Looking for a good stainless steel cookware (pots and pans etc) set...

Caporegime
Hi guys,

I did some searching and found a few older threads discussing the various merits of non-stick vs stainless steel, but this is a thread specifically about choosing a stainless steel cookware set. The reason is that after years of non-stick I feel it's time to buy something more durable and permanent and I am an experienced enough cook to handle their quirks.

So, can anyone please recommend a good stainless steel pan set with the following requirements:
  • Less than £300 (required)
  • Small, medium, large pan sizes and preferable frying pans too (required)
  • Durable and thick-bottomed (required)
  • Tempered glass lids with steam holes/vents (required)
  • Straining lids (optional)
  • Pouring notches (optional)
  • Measuring marks (optional)
Recommendations appreciated please! :)

Cheers,

Rich.

Well guys, thanks for all of the recommendations I really appreciate it. After all that palaver I have now ordered the following:

UPDATE 19/03/2020:

In the end I also bought:

I think that more or less covers me now. :)

Update 07/11/2020:

To summarize, I bought the following stuff:

-------------------------

Procook Elite tri-ply stainless steel 4-pan set (14cm, 16cm, 18cm, 20cm) https://www.amazon.co.uk/ProCook-St...Y8ZJRNCWKNE&psc=1&refRID=6TB50XKMCY8ZJRNCWKNE

These are the daddy, I love them. Thick, pretty heavy, tons of cooking space and they cook very evenly. The handles are comfortable and the lids are fine. When researching I was worried as the lids didn't have vents and I was worried that they would steam up too much to see through and always rattle etc etc. Well, they don't generally rattle (unless they are boiling like mad under high heat) and you can see through them after a few minutes when the initial steam build-up turns to water. You can also easily tilt the lids to let a bit of steam out... it's a non-issue. Pouring liquids is also fine and I have had no issues so far. There is a pan size for every need and as I said... they are VERY deep and spacious and this makes such a big and positive difference when cooking sauces vs my old Tefal stuff.

When you are researching and buying it's easy to get drawn into all of the marketing BS and start stressing about if they have pouring spouts, lids with vents and sieves blah blah blah... but in the end it's a non-issue and these pans are the dogs nadgers. If you do want to replace the lids I have found that lids from other pan sets will fit them, so just buy universal ones with vents if it bothers you.

If I could make one addition to these pans it would be to put a helper handle on the two largest ones as they are damn heavy when full of liquid, but still, it's not unmanageable and you just need to use a silicone glove to steady it if it's really full.

I cannot recommend them highly enough. Buy them.

De Buyer 22cm and 30cm carbon steel lyonnaise frying pans https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buyer-5110-24-Carbone-Lyonnaise-Diameter/dp/B000ECO7TY/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=de+buyer&qid=1574743186&sr=8-1&th=1

Everyone should have these in their collection, the cooking is even and the browning is phenomenal. Amazing for omelettes, meat etc... they give professional results. Buy buy buy.

Oh and yeah... they have to be seasoned. Use this guide and do 6 layers (repeat the process 6 times). https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-season-a-cast-iron-skillet-cleaning-lessons-from-the-kitchn-107614

Wusthof Classic 3-Piece Knife Set https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00005MEGJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazing quality knives and so sharp. I am very happy I bought them and have not needed to buy anything other than the 26cm bread knife which is awesome. Fantastic knives.

Denby Dutch Oven 26cm in red https://www.amazon.co.uk/Denby-Roun...ven&qid=1575968645&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&sr=8-1

Works a treat and is very solid. I have chipped it but no biggie and I am sure it will alst years. Great value!

Rosle stainless steel bowls: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ROSLE-Cooking-Utensils-stainless-Silver/dp/B0002F7O9S

Built like tanks with an elegant design and I use them for baking, whisking omelettes or mixing/serving salads. They will last years. Funnily enough I rarely use the silicone lids but I am sure I would if I made larger portions of salads. These bowls are definite purchase recommendation!

Stainless steel colanders set (16/22/28cm) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JGRGNSL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Again, built like tanks yet surprisingly light and the generous sizes and delicate holes means that they are amazing for large quantities of rice, pasta, salad etc. They were a great buy and I use them all the time.

Cooks Standard Multi-Ply Clad Stainless-Steel 5-Qt/4.7L 11-Inch Covered Deep Saute Pan https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00421AYK4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Haven't used it yet so I guess it wasn't as essential as I thought it would be, but I am still glad I bought it for future frying of large items.

Dexam 34cm Professional Gauge Carbon Steel Wok https://www.hartsofstur.com/dexam-34cm-professional-gauge-carbon-steel-wok-12108514.html

Used it a couple of times but had a lot of uneven cooking and sticking food even though I had kind of seasoned it as best I could (it doesn't fit in my oven). it's not ideal on my old ceramic hob, sadly. On a gas or an induction I am sure it would be better.

Any questions let me know. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
check out old thread here 'cuisinart multiclad' .. if you don't have gas (I don't) then good heat distribution is important.

Associate
I have one of the sets from Procook, not had any issues with them over the past year or so of use. I'd imagine that much cash money would get their more premium lines, they usually have a sale on at most times also!

Soldato
What do you guys think of the Tefal Ingenio Stainless Steel set? Seems to be well made and extremely space-conscious with the stacking design. https://www.tefal.com.au/Cookware-&-Kitchenware/Ingenio-Cookware/Ingenio-Cookware/Ingenio-Stainless-Steel-Induction-13-Piece-Set/p/2100096250

Reviews seem pretty awesome on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-Inge...XY8N3TM5Z37&psc=1&refRID=X5JX8B3PAXY8N3TM5Z37

Only having two handles would drive me nuts.

I've had good experiences with a Meyer Select set that meets all your criteria except the measuring marks. When I did have a problem with a pan (manufacturing fault) I just emailed them a picture and they shipped me a replacement out in a couple of days. I've been abusing these pans regularly for nearly ten years (including always sticking them in the dishwasher), and they've only got scratches where I've jammed them up against other pans in the drawers. Obviously the two non-stick pans will wear their surfaces over time, but the stainless ones are pretty indestructible. We bought them for our induction hob, and they work very well for that, I'm not sure what they would be like on gas.

It's worth noting that the lids don't have steam holes as such, but you can chose to turn the lids so the strainers align with the lips, and this will allow steam to escape. If you turn them the other way, the lids are on without holes, so for instance you can steam cook rice without letting the steam escape, or turn the lids to boil and let the steam out. The strainer lids have small and large holes, so you can strain without losing small things.

They do have plastic grips under the handles/lids, so you probably can't put them in very hot ovens. The lid handles can get hot, so you either use a cloth or sort of hook your fingers under the handle so you only touch the grips, not the top stainless part, but I've never had the pan handles get too hot to hold with induction, I don't know if that would be the case with a gas flame going up the side.

Man of Honour
What do you guys think of the Tefal Ingenio Stainless Steel set? Seems to be well made and extremely space-conscious with the stacking design. https://www.tefal.com.au/Cookware-&-Kitchenware/Ingenio-Cookware/Ingenio-Cookware/Ingenio-Stainless-Steel-Induction-13-Piece-Set/p/2100096250

Reviews seem pretty awesome on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-Inge...XY8N3TM5Z37&psc=1&refRID=X5JX8B3PAXY8N3TM5Z37

We recently bought a 20 piece set of the aluminium pans with teflon nonstick back from France, we already have some good stainless pans from 15 or so years ago, but needed some more pans. We paid €70. So far, pretty impressed. The lack of a handle on each isn't an issue as it takes second to move the handle, plus they're not hugely expensive if you decide you need more. Also picked up some lids too. Everything just stacks so neatly. Other half is so happy with them.

May go for some stainless later, same lids, handles and other accessories so no need to change them. Plus can import from France through friends/family where they are a lot more reasonably priced and common, they're available from supermarkets over there.

Caporegime
OP
Only having two handles would drive me nuts.

I've had good experiences with a Meyer Select set that meets all your criteria except the measuring marks. When I did have a problem with a pan (manufacturing fault) I just emailed them a picture and they shipped me a replacement out in a couple of days. I've been abusing these pans regularly for nearly ten years (including always sticking them in the dishwasher), and they've only got scratches where I've jammed them up against other pans in the drawers. Obviously the two non-stick pans will wear their surfaces over time, but the stainless ones are pretty indestructible. We bought them for our induction hob, and they work very well for that, I'm not sure what they would be like on gas.

It's worth noting that the lids don't have steam holes as such, but you can chose to turn the lids so the strainers align with the lips, and this will allow steam to escape. If you turn them the other way, the lids are on without holes, so for instance you can steam cook rice without letting the steam escape, or turn the lids to boil and let the steam out. The strainer lids have small and large holes, so you can strain without losing small things.

They do have plastic grips under the handles/lids, so you probably can't put them in very hot ovens. The lid handles can get hot, so you either use a cloth or sort of hook your fingers under the handle so you only touch the grips, not the top stainless part, but I've never had the pan handles get too hot to hold with induction, I don't know if that would be the case with a gas flame going up the side.

They look nice but only oven safe to 180c is a little limiting and I am guessing that is due to rubber/silicone on the handles?

We recently bought a 20 piece set of the aluminium pans with teflon nonstick back from France, we already have some good stainless pans from 15 or so years ago, but needed some more pans. We paid €70. So far, pretty impressed. The lack of a handle on each isn't an issue as it takes second to move the handle, plus they're not hugely expensive if you decide you need more. Also picked up some lids too. Everything just stacks so neatly. Other half is so happy with them.

May go for some stainless later, same lids, handles and other accessories so no need to change them. Plus can import from France through friends/family where they are a lot more reasonably priced and common, they're available from supermarkets over there.

Hmm thanks for the feedback, I will consider them. As Steampunk said though, the lack of handles would mean I would have to buy a couple extra. Seems like lids are extra too.

Caporegime
OP
Well guys, I have been researching like crazy during the last days and looking at a mix of inexpensive and expensive stuff and when I aggregate all of the reviews and feedback I can't find much better than this set from Amazon:

Velaze Cookware Set, Series Motti, 12-Piece Stainless Steel Pot & Pan Sets, Induction Safe, Saucepan, Casserole, Casserole, pan with Glass lid (Set of 12) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Velaze-Coo...7CNN2RD5/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

12 PIECES PRODUCT INCLUDES – Pot 18 cm x 8.5cm (2.1L) and Casserole 24 cm x6.5cm, 16 cm x 7.5cm, 20cm x 9.5cm, 24cm x 11.5cm with tempered glass lid . A good lid to conserve heat, you can easily monitor your cooking progress.

BUILT TO LAST – The Classic cookware set is made of premium quality 18/10 stainless steel, the mirror polished cooking surface is perfect for the kitchen worktop, does not fade, reacts with food or alters flavors. The aluminum encapsulated in the base ensures fast and uniform heating, zero hot spots. The handles with solid rivets offer maximum durability even with full and heavy pans.

PRACTICAL DESIGN – Tightened tempered glass covers with stainless steel edges seal the natural juices and nutrients of the food for healthier and tastier results. Practical signs of engraving for easy measurement. The glass lids allow you to clearly monitor the cooking process. The pot is suitable as a pot for soups, pot for vegetables, pot for pasta; casserole stew for the preparation of milk or sauces; pan and plate for frying and brazing.

VERSATILE PERFORMANCES – Cookware Set is suitable for all configurations of kitchens and hobs (including induction). Safe oven up to 430 ℉ (220 ℉ with tempered glass lid); the dishwasher is safe and easy to clean; the refrigerator is safe for better food storage

QUALITY ASSURANCE – Velaze covered with 180 days refund, full lifetime replacement warranty and 24-hour friendly and prompt customer service. We guarantee a simple and enjoyable culinary experience. If for any reason you are not satisfied with your cookware set, contact us and we will solve any problem you may have. An affectionate greeting to the chef!

Reasons are:
  • Design is nice
  • Has every pan size I will need.
  • Has all the features I need such as glass lid, measuring markers and rounded pouring sides. Also oven-proof to 220c.
  • Made from 18/10 stainless steel
  • User reviews are awesome
Anyone see any genuine, non-subjective downsides to such a well-built and well-featured set for less than £50... :)

Soldato
due diligence .. you've looked at the handle attachments and metal folding in its vicinity ? ergh why is that there ?
they don's seem to give metal thickness either ... doubt it would stop a 45 like demeyere 5mm
£8/pan is cheap, and like similar thread on buying sets of knives just buy the sizes you really need in a, last for life, guaranteed for 25years quality.

like these £30/pan, or earlier suggestions
ProCook Professional Stainless Steel Saucepan Set - 4 Piece - Induction Pans with Toughened Glass Lids and Heat-Resistant Handles
even though valaze are fulfilled by amazon 2years plus, and you're on your own ... ok companiesa can go bust.

Caporegime
OP
due diligence .. you've looked at the handle attachments and metal folding in its vicinity ? ergh why is that there ?
they don's seem to give metal thickness either ... doubt it would stop a 45 like demeyere 5mm
£8/pan is cheap, and like similar thread on buying sets of knives just buy the sizes you really need in a, last for life, guaranteed for 25years quality.

like these £30/pan, or earlier suggestions
ProCook Professional Stainless Steel Saucepan Set - 4 Piece - Induction Pans with Toughened Glass Lids and Heat-Resistant Handles
even though valaze are fulfilled by amazon 2years plus, and you're on your own ... ok companiesa can go bust.
I get your point although thre Valeze reviews seem very positive. The Procook stuff looks like a good balance of price and performance for better quality stuff. However annoyingly they don't have a stainless steel uncoated and straight-sided saute pan, only non-stick. https://www.amazon.co.uk/ProCook-Pr...ProCook+saute&qid=1574158390&s=kitchen&sr=1-4 :(

Caporegime
OP
Hey guys I am back after more research...

I have seen the following set of pans on Amazon from a company called Stellar and they seem to be just the ticket... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stellar-Sa...GG1GBJV&qid=1574315093&rnid=3147411&s=kitchen

Great reviews (only complaint being the weight and lid handles getting hot), heavy and durable with all of the features I want. However I do have one concern... with heavier SS pans is it really better to have an additional handle on the front to supplement the long one at the back? I do suffer a little from RSI which flares up now and then so I am wondering if the additional weight of SS will take its toll. I currently have aluminium ones which cause me no issues so maybe I am worrying about nothing here... :)

Soldato
@Richdog I have that exact set, they're really good. My mum recommended them to me, she got hers as a wedding gift set 2 years before I was born (I'm 26) and they're still going.

The big one when full of water and spuds is quite heavy but it's manageable. The handles big enough that you can put two hands on it if you're really struggling. The vent holes are really handy for draining water when boiling rice/pasta etc.

I've never had a problem with hot handles, unless you have the handle angled over another hob that's on. I always angle my handles out of where the burners are.
Edit: just reread what you wrote "lid handles" yes they do get hot, depends on your tolerance, I can grab it to take it off and it's okay. If you held it for a long period of time it would probably burn you, sometimes I take the lids off with a tea towel.

I want to get one of their SS frying pans now as my frying pan was a cheap one I bought for uni nearly 8 years ago and it's seen better days.

Last edited:
Associate
I was in John Lewis earlier and noticed that they have a lot of SS pans on sale. Not sure if you can get to one of their shops easily but might be worth a look.

For any pan, you want to make sure it has a good thick base. Thin bases cause scorching.

Soldato
Stella ones are good have one 7000, picked up in TKmax a couple of years ago, but even so, with a ceramic hob, which along with induction, have one ring beneath,
I can scorch stuff ... that never happened with gas before; electric is probably good too though, since heat source is spread.
(oven cleaner is great for removing burnt stuff!)
that's the main reason I will probably try a tri-ply the next time round, or some good friday deal jumps out at me.

not sure you can't get the stella ones individually for ~ the same price
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stellar-Draining-Stainless-Steel-Saucepan/dp/B015B23XT6

the real big one we have gets little use so I wouldn't replace it.

.. never had one with a spout .. picture show spout on left .. which seems wrong for me, rhanded, usually carry saucepan in left ?

Back
Top Bottom