ebay... it’s happened again :(

Soldato
I’ve not sold anything for a while on eBay and the last time I did the buyer wanted to return an item before he even received it! Long story short I was left around £30 out of pocket as eBay never refunded fees :(

Fast forward to the present, I’ve just upgraded my computer and looking what people were paying for for stuff on MM I decided to take advantage of the “Max £2 seller fees” and put my i7 4970K CPU on a BIN for £160 inc P&P with no returns (hoping for £150 after fees and postage). It sold within a day and I posted it earlier today via 1st Class signed for pickup at Argos collection point (address given through eBay/PayPal)

a couple of hours ago I get the following message

“Hi, sorry to say but we just figured out that we do not have the correct motherboard for this cpu. We would like to get a refund please. Sorry about the inconvenience.
Thank you.”

Can someone tell me the best way to proceed with this and not lose money or CPU, I’ve not contacted buyer or eBay yet and its already cost me £10 in PayPal fees and postage ☹️

Thanks

Soldato
Don't have to refund.

Happened to me once. Buyer said they wanted to return the item as they no longer want it. I replied just stating I didn't accept returns.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, but I was under the impression that buyers can do a chargeback for whatever reason and saying I don’t except returns makes no difference

Caporegime
Thanks guys, but I was under the impression that buyers can do a chargeback for whatever reason and saying I don’t except returns makes no difference
It’s Accept - make sure you spell it that way in your response! :)

Just word it along the lines of “As clearly stated in my listing, I do not accept returns”

Kyhxbye.

But yes, as said, it’s incorrect for him, not your problem and the fact that he can’t read your advertisement is also his problem not yours.

Soldato
OP
Thanks Scania, don’t know why I put except instead of accept doh!

So how does this sound as a response.

“Sorry but as clearly stated in my advert I don’t accept returns and have already posted your CPU, it might be best to either sell it on or buy a suitable motherboard”

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Make sure you have transferred the money out of PayPal and unlink any cards/accounts after it has hit your account. Worst case scenario your PayPal account goes negative, which you can just ignore (and never use PayPal again).

Soldato
OP
Make sure you have transferred the money out of PayPal and unlink any cards/accounts after it has hit your account. Worst case scenario your PayPal account goes negative, which you can just ignore (and never use PayPal again).

I have withdrawn the money out of my PayPal but not removed my cards, i actually find PayPal useful, surely they can't just withdraw out of my bank account without my permission?

Soldato
Tell them that you are a trusted seller and that you will need to receive the item back before issuing the refund. Wait for it to arrive and via recorded delivery (insisted by yourself that you will also refund) and refund.

Yes you will lose out on a bit of money but at least the cpu will be ready for resale.

Soldato
Stating that you don’t accept returns doesn’t absolve your responsibilities from a return for a faulty item. However, in this case it doesn’t seem right that you should accept (or except) the return because someone didn’t do their research properly. I think your rely was bang on.

You might have an issue if they open a return to say it’s faulty though.

Soldato
OP
Received another message from buyer saying He wants refunding and messaged me 30 mins before I marked as dispatched around 5pm. I posted the cpu at 2:35pm and included a photo of the receipt in my reply below.

“Sorry but as clearly stated in my advert I don’t accept returns and have already posted your CPU at 14:35. it might be best to either sell it on or buy a suitable motherboard. I've already been charged paypal fees and paid postage. I described the cpu clearly and can't understand why you didn't realise till now that your motherboard isn't suitable. Honestly the quickest way to get your money would be to put it back on ebay as a bought in error”

Soldato
Ebay refund fees for cancelled transactions. I'm not sure why you think otherwise.

Received another message from buyer saying He wants refunding and messaged me 30 mins before I marked as dispatched around 5pm. I posted the cpu at 2:35pm and included a photo of the receipt in my reply below.

“Sorry but as clearly stated in my advert I don’t accept returns and have already posted your CPU at 14:35. it might be best to either sell it on or buy a suitable motherboard. I've already been charged paypal fees and paid postage. I described the cpu clearly and can't understand why you didn't realise till now that your motherboard isn't suitable. Honestly the quickest way to get your money would be to put it back on ebay as a bought in error”

If I was buyer I'd just reject the delivery. Then ebay will force the refund. That'd be the easiest way.

Soldato
From experience paypal send debt collectors after you if you have a negative balance.

Soldato
I have withdrawn the money out of my PayPal but not removed my cards, i actually find PayPal useful, surely they can't just withdraw out of my bank account without my permission?

You have a direct debit set up with paypal to pay all your bills. They already have your permission.

Soldato
Assuming you sent a £160 item using special delivery, I'd tell the buyer to reject the item.

This isn't otherwise going to end well for you.

Soldato
OP
Well this is a fine pickle I’ve got myself into!

Not heard back from buyer since my reply, I sent the CPU to a Argos/Sainsbury’s collection point which I guess further confuses the issue of buyer rejecting and cpu being returned to me? It was sent via Royal Mail 1st class signed for, and yeah I know it’s only insured for up to £50 but I figured I just need proof of it being received.

So assuming I get a message back saying “I want a refund” what will be my best move as in least costly and stressful?

Soldato
Well this is a fine pickle I’ve got myself into!

Not heard back from buyer since my reply, I sent the CPU to a Argos/Sainsbury’s collection point which I guess further confuses the issue of buyer rejecting and cpu being returned to me? It was sent via Royal Mail 1st class signed for, and yeah I know it’s only insured for up to £50 but I figured I just need proof of it being received.

So assuming I get a message back saying “I want a refund” what will be my best move as in least costly and stressful?

Firstly, why send 1st class given the value? Secondly the buyer may choose not to collect it, in which case it just gets returned to you, and hopefully arrives...

Nothing you can do now bar to wait it out. I trust it was very well packaged given 1st class parcel handling.

50/50 on whether you come out of this ok really, get your CPU back, cancel the item, buyer gets refunded and you get fees reversed so all good.

Back
Top Bottom