Poll: When do you put your Christmas tree up?

When do you put your Christmas tree up?

• 1st December

Votes: 48 41.0%
  • Any other date (this is the wrong answer, especially if you put it up before the 1st December)

Votes: 69 59.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
I try and get my Mrs to wait until the second week of December but she almost always manages to get me to do it earlier. Every day after the 1st is a success though in my book, I'd have it legally enforced that the earliest date to put up decorations would be the 20th December if I could. Some morons over the road from us put there's up last weekend. Bah humbug. I love Christmas but want it to be celebrated more succinctly.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
We have had one up for a week already... but that's in my wife's home salon.

The tree in the living room will be going up on Sunday 1st December. Some years it's earlier, depending when the weekend falls before December.

Last edited:
I haz 4090!
Don
We have had one up for a week already... but that's in my wife's home saloon.

The tree in the living room will be going up on Sunday 1st December. Some years it's earlier, depending when the weekend falls before December.

Does it go next to the corner sofa?

Soldato
Usually the weekend that's closest to a fortnight before christmas, so this year weekend of 7th/8th. However, if I'm going to be too busy it can be earlier but never before December 1st.
Is it ever appropriate for a* Christmas tree to go up in November?
There are exceptions I'm ok with. A friends husband was going out to Afghan and wouldn't be there for Christmas so they did Christmas in November. They were having other family round for 25th December so left the tree and decs up. That seems reasonable enough.

Soldato
Wife wants it up this weekend, ooh err, so the tree and decos will be up sooner.

Wilko also had loads of 80s style decorations for sale this year, so we bought a bunch of those - it'll be like my childhood all over again :D

Soldato
I was travelling earlier this week, and while Manchester airport had nothing up, Brussels had trees everywhere. The hotel in Madrid was well decked out too.

Soldato
There are exceptions I'm ok with.

A few years ago the very large company I worked for had a re-org, and our department was going to cease to exist in October. As we tried to decide how to say goodbye, we eventually settled on having a Christmas party to make up for the fact that we wouldn't get a proper one that year.

So there were about 100 of us in Christmas get-up, and we had the canteen section off a bit for us, serve Turkey dinner with all the trimmings, and they even put the decorations up and crackers out for us. Was a really nice send off, but everyone else was rather puzzled.

Associate
Does the answer differ if it's a real tree or a plastic one? I'm not sure if I put a real tree up on 1 December it would be in any good shape come Christmas day.

I chose 1st December (Advent). Really though, I pick the nearest weekend to Advent. So it can be Fri/Sat/Sun if any of those fall on 1st December or give or take by a day if the 1st falls in the mid-week. This year will be 1st December as it falls on a Sunday.

As for post #3, I wouldn't class Die Hard as a Christmas film. This is because Christmas isn't the main theme of the film. The bulk of it is passengers trying to survive on an aeroplane that has been hijacked. The "Let It Snow" theme tune at the end is just a red herring.

Disney's Frozen, however much I like it, definitely ISN'T a Christmas film!

Christmas films to me would include: The Muppets (numerous titles), A Christmas Carol, the Snowman, some cartoon specials e.g. Garfield / Dennis the Menance / Bug's Bunny, and pretty much any films with "Santa Claus" in the title.

Back
Top Bottom