crankshaft and bearings, new pistons, different intake/exhaust valves, new turbos, new air intake, new exhaust, new cooling system, heavily modified oil system, etc.

The days of completely new, truly bespoke engines for M cars are behind us. The cost and time involved in developing an engine is simply too burdonsome.

Soldato
BMW just recalled 12000 e46 3 series cars in Australia for the Takata airbag issue, a previously not known to be issue model of airbag looks to have killed someone with shrapnel from the internals on deployment.

BMW are saying to stop using the vehicles this instant (pull over and get a taxi this instant) and they are going to pick up the tab for pickup/alternative transport until it's fixed.

Soldato
Soldato
BMW just recalled 12000 e46 3 series cars in Australia for the Takata airbag issue, a previously not known to be issue model of airbag looks to have killed someone with shrapnel from the internals on deployment.

BMW are saying to stop using the vehicles this instant (pull over and get a taxi this instant) and they are going to pick up the tab for pickup/alternative transport until it's fixed.
BMW love a good recall

Caporegime

I had a recall notice due to an airbag issue for my old e46 a couple of years back, is this a new issue they’ve found?

I don’t own the car any more but know it’s current owner.

Man of Honour
It must affect older ones because my E39 didn't have the first one but did have the second one, and it has the older style pre-round airbag.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
So driving a BEV is basically like playing fuel light bingo every single time you go for a drive. Fun times!
190km range is total BS. I had to Eco Pro+ behind a lorry for the last 15 km as driving at 80-90mph for half an hour with the climate and radio on just used all the juice. This thing barely made it home from the dealer!

Other than that, it's ******* brilliant. As soon as they can get some decent range out of these EVs, the fuel of satan will be a distant memory!

lzlNZVZ.jpg

dUXIDQl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom