ZX10R, R1 or other options....

Associate
Hi all,

I have just sold my 1999 CBR900RR Blade and am on the lookout for another bike. I think I have narrowed it down to the ZX10R or an R1.

ZX10R - would either be a 2004/05 (preferably 2005 as I believe they have an upgraded gearbox) or, if I can't find a good condition/mileage/low owner one of these it would be a 2008 model (so I am going to miss out the butt ugly ones).

R1 - looking at a 2008 model again. Don't know an awful lot about these other than what I have read, seem to be reliable and good fun to ride.

I have never had a Yamaha before so that appeals to me. However, I have always had my heart set on a ZX10R and that is the way I am leaning at the moment. My first bike was a ZX6R (F3) and I loved it. Bought it when it had about 16k miles on it and sold it years later having got it to 55k on the clock. Not interested in another Blade at this point and I just don't like the GSXR's.

Anyone have any advice about either of these? Anyone owned one, or both of these, that can give a bit of an insight.

Thanks.

Caporegime
Zx10r 04 are great bikes,very very light and awesome power,gearbox was clunky when you put it in first apart from that I never had any issues,18000 miles on mine,just makesure you buy one with a steering damper or fit one as they are lethal withought,they tankslap like crazy

04/5 models are the best looking imo

Ps the tail plastics tend to be weak and crack under the pillion seat,well atleast on mine

Associate
OP
Zx10r 04 are great bikes,very very light and awesome power,gearbox was clunky when you put it in first apart from that I never had any issues,18000 miles on mine,just makesure you buy one with a steering damper or fit one as they are lethal withought,they tankslap like crazy

04/5 models are the best looking imo

Ps the tail plastics tend to be weak and crack under the pillion seat,well atleast on mine

Yeah, my heart says an 05 plate ZX10R (with the upgraded gearbox), it's just quite difficult to find one in the right condition, low-ish mileage (looking at below 18k really), low owners and as standard as it can be (steering damper, end can and tail tidy would be ideal).

I'm going to go up to Superbike factory on Sunday with a bit of luck. They have a couple in there and I would also quite like to look at a 2009 Triumph Daytona 675 they have in there. A mate of mine suggested one, I have never considered one before, but they do look beautiful bikes.

Man of Honour
I'm going to go up to Superbike factory on Sunday with a bit of luck. They have a couple in there and I would also quite like to look at a 2009 Triumph Daytona 675 they have in there. A mate of mine suggested one, I have never considered one before, but they do look beautiful bikes.

Do not buy from Superbike Factory under any circumstances. They churn out polished turd and have the after sales support of dodgy Dave from the pub.

Associate
OP
Do not buy from Superbike Factory under any circumstances. They churn out polished turd and have the after sales support of dodgy Dave from the pub.

They that good are they? No, to be honest not interested in buying a bike from there. They just happen to have the Zx10R, R1 and the Daytona 675 all under one roof. Hopefully will be able to test ride them all and make my mind up as to which one to go for.

Soldato
Hi all,

I have just sold my 1999 CBR900RR Blade and am on the lookout for another bike. I think I have narrowed it down to the ZX10R or an R1.

ZX10R - would either be a 2004/05 (preferably 2005 as I believe they have an upgraded gearbox) or, if I can't find a good condition/mileage/low owner one of these it would be a 2008 model (so I am going to miss out the butt ugly ones).

R1 - looking at a 2008 model again. Don't know an awful lot about these other than what I have read, seem to be reliable and good fun to ride.

I have never had a Yamaha before so that appeals to me. However, I have always had my heart set on a ZX10R and that is the way I am leaning at the moment. My first bike was a ZX6R (F3) and I loved it. Bought it when it had about 16k miles on it and sold it years later having got it to 55k on the clock. Not interested in another Blade at this point and I just don't like the GSXR's.

Anyone have any advice about either of these? Anyone owned one, or both of these, that can give a bit of an insight.

Thanks.

Had an '07 R1 - utterly brilliant bike, so I would vote for that. The '05 ZX10R is minging looking by comparison :p And the '06 one is a bit fat large arse!

I'd imagine that the Kwacker will have more character, as I recall that being banded around a fair bit 10 or so years ago - but the Yammy is like a ballistic missile when you hit the stopper on the throttle - proper mental!

Used to do a lot of miles on my R1, was actually really comfy for a superbike, decent enough tank range, just a bloody lovely bike - I'd have one again i na heartbeat tbh.

Back
Top Bottom