*** The official 2019 MacBook Pro thread (it has eight cores and everything!) ***

Soldato
My new 16 inch MacBook Pro arrived today.

got some disposing to do of some of my old devices...

pByz8ZB_d.jpg

Great setup, its interesting how so so many of us are all now switching to Mac setups and EGPU - I'm 37 I wonder how many in their 30/40's doing the same for the following reasons:

1) Mac for work, OSX just works and isn't intrusive like windows, no spyware either.
2) Duel boot into window for games
3) EGPU is plenty 'fast enough' for gaming, not bothered about an extra 10/15 frames for double the outlay - don't need them for games I play (divinity, ksp, xcom etc)

It seems real world functionality and ease of use is winning people over, other bonuses are I can take my egpu in my campervan with my MBP 2016 and game on that no problems as well, day to day in the office I use it on my Mac mini - again plenty fast enough now for work (I do photo and video editing for a living so im a demanding user and a Mac mini with 64gb ram is easily 'fast enough' for Final Cut Pro)

Anyways just my thoughts one Mac mini/mbp user to another! would love others thoughts as they weigh in on this.

Soldato
I'm about to do the same thing, albeit with a Dell XPS laptop and Core X Chroma.

Have a Macbook Pro 13 atm, with a desktop setup which I use when I'm at home. It's annoying not having the same stuff on both, so planning to sell the laptop and PC and just get the XPS 15 and hook it up to the eGPU when at the desk and wanting to play games etc.

Will be nice just to detach the TB3 cable and just have all my files and Chrome tabs etc. with me when I don't want to be stuck at my desk at home.

Soldato
Looks like the mark on my trackpad, in the picture a few posts up, is very much still there. Am I being stupid for being quite annoyed about that? Even though it's minor and can only be seen in the right light... Should I put up with it or am I being petty for even contemplating taking it back?

Soldato
Looks like the mark on my trackpad, in the picture a few posts up, is very much still there. Am I being stupid for being quite annoyed about that? Even though it's minor and can only be seen in the right light... Should I put up with it or am I being petty for even contemplating taking it back?

I guess at the end of the day if you buy a £2-3k laptop then it should really be flawless and free from any imperfections. I used to kind of let things slide when I bought a product if there were minor issues but I'd found things like that tend to annoy me more as time goes by. I'd take it back to the store and see what they say?

Associate
Great setup, its interesting how so so many of us are all now switching to Mac setups and EGPU - I'm 37 I wonder how many in their 30/40's doing the same for the following reasons:

1) Mac for work, OSX just works and isn't intrusive like windows, no spyware either.
2) Duel boot into window for games
3) EGPU is plenty 'fast enough' for gaming, not bothered about an extra 10/15 frames for double the outlay - don't need them for games I play (divinity, ksp, xcom etc)

It seems real world functionality and ease of use is winning people over, other bonuses are I can take my egpu in my campervan with my MBP 2016 and game on that no problems as well, day to day in the office I use it on my Mac mini - again plenty fast enough now for work (I do photo and video editing for a living so im a demanding user and a Mac mini with 64gb ram is easily 'fast enough' for Final Cut Pro)

Anyways just my thoughts one Mac mini/mbp user to another! would love others thoughts as they weigh in on this.

I resisted for 2 years with a Macbook using Windows. Went to a new job where I couldn't use Windows so had to stick it out with MacOS. Haven't looked back once I got the learning curve over with. Now an Apple W****

Soldato
I don't know if Apple are running this same Black Friday offer in the UK but over here they're giving up to $200 in gift cards on Black Friday. I reached out and was told that I could claim it on my MacBook Pro 16 order that was delivered last week. They originally said that I should return it and reorder on Black Friday but after I told them I'd rather not do that they said that I should be fine contacting them again on Friday to claim it.

Associate
Guys,

How does a 2019 13" MacBook Pro mid range stand up against a 2015 15" MacBook Pro apart from the obvious, (screen size, storage etc) ? I'm thinking about renewing as I've got a buyer lined up for my 15". Screen size I'm happy to have to forgo for a little more portability. Usage is pretty basic stuff, excel, word and web based clients but maybe starting with a little touch of Photoshop as needs are increasing slowly.

TIA

Soldato
My trackpad mark vanished again with just a quick wipe from a cloth with glass cleaner, but I wasn't too willing to wait around to see if it came back. The mildly irritating mark coupled with the fact that I spotted the exact same laptop for £260 cheaper elsewhere meant that the only sensible option was to take it back to the Apple store for a refund and to buy it again elsewhere. The lazy part of me almost won out, but £260 difference is a bit too substantial to ignore.

Soldato
Guys,

How does a 2019 13" MacBook Pro mid range stand up against a 2015 15" MacBook Pro apart from the obvious, (screen size, storage etc) ? I'm thinking about renewing as I've got a buyer lined up for my 15". Screen size I'm happy to have to forgo for a little more portability. Usage is pretty basic stuff, excel, word and web based clients but maybe starting with a little touch of Photoshop as needs are increasing slowly.

TIA

I had a late 2014 15” 16GB and went to a 13” 2019 with only 8GB ram. Tbh it’s not much different for what I do. It loads things quicker and feels a bit snappier but not a massive difference. The screen is nicer though the colours seem more accurate and nicer to look at.

Soldato
Likewise, I'd be keen to know though at the moment I think I'd prefer to wait for a refresh of the 13" model which will hopefully increase the screen size to 14" and feature the updated keyboard.

Soldato
Had my 16" MBP for over 3 months now and I'm still loving it. No hassles at all and it handles everything I throw at it but best of all, unlike my 2018 MBP, I'm confident the keyboard will still be working fine for years to come.

Soldato
Certainly better than last years model and a lower price. I’d wait for a tear down, I’d expect it has a Y series processor with limited cooling, you’ll not see 3.5ghz often and it will be only on one core. I doubt you’ll see much of a sustained all core turbo, if at all.

Should be fine for Facebook and general school/office work though which I guess is what it’s made for.

The configurator is not very ‘Apple’, they normally don’t let you spec the cheaper model up too much but they are letting you basically chose any option with it, interesting....

Soldato
Today is the big day, ordered by base spec 16" mbp to replace my creaking mid 2012 15" retina mbp!

I know a little part of me is just wanting something new to play with as my '12 mbp could do another year, but there's going to be a fair bit of work from home this year so I might as well enjoy some better performance out of my Mac.

How is everyone finding theirs?

Back
Top Bottom